Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
Books
Books began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
New 505 - Not authorized for the eBook Store

Hi,

I am a new user having decided on a PRS 505 as my first ereader device. I was very fortunate to have found and purchased an unopened (last one they had in the greater area) new 505 model hidden behind all the shiny new 300's and 600's at my local Best Buy.

I probably put 3 weeks of reading these forums and evaluating pros and cons to come to my decision that the PRS 505 model was for me. I am very happy with the quality and construction of the device. I thank you all in helping me in weighing my decision.

My question/problem is my reader under the "About" menu says "Not authorized for the eBook Store". However, I did download the new Reader Library software from Sony and I did register an account. My account DOES say I have the device authorized. I even de-authorized and re-authorized thinking this might cause the reader to reflect correctly its status. This did nothing. I have also tried resetting the device using the pin hole on the back, and another time formatting the internal memory. Unfortunately, these attempts did nothing to correct the status.

Other than the cosmetic issue of what is displayed on the device's "About" screen I seem to be able to purchase and read ebooks from the Sony Reader store except one which opens up to a "Page Error!" message. From skimming threads I believe it's a result of what I found in thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28108

post #15. I don't think it's a related issue - not sure.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks for your help.
Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I'd not worry if you're able to download current books - there's a good chance that it's a matter of changes to the Sony Store, specifically their changing from LRF/LRX to EPUB, has got ahead of the firmware.

I'd expect that you're probably not authorized to buy LRX formats from the Sony Store... but as they no longer sell that format, it makes no difference whatsoever! :-)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
Books
Books began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Just downloaded another book and reads fine.

Your explanation makes sense.

Thanks!
Books is offline   Reply With Quote