Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-14-2023, 02:23 AM   #511
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fduniho View Post
I already bought and read the hardcover, and don't live in the UK anyway. Because of its large color illustrations, I recommend reading it as a hardcover and not as an ebook.
It's confusing to me why you should post about a certain title in this particular thread – “Books you gave up on ever being ebooks” – and then act uninterested when it turns out the book you mentioned is an ebook after all. Did you err in your first post? Why do you hold such strong opinions about a digital edition you evidently didn't even know existed?

The Last Hero is one of my favourite print books in my whole collection, and the digital edition doesn't disappoint me one bit. Every single one of Paul Kidby's illustrations is present. Every page is there, identical to how it is in print. Even the two-page spreads work perfectly on my reader in landscape mode. And despite every single page being an image, the file size is actually quite reasonable.

Yes, definitely read The Last Hero in print; Kidby's work is worth it. But that's no reason to avoid also having it as an ebook, if that's something you want.
isarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 08:44 PM   #512
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by isarl View Post
It's confusing to me why you should post about a certain title in this particular thread – “Books you gave up on ever being ebooks” – and then act uninterested when it turns out the book you mentioned is an ebook after all.
What is confusing about not being interested in getting an ebook after I have already read the book? I don't buy ebooks to collect them. I buy them to read them, and I'm happy to borrow them when I can.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2023, 01:27 AM   #513
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fduniho View Post
What is confusing about not being interested in getting an ebook after I have already read the book?
What is confusing is that you are replying to a thread titled "Books you gave up on ever being ebooks", implying that you wished The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett were available. Then, when someone helpfully pointed out that it was in fact available, your response was essentially "who would want to read that as an ebook anyway?"
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 01:42 PM   #514
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
What is confusing is that you are replying to a thread titled "Books you gave up on ever being ebooks", implying that you wished The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett were available. Then, when someone helpfully pointed out that it was in fact available, your response was essentially "who would want to read that as an ebook anyway?"

Maybe we can combine this great thread with these other threads:

Books that are too heavy to read
Books that were never written because the author died - Bad Author
How to read
Threads I gave up on ever being ebooks
ebooks I gave up on ever being threads
So you wanna read a book?
How to make porridge

And if the above threads don't exist, well then...hell...we'll create some new threads.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 03:16 PM   #515
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Books that are too heavy to read
I hope in this case 'heavy' is being used in the sixties US slag way: wow, that book's really heavy, man...
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2023, 04:42 PM   #516
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I hope in this case 'heavy' is being used in the sixties US slag way: wow, that book's really heavy, man...
Great Scott!!
Old 02-19-2023, 08:21 PM   #517
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Books that were never written because the author died - Bad Author
At times, I almost wish the Library of Lost Books in the Devil’s Point theme park in Holly Lisle and Ted Nolan's Hell on High was real. If nothing else, the sequel to The Witches of Karres that was lost when James H. Schmitz moved would be one book I would want to read.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 06:38 AM   #518
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
At times, I almost wish the Library of Lost Books in the Devil’s Point theme park in Holly Lisle and Ted Nolan's Hell on High was real. If nothing else, the sequel to The Witches of Karres that was lost when James H. Schmitz moved would be one book I would want to read.
I remember loving The Witches of Karres. I read it when I was a teenager.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:11 AM   #519
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
I remember loving The Witches of Karres. I read it when I was a teenager.
It would be considered horribly non-PC now, of course. I loved it when I read back in the day, but if I read it now I'd be wincing over it.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 09:21 AM   #520
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Wayne rainey, his own story. The 2010 edition that has additional material compared to the 1997 edition. Bought the paperback soon after release and have (of course) read it. But there is so much in it that I'd like to go back to without rereading the whole thing. It's hard to find those specific sections where for example a certain person might be mentioned but Ebooks are so awsome for that (and I truly hate reading paperbacks)! But unfortunately I can't see it happening.
https://www.amazon.com/Wayne-Rainey-.../dp/1844258629
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 09:31 AM   #521
isarl
Addict

I like having digital editions of my cookbooks for similar reasons; easier to search through the text, for example. But I've just about given up on Phaidon's The Silver Spoon to be made available as an ebook.
Old 02-21-2023, 01:50 PM   #522
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by isarl View Post
I like having digital editions of my cookbooks for similar reasons; easier to search through the text, for example. But I've just about given up on Phaidon's The Silver Spoon to be made available as an ebook.
Search function and lookup when reading in a foreign language are two of the things I love with ebooks! I can absolutely understand the desire for e-cookbooks!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:59 AM   #523
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I would love to have the original version, as an ebook, of the Lancer paperback edition of One Million Centuries, by Richard A. Lupoff. [1967]. Below is an image of that First edition published by Lancer.

The later two versions out there were apparently revised by the author.

Here's a later version [1981]. This is the first paragraph of Chapter 1:

CHAPTER
A touch so light it was hardly there was the first evidence of returning consciousness. A touch, a feeling of cold through every bone and fiber, a gurgling, trickling sound, a sense of motion passing over his body, the touch. It moved from Parker’s hip toward one knee, a tiny pressure, tiny, incredibly delicate, yet it held the full consciousness of the man as he lay on his left side.

Here's yet a later version [2015 edition ??]. This is the first and second paragraph of Chapters 1 and 2:

chapter ONE
PARKER CURSED and brushed a heavily gloved hand across his sweating brown brow. He peered through the thick plexiglass window of the chopper’s cabin, the corners of his mouth tugging downward in annoyance at the blinding white flakes outside.

chapter TWO
[NOTE: This is the exact same paragraph as Chapter 1 from the 1981 edition.]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OneMillionCenturies.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	200119  
Old 03-09-2023, 05:41 PM   #524
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Don, based on this Amazon review it sounds like the original 1967 version started with the first chapter set in the 20th century and the second and subsequent chapters set in the future. So, perhaps, the 2015 edition restores the original 1967 edition?
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 08:34 AM   #525
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Don, based on this Amazon review it sounds like the original 1967 version started with the first chapter set in the 20th century and the second and subsequent chapters set in the future. So, perhaps, the 2015 edition restores the original 1967 edition?
I don't have enough information to know if that's true; however, it's possible you may be right on all counts. I just don't know.

I do know that I've seen both editions, but this was years ago. From what I remember, the Lancer edition seemed like a hefty tome compared to that 'Timescape' edition published in 1981.

The Lancer edition is not particularly expensive, or even rare. It's just that I'm stuck in Peru this year and can't easily order one without paying an exorbitant shipping fee.

Hey, thank you for your interest in this. I appreciate it.