Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
k2i new owner - few questions

I've ordered my K2i and I'm patiently waiting to start playing with it. For background most of my library is already sitting on my PC (txt and pdf mostly) and I'll be using Calibre to transfer. In the mean time I had a few questions:
  • I love the look of ipads bookshelf - seeing all the book covers etc. Can this be simulated on the kindle as static html pages and is there software to do this?
  • Is there a way of storing favourite web book marks on the kindle, I've seen standard items like google appear but never an individual user's bookmarks? I guess I could create a static page that linked to these pages.
  • I understand it can access gmail but can it access yahoo mail?
  • Is Calibre the best way of getting RSS feeds to my K2i? What would I do if I'm on holiday?
  • Are there any applications available for it or has anyone tried creating any? I believe the SDK language is Java.

Mike
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
An answer to some of your questions...

* Bookmarks... just click MENU when you're on a webpage and it'll have the option to BOOKMARK THIS PAGE.

With mobile-compatible email (the kindle is considered a mobile device even though it isn't a smart phone)... your best bet is to just try to access yahoo mail with the Kindle's browser... if it can't do it, it can't.

Gmail works pretty well I've found so far... same goes with all other sites... just try them out... deviantart works well... haven't had the time to play around with it that much seeing as I've only had the 2.5.2 update installed for a few days and I've got Uni exams coming up next week.

my guess is (I'm not a real super geek... more of a pseudo geek), that standard html and xml based sites are all good seeing as its all text based.

* No bookshelf views on the Kindle (just yet)... I'm sure Amazon have more tricks up their sleeves for our "still the best on the market" Kindles... if they gave us all the goodies now, then the Nook and others would leave us in their wake with their gradual improvements.

Calibre is freaking awesome for ebook management... not sure about the RSS feeds...

hope this all helps somewhat
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert