Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 03:58 AM   #1
overflo
overflo began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon n516
Hanvon N516 trouble installing OpenInkpot

I have purchased a Hanvon n516 for the sole purpose of installing OpenInkpot. I have connected to computer via usb but when I boot up (while holding the rotate button) the light on the Hanvon comes on but only at about half brightness. Nothing else happens and it doesn't register that it is connected (although it does if it is booted up normally). I can only get it out of this state by pressing the reset.

I tried running the USB_Boot.exe anyway but only get an error (Boot fail! Can not connect device!)

If anyone has any suggestions of what I can try next it would be greatly appreciated.

I bought it for my Dad and I want OpenInkpot for the better font size options that the Hanvon doesn't have.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Just a thought, but is your USB port full power? Newish computers will be, but older ones might not be. Does the 516 charge ok through the same USB?
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
overflo

Yep. Computer less than a year old running Windows 7 but have also tried on comp running XP with same result.

But thanks for the suggestion

And whichis the "rotate" button. Just read the manual and the correct names for the buttons are:
OK button
Menu button
Play and record button
Direction buttons
C button
Bookmark button
format switch button
zoom button
power button

have tried most of them now

Last edited by overflo; 05-19-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
ASnoopyDOG
ASnoopyDOG began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon N516 - patched with Scriba V.2.5.3.2 Firmware
Hold the 'format switch button' and push reset on the back side of your device!.
You will see a new device under windows. Your N516 looks like freezing, thats normal.

More details -> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73587
Old 05-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The rotate button is the one at the bottom left, next to the magnifying glass.
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 04:27 AM   #6
overflo

That was the button I tried first but nothing. Have followed the directions(lotsa times that you linked to ASnoopyDog but still nothing appears in device manager. The device does freeze though!!
Old 05-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I am not a tech person, but I would suggest trying to install using a different computer. When I flashed mine I couldn't make it work with my desktop, but it worked the first time I tried using my laptop.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

That's what I was going to suggest. There does seem to be some issue with installing it using Windows 7, and if the XP computer is a few years old it might not have fully powered USB ports. If he has a local independent computer shop it might be worth taking it there, along with the instructions and getting them to have a go.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
overflo

I have tried on 2 machines here at home but i will try at work next week. Maybe will have some luck there.
Thanks for all your replies
Old 05-24-2010, 04:19 AM   #10
overflo

Yay, finally got it. Was the 2nd computer at work I tried so thanks for all your help.

Cheers
Old 05-24-2010, 06:49 AM   #11
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Do you know what the difference was on that computer?
Old 07-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
lector8888
lector8888 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, Hanvon N516
Installing OpenInkpot on Hanvon n516 with Mac

Hello,

This is my introductory post, so, greetings, everyone. Just got a Hanvon n516 with the goal of installing the Openinkpot firmware, but have only Macintosh computers. Is there any way to do this? Thanks!
Old 07-09-2010, 02:13 AM   #13
overflo

Hi Lector

I have no idea but you should try posting the question in a new thread. You'll have a better chance of getting it answered.

Cheers
Old 07-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #14
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

You could try it with a Windows emulator if you don't know anyone with a PC? Or get your local independent computer shop to do it for you.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #15
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lector8888 View Post
Hello,

This is my introductory post, so, greetings, everyone. Just got a Hanvon n516 with the goal of installing the Openinkpot firmware, but have only Macintosh computers. Is there any way to do this? Thanks!
I have a Mac and I had to use Parallels to run Windows XP to do it