lovemov
Enthusiast
lovemov began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Does epub on 505 requires formatting?

I found an old post regarding cache xml and pre-formatting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbaldwin View Post
Did anyone ever figure out the format of the layout elements? I see that the libprs500/calibre ticket was closed because "with EPUB output no precalculation is required". Thanks,

Ken
I wonder if epud requires formatting when load it the first time? All my books are lrf or pdf, lrfs sometimes take very long time to format and this is the major thing prevent me from loading more books into reader. Thanks.
lovemov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
What is your method for loading LRFs on your Sony? If they are loaded via the Sony software then there should not be a delay in formatting. Loading them via any other method, the book will need to format the first time it is opened. I suspect epub will be the same.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
It's different with ePub, in that there's not the delay on opening. There is, however, if I recall correctly, a delay each time you access the TOC...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Thanks for correcting my assumption. Will keep that in mind when I try out some epub files.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
It's different with ePub, in that there's not the delay on opening. There is, however, if I recall correctly, a delay each time you access the TOC...
In addition to the delay on opening being much shorter with epub, I find that changing displayed font sizes is much faster as well. With long lrf books I find that there is a long waiting period the first time you change between any two font sizes, whereas the waiting period is much shorter on epub books and no longer seems dependent on the length of the book.

Last edited by radius; 04-01-2009 at 03:21 PM.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
The deal killer for me as far as reading ePub books on my 505 is the slow access time for the table of contents. I often access the table of contents in the current book I'm reading (to see how long the chapter I'm reading is, etc.) and with ePub books this can take several seconds every time I access the TOC.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I downloaded some ePub from feedbooks using ADE. I did it just like a PDF file, and it opened and worked the same way. However, I did notice that the text is small like PDF. Perhaps if I had reformatted (I'm not there yet!!), I could have adjusted font size?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I downloaded some ePub from feedbooks using ADE. I did it just like a PDF file, and it opened and worked the same way. However, I did notice that the text is small like PDF. Perhaps if I had reformatted (I'm not there yet!!), I could have adjusted font size?
Yes, press the font size button on the reader. It should go from page layout mode to reflow mode.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, press the font size button on the reader. It should go from page layout mode to reflow mode.

BOb
Ok, really stupid question (note my siggy below): reflow means that it re-flows the text so it flows as if it were written with that font in the first place? Whereas books that do not reflow may have text missing; sort of like putting a magnifying glass over a book and the parts that you can't see just disappear and you don't get to see them at all? Anything out of range of magnifying gets left out? and that's the problem with most pdfs?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Ok, really stupid question (note my siggy below): reflow means that it re-flows the text so it flows as if it were written with that font in the first place? Whereas books that do not reflow may have text missing; sort of like putting a magnifying glass over a book and the parts that you can't see just disappear and you don't get to see them at all? Anything out of range of magnifying gets left out? and that's the problem with most pdfs?
No not exactly. When the PDF is displayed in "page" mode it is shrinking the page down so it fits on one screen. For most PDFs which are formatted for Trade paperbacks or bigger that makes the text pretty tiny on a 6inch screen.

When you "re-flow" it, the text in the document is displayed only, without the layout then the font is more the regular size as it would be in an LRF book. However, the "page" may span 2-3 screens. But, for a text only book this is fine since you really just need to read the text. For books with charts, graphs, technical stuff, not so good.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemov View Post
I wonder if epud requires formatting when load it the first time? All my books are lrf or pdf, lrfs sometimes take very long time to format and this is the major thing prevent me from loading more books into reader. Thanks.
No, EPUB books do not require any preparation to be viewable (at least in Adobe implementation). As a result, it does not matter how you copy it to your device.
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
In addition to the delay on opening being much shorter with epub, I find that changing displayed font sizes is much faster as well. With long lrf books I find that there is a long waiting period the first time you change between any two font sizes, whereas the waiting period is much shorter on epub books and no longer seems dependent on the length of the book.
It is because you are not using eBook Library software.
I use it and it doesn't matter how long ebook is, the switch between font sizes takes as long as 1 second, including the first time.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote