Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Your best Christmas present ever?

Mine was when I woke up on my 5th Christmas. There, under the (real) tree festooned with so much tinsel you could hardly see the ornaments, (did YOUR folks make you separate each strand??) was a beautiful two story, metal doll house. Its was stamped with rooms in full color, and filled will plastic furniture. OH! The JOY! AND, it was sitting on a little table and chairs just my size! I can't remember ever getting a gift that pleased me as much.

Your turn!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
My best Christmas present ever was an inexpensive plastic chess set, and a beat-up second-hand introductory book on how to play.

I'd never even thought about chess before. Looking back, I think the aunt that gave me it was floundering for a pressie - but chess has given me decades of pleasure since then (even if I'm still pretty naff at it ).

"Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." - Siegbert Tarrasch
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
My best Christmas present ever was an inexpensive plastic chess set, and a beat-up second-hand introductory book on how to play.

I'd never even thought about chess before. Looking back, I think the aunt that gave me it was floundering for a pressie - but chess has given me decades of pleasure since then (even if I'm still pretty naff at it ).

"Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." - Siegbert Tarrasch
Great! I wonder if you need a certain 'brain pattern' to understand the game. I'm hopeless at it.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Great! I wonder if you need a certain 'brain pattern' to understand the game. I'm hopeless at it.
Don't get me started on chess - I'll bore the pants off you!!

Oh, alright then, if you insist .
One secret is to 'see' the lines of force emanating from the pieces - don't concentrate on the square where a piece is; but on the squares it has influence over. See the lines of force padawan.

Hey!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Don't get me started on chess - I'll bore the pants off you!!

Oh, alright then, if you insist .
One secret is to 'see' the lines of force emanating from the pieces - don't concentrate on the square where a piece is; but on the squares it has influence over. See the lines of force padawan.

Hey!
Aahhh.........thank you, but I doubt I'm good enough to even be a 'padawan' Even an apprentice needs to start with some talent!
Advert
Old 12-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
best ever? a little black book from my brother with names and numbers and ratings already filled in. and a fake id that worked. he was also my best pal as well as an older brother
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
best ever? a little black book from my brother with names and numbers and ratings already filled in. and a fake id that worked. he was also my best pal as well as an older brother

MEN!
Old 12-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
MEN!
are you being judgmental of my feelings? i shared a coming-of-age moment from my past and you seem to get all huffy around the gills and dismiss it

ask around and see how many males will share the contents of their little black books, even with their brother
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
are you being judgmental of my feelings? i shared a coming-of-age moment from my past and you seem to get all huffy around the gills and dismiss it

ask around and see how many males will share the contents of their little black books, even with their brother
"huffy around the gills"?

But you do make a good point about sharing. Points to your brother for sharing.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

No one else has a 'favorite Christmas present ever' moment?

c'mon people, search back in time. You tip-toed into the living room, and there, under the tree......

Even if you say 'bah humbug' to Christmas now, there was a time when you believed.......
Old 12-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've had some pretty horrible Christmases, but for a gift, I suppose in my teens it was a guitar. And as an adult, warm snuggly slippers and robe every year from my mother-in-law. She worried about how cold my hands and feet were in the winter.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I've had some pretty horrible Christmases, but for a gift, I suppose in my teens it was a guitar. And as an adult, warm snuggly slippers and robe every year from my mother-in-law. She worried about how cold my hands and feet were in the winter.

I love love love slippers and robes for Christmas. And yes, haven't we all have horrendous holiday experiences? I"ve put those in my "not to be opened" room in my mind.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #13
The Skwerl
Super Skwerl
The Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500
Mine was when I was 12 yrs old. My parents told us that it we woke up anytime after midnight Christmas morning we can open our gifts. Well I guess my internal clock was working overtime because at 1 minute after 12 I woke and got my brother and two sisters up and we opened presents and low and behold there under the tree was a Starbird spaceship that I wanted something terrible. It was glorious!!
Merry Christmas everyone !!!!
The Skwerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skwerl View Post
Mine was when I was 12 yrs old. My parents told us that it we woke up anytime after midnight Christmas morning we can open our gifts. Well I guess my internal clock was working overtime because at 1 minute after 12 I woke and got my brother and two sisters up and we opened presents and low and behold there under the tree was a Starbird spaceship that I wanted something terrible. It was glorious!!
Merry Christmas everyone !!!!
Thanks for sharing. We have such few truly 'glorious' moments in our lives, we need to remember them once in a while.
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #15
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Last Christmas. Kindle. Need I say more?

Well, yes, because that indirectly led me to this place, where so many wonderful people hang out.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote