Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #31
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcube View Post
Can anyone answer my question? Also is there a reader that I can use to read my purchased ebook from mobipocket? Its a .prc file
You can read your .prc file in Mobi Reader on your PC, or in Mobi Reader on a handheld device such as a PDA. If you don't have that software, you can download it for free from Mobipocket. Did you say what kind of device you wanted to read it on? If so, I missed it.

I would guess that if you can read the file without supplying any kind of code, then your file is non-DRM.

Others here have more detailed knowledge than I do, so if I haven't answered your question, hopefully someone else will.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:00 AM   #32
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Can anyone answer my question? Also is there a reader that I can use to read my purchased ebook from mobipocket? Its a .prc file
You can't tell if it is a DRM file by just looking at it. There are several readers that can read DRM files Mobi format. The iLiad, the Digital Reader, both from iRex; The cybook and the Hanlin (EZ Reader, BeBOOK, Walkbook, lBook) can all read this format. With igorsk scripts you can also read DRM Mobi on a Kindle. Non DRM can be read directly on all of these devices.

If you have already purchased the book then you will have to register the device and redownload the book to read it if it has DRM.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2008, 03:34 AM   #33
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
How do I know if my Mobipocket book is DRM? Its a .prc file. I thought I could use Bookshelf to read mobipocket books?
If you had to select one format before buying the ebook then most likely it has DRM. If you have a Windows PC, try reading it with Windows MobiPocket Desktop Reader. If it does not open (e.g. you get an error about vendor not found), then it has DRM and it is not authorized for your PC. If it does open, then in the library view right click on the ebook and select options to see if it is encrypted or not. On a Mac, try reading it with Stanza - if it does not open it probably has DRM.

A DRMed MOBI ebook can be authorized for up to 4 devices, so if your target device has Reader software from MobiPocket available all you need do is register its PID and redownload the ebook. However, MobiPocket does not have a reader for the iPod Touch yet. So your best option is to use mobidedrm to strip the DRM and then use Stanza (say) to read the ebook.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
How do I know if my Mobipocket book is DRM? Its a .prc file. I thought I could use Bookshelf to read mobipocket books?
Do you know the PID? If you do, you can run it through MobiDeDRM.py 0.04 amd see if it removes the DRM. Or you could try viewing it with Mobipocket Reader that has a different PID.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #35
fishcube
Connoisseur
fishcube began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 5
I got Bonjour working with Shelfserver for the Bookshelf. But, says device not autorized. So, I take it I need to remove the DRM? I guess I'll just download the book, through fictionwise and read it on ereader. Bummer, spent money on mobipocket book...what a waste!

Last edited by fishcube; 11-24-2008 at 10:04 AM.
fishcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #36
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
I guess I'll just download the book, through fictionwise and read it on ereader. Bummer, spent money on mobipocket book...what a waste!
More bad news, I am afraid. You cannot read Mobi books with eReader. Once you have purchased and downloaded the book in a protected format (Mobi, in this case), you cannot generally get it in another secure format, such as eReader.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #37
fishcube
Connoisseur
fishcube began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 5
No, I mean buy the book again, but through ereader. Which is what I did. Works perfectly with my touch now!

By the way, can I bookmark with ereader? How?
fishcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #38
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
No, I mean buy the book again, but through ereader. Which is what I did. Works perfectly with my touch now!

By the way, can I bookmark with ereader? How?
Just tap the upper right corner of the page. It should put a graphic there that looks like dog-eared paper.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:53 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
What was its format described as in the eBook store that you bought it from? Did you have to enter a device PID when you bought it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:45 AM   #40
Lanx
Enthusiast
Lanx began at the beginning.

Device: none
i have a touch2.0 i use my touch as a pda, yes there is actually a great pda program out for the touch now and i've had pda's since the palm pro(and every other device since) this is the best pda i've ever seen, ok aside from that i use it to read a lot pdf's i'm back in college and all my books are in pdf now, the itouch looks amazing, it puts my ds to shame if it had the same viewable area as my psp it'd put that to shame too, and i actually find it more comfortable to read on the touch than my laptop or computer.

i use airsharing it was free when i downloaded it, it's simple to use, download it, put in a few settings and you copy, yes thats right you can copy all the pdfs you need to the touch from wifi, none of that stupid read online storage crap, it lets you actually use the 8/16gigs for more than music or video storage.

the screen is beautiful, if apple made a novel size version of the touch(like sony prs or kindle) i would buy that instantly i love this so much, navigation is a blessing, however it is damn small!!! i can flip it horizonal and read w/o scrolling side to side but i just have to scroll up and down, lots.

i find myself using the touch to read with a lot but i find myself wishing apple would make a bigger version, like now(cuz i have no idea how the sony does pdf's), oh i hate apple btw, i even engraved that they are the evil empire since they offered free engraving.
Lanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #41
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Hi lanx,

What's this great PDA software that you use? I'd like to check it out.
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:20 AM   #42
Lanx
Enthusiast
Lanx began at the beginning.

Device: none
airsharing
Lanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #43
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
I'm already setup with free transfer/access with ssh (winscp) and there's a free USB transfer program who's name escapes me. Diskaid, that's the one.
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote