Notices

Old 06-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
grayfox
Connoisseur
grayfox doesn't littergrayfox doesn't littergrayfox doesn't litter

Device: Razr/iLiad
Mobipocket Reader and Wine?

Hi,

My main boxen are linux(Fedora 9) and MacOSX(leopard)...

Has anyone tried the Mobipocket Reader with either of
the two above systems via Wine or CrossOver?

Thanks,

Jerry
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have seen one report at EeeUser of MobiPocket Reader limping along under wine on the Eee, see E-book Reader Questions. This is under Linux, but not Fedora 9.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
grayfox
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I have seen one report at EeeUser of MobiPocket Reader limping along under wine on the Eee, see E-book Reader Questions. This is under Linux, but not Fedora 9.
Looks to me like they are talking about FBReader...I want to be
able to use the "official" Mobipocket Reader because FBReader
cannot handle the compression that de Drmed mobipocket books are
left with...

Jerry
Old 06-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I tried running Mobipocket under Darwine and wasn't thrilled with the results. In the long run, I found it easier to just use Fusion, for the little I am actually using Mobipocket.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
grayfox
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I tried running Mobipocket under Darwine and wasn't thrilled with the results. In the long run, I found it easier to just use Fusion, for the little I am actually using Mobipocket.
Sigh, that is a lotta money ( XP + Fusion ) just to read some books...

Jerry
Advert
Old 06-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Looks to me like they are talking about FBReader
Part of the thread is about FBReader, but that particular post is about using Wine and MS Reader, eReader and/or MobiPocket Reader.

The way I work around MOBI compression for FBReader is to run Calibre's mobi2oeb, zip the resulting files together and rename the file .oebzip. This isn't perfect, because Calibre does not produce an optimal .opf file, but it allows the ebook to be read by FBReader. In earlier versions of mobi2oeb, I had to delete the .opf file and form a simple .zip of the rest (which is then opened by FBReader as a single-file HTML ebook). What is really needed is a "mobi2mobi" like command that converts from MOBI compression to standard compression, but with any luck Calibre will eventually be able to do this with mobi2epub followed by epub2mobi.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What is missing from the OPF file produces by mobi2oeb? The TOC?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #8
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Sorry, I missed the part about deDRM-ing.

Stanza will read these on Mac OS.

Not nearly as full-featured - but a new program that's growing.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Sigh, that is a lotta money ( XP + Fusion ) just to read some books...

Jerry
http://www.virtualbox.org/ might save you the Fusion cost, at least...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Is anyone using VirtualBox with Sony eBook Library software? VB is supposed to support USB... but does it?

Does VB support a BootCamp partition?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #11
grayfox
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Sorry, I missed the part about deDRM-ing.

Stanza will read these on Mac OS.

Not nearly as full-featured - but a new program that's growing.
Hmm, Stanza is still a bit rough around the edges but it handles deDRMed
Mobipocket ok...

I tried CrossOver on the Mac and it appears to be way too buggy to be
useful.

Does the "mobihuff.py" program remove the compression? That seems
to be the show stopper for FBReader.

Anyway I can't find Mobihuff.py anyway...I think it is on demonoid but
I don't have a membership...(hint hint).

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 06-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What is missing from the OPF file produces by mobi2oeb? The TOC?
The TOC is missing, so typically is the cover images (present but not displayed in the ebook). The .opf can't be used by mobigen because it requires dc:Language to be present.

For example, I tried mobi2oeb on Flatland by Abbott from FeedBooks. The mobi2mobi command lists ENGLISH as the language, the full title in LONGTITLE, four "Subject" entries, and a cover image. The .opf file from mobi2oeb has a truncated title, a single subject, no Language and the book cover does not show up. This did not start out as an OEB ebook, but the .opf file from the ePub version is close to complete (although the TOC has the wrong titles for the parts, correct titles in fb.ncx).
Old 06-19-2008, 02:24 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you open a ticket and attach that file, I'll fix it when I get the time.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The TOC is missing, so typically is the cover images (present but not displayed in the ebook). The .opf can't be used by mobigen because it requires dc:Language to be present.

For example, I tried mobi2oeb on Flatland by Abbott from FeedBooks. The mobi2mobi command lists ENGLISH as the language, the full title in LONGTITLE, four "Subject" entries, and a cover image. The .opf file from mobi2oeb has a truncated title, a single subject, no Language and the book cover does not show up. This did not start out as an OEB ebook, but the .opf file from the ePub version is close to complete (although the TOC has the wrong titles for the parts, correct titles in fb.ncx).
I fixed the truncated title, subject, language. The book cover was already being correctly generated. I dont know what to do about the TOC, since mobi files dont really have a structured TOC.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #15
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
My main boxen are linux(Fedora 9) and MacOSX(leopard)...
Has anyone tried the Mobipocket Reader with either of the two above systems via Wine or CrossOver?
I'm using Linux (Arch Linux) and Mobipocket Reader works fine with Wine (version 0.9.61). It crashes in library view when you try to use some functions, but it's quite usable.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote