Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #31
woe
woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.woe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Apple's "Fairplay" DRM actually was cracked. Google for more info.
iBooks DRM was cracked for a time a few years ago, but the crack was not kept up-to-date and the project is now dead. There is no working FairPlay crack for recent versions of iTunes.

Apple's DRM is, if you will, the 'best' in the business, because Apple have always been the DRM vendor that works most actively to counter cracks. When FairPlay gets cracked Apple change the encryption method in the next version of iTunes and the crackers have to reverse-engineer the system all over again. Eventually Apple removes support for the old version of iTunes and cracks that rely on that version cease to work.

Ten years ago there was a lot of work on cracking FairPlay, but that mostly evaporated when they stopped putting DRM on iTunes music five years ago. One skilled cracker did carry on maintaining his crack for DRMed videos and, later, briefly, iBooks, but he too finally got tired of the game and gave up.
woe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #32
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Don't forget that Amazon is charging US$2 more for many books internationally. International customers are paying more. I always use a proxy server to check the US price before I buy. It is crazy for me to pay $4.99 when the book is only $2.99 in the US site.
I also thought about commenting this with "it is crazy to pay $2.99 when you can get it for free".

I mean when you are starting to break the rules by buying the book from sellers that are not allowed to sell to you then why not just download the book and not pay anything?

And what about the $2 dollar the author loose when you break the rules?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #33
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I also thought about commenting this with "it is crazy to pay $2.99 when you can get it for free".

I mean when you are starting to break the rules by buying the book from sellers that are not allowed to sell to you then why not just download the book and not pay anything?

What about the $2 the author loses every time one of those thieves in cheap countries buys the book in a country where the price is naturally lower? Oh, right...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #34
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
And why should Mr. X in the USA pay $4.99 for the exact same file that would cost me $6.99?

Diesel sells some Forgotten Realms books that only cost $3.48 there. They won't sell them to me. Those same books will cost me $9.61 at Amazon.com. Strangely enough, Feedbooks.com often WILL sell those books to me, for the price of $4.49. That's not $9.61, but it's still more than $3.48.

Who is losing now? Am I paying too much, or too little? It cannot be determined.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #35
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
I'm reasonably sure that Amazon $2 surcharge does not go to the author. Self-published authors certainly used to be very surprised about that addition - they had no idea; they were not the people adding it and they were not the people that surcharge reached.

I think the most common theory (as Amazon has never, to my knowledge, explained the actual reasons for it) is, or at least used to be, that the surcharge is added to Kindle books bought in the, um, non-essential markets in order to subsidise the "free" worldwide 3G that Amazon offers for book downloads.

If this is true, then if you want to make any argument here at all, argue that Amazon is losing money on all those evil people who skip the surcharge - but even that only applies, even vaguely, if those people in those countries use the "free" Kindle 3G to download their purchases. Lots of us don't even own a 3G-capable Kindle and use our own WiFi to download, so that shouldn't incur any extra costs to Amazon.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #36
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by woe View Post
Apple's DRM is, if you will, the 'best' in the business, because Apple have always been the DRM vendor that works most actively to counter cracks.
I like it that you put 'best' in quotes - because the result, as we see here, is a whole lot of people swearing to never buy iBooks.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #37
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I like it that you put 'best' in quotes - because the result, as we see here, is a whole lot of people swearing to never buy iBooks.
Yes, this. My only iBooks are freebies and it will stay that way until I can actually own my books. Apple's DRM is so good it keeps me out of their store.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #38
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Yes, this. My only iBooks are freebies and it will stay that way until I can actually own my books. Apple's DRM is so good it keeps me out of their store.
Me too. I buy music from iTunes, but nothing else.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:33 AM   #39
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Yes, you could Torrent it. In that case, I hope your company one day decides that your work must be free as well.
Bad analogy. My work is not available not torrent, nor can my work be done by any software on torrent.

Where as ebooks can be easily downloaded from torrent, not that I do as to clarify.

Last edited by FinancialWar; 03-01-2014 at 03:35 AM.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:14 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
Where as ebooks can be easily downloaded from torrent, not that I do as to clarify.
So why do you think that people "must be mad to pay for books"? Why is it "mad" to want to support the hard work of authors? Don't you think that they deserve to be paid, just as you expect to be paid for the work that you do?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:07 AM   #41
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

I support authors, but unfortunately most of the money you pay for a book, digital or paper, goes to the publisher and their shareholders.

Last edited by FinancialWar; 03-01-2014 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:11 AM   #42
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I am talking from consumer's perspective, not from author's perspective.
But I think you're missing a point. I'm not a one time consumer, as it doesn't matter the author of the book I'm reading. I pay because I want the author keeps on reading (sorry, I don't buy they must be happy to give their books for free) and I can keep on getting new books.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:18 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I support authors, but unfortunately most of the money you pay for a book, digital or paper, goes to the publisher and their shareholders.
That still doesn't make it "mad" to pay for books. If nobody paid for books, there wouldn't be very many new books to read.

How do you get your books, if you don't pay for them, and you don't illegally download them?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:26 AM   #44
FinancialWar
Banned

I legally download books, books without copyright. You know the really old ones from project Gutenberg.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #45
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Well, now.
That depends on *which* books you buy.
A lot of books return most of their revenue to the author. Though exactly how many do so on any given day is a bit...contentious...
(And the vast majority of those are sold DRM-free...)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote