Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-21-2013, 05:14 AM   #361
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What could you do with it that you can't do with the command prompt in Windows?
You could run just a small handful of carefully selected programs and have all the computer resources for yourself. With the newer operating systems you have obscene numbers of things running that you can't do anything about [without lots of work].

I used to run a SCADA HMI system on a 486 on DOS with Windows 3.11 interface. The only things running were mouse driver, network card driver (very simple, because the very expensive card took care of most of communication stuff), driver for communication with special PLC communication hardware, and of course said SCADA HMI (database, communication, event manager, operator interface screens, logging system, alarm processing ...).
Several [PC] generations later on an XP you needed magnitude more memory and magnitude faster processor to run similar visualization and the screens with hundreds of updates had markedly slower response time, because everything had to run through additional layers, like OPC server, every single animation on the screen was an OLE object that had to go various hops to display value from PLC memory block ...

So, in the good old times you had much better control over what runs on your computer. You can do similar things today, it is just *much* more hassle to configure things and switch off boatloads of stuff you do not want and do not need.

I know, much of stuff you hear on the net is just nostalgia (people forget the bad stuff and only remember the good bits and even that is seen unrealistically).
When you have to go in and actually *use* a very old system (like an old, but still running SCADA HMI system on a 486 computer, where loading of 100MB of stuff from a ZIP drive connected to LPT port takes 60 minutes) you appreciate how much hardware moved forward.
You would simply kill any old PC (DOS or WfW era stuff) if you tried to use it with a large Calibre library or have a look at an SD card with 1000 20megapixel photos on it.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #362
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
What no OS2? or CPM

Luck;
Ken
Never had a CP/M machine - no apps software. (Nor an OS/2 machine either, or and Apple II/III/68* Mac, or a Commordore C64, or...)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #363
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Anybody who says that always assumes everybody has a spare retail Windows version lying around, which is often not the case.
Starting with moving MS Virtual PC to free with Win7 Pro you can d/l a free copy of XP direct from MS. Or have they they discontinued that?
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #364
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
No, they haven't. But, afaik, this version of XP only runs on Virtual PC on Win 7. Pro. Most / many people only have Win 7 Home Premium.

I wonder, could I boot the Virtal PC VM using an imaging program, and dump an image outside it? Then, image it back into as VirtualBox VM. Or something...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:45 AM   #365
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
Starting with moving MS Virtual PC to free with Win7 Pro you can d/l a free copy of XP direct from MS. Or have they they discontinued that?
You can still download and install it. Or at least you could about a month ago when I installed it at work. But it is tied to your installation of Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL and you have to use Microsoft Virtual PC. But, you shouldn't look into the mouth of the gift horse ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #366
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Apparently there's a section of the PC market that is doing pretty well:

Quote:
Google Inc. (GOOG)’s Chromebook was dismissed as a bare-bones laptop with limited appeal when it debuted two years ago. Now it’s defying skeptics and gaining share as the rest of the personal-computer market shrinks.

Chromebooks have in just the past eight months snagged 20 percent to 25 percent of the U.S. market for laptops that cost less than $300, according to NPD Group Inc. The devices, which have a full keyboard and get regular software updates from Google, are the fastest-growing part of the PC industry based on price, NPD said.
Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #367
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
While the figures for the sub $300 market are a little targeted, it's very interesting that since last year the Chromebook market share in the US for the whole of the laptop/netbook market has gone from 1 to 2 percent last year up to 4 to 5 percent so far this year.

Although still a small number, that growth does look significant - if it continues.

And the Samsung ARM Chromebook is still the best-selling laptop at Amazon in the US, and has been for 8 months now!

It's only just been knocked off the top spot in the UK as well, possibly due to stock issues (there are only external suppliers at present).

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #368
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I still miss MS-DOS. There was so many things that I could do with it that takes much more work with Windows.
You are suffering needlessly. DOSBox, if you will excuse the cliche, is a better DOS than DOS. It includes sound card emulation and support for classic video configurations with modern video cards. Enjoy!

http://www.dosbox.com/

I didn't really want to jump on this thread. Where I stand is common knowledge...

1) Only the shape of computing is changing -- the Surface is a small computer.
2) Windows is fine. Eight is great! (sorry)

This morning, I am building a Vista machine. Vista is the most versatile version of Windows ever and runs on modest hardware while supporting modern hardware. I thought you might find my use cases interesting.

1) Media server: I have Rokus in my home and stream media to them from a Plex server. My primary source of programming is OTA and I have a HDHR3 on the network to capture files for my whole house DVR. WMC is ideal for this because it's free and includes a free program guide. WMC also looks nice on a television and supports remote controls. I could go Linux, but that would be harder and there is no Linux version of Playon.

2) Virtualization: I do some work with XP computers and my VPCs stopped working with Windows 8.

3) MovieMaker: The version that came with Vista is the best version of MM.

This machine will run XBMC or nPVR or Plex and output to the television in my bedroom while serving files and streams and encoding videos in the background. It will also be connected to a keyboard, mouse, and monitor on my desk for use as a computer.

You may think this is unusual and not typical, but a company called Sookbox is betting you are wrong. They are trying to do about half of this with a new product...

http://sookbox.com/

Anecdotally, both my kids want new desktops and my wife is thinking about abandoning Windows altogether for a 10" fire with a keyboard. A friend has asked me to help choose a desktop replacement laptop. Some people will always need/want computers. Others only used one because there were no alternatives. Now there are lots of alternatives and that is great. Pundits and Pontificaters manipulate data to support their positions, but the personal computer is here for the foreseeable future.

So is Microsoft.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #369
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
You could run just a small handful of carefully selected programs and have all the computer resources for yourself. With the newer operating systems you have obscene numbers of things running that you can't do anything about [without lots of work].
^ This is why you should run Linux.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #370
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortman View Post
^ This is why you should run Linux.
There are lots of reasons to NOT run Linux.

One of them is the fact that there are many programs for which there is no decent Linux alternative available. There is a lot of hardware that does not fully work under Linux.

Many people who think that Linux is the holy grail, go the wrong way about computing. They do this:

"I am going to run Linux."
"I want to do A, B and C, and X, Y and Z."
"What programs on Linux are available to do that?"
"What hardware do I need, that runs on Linux?"
"Hm... okay... so I need to use an open source driver that only supports SOME functions of my hardware... and I need to run a Windows program using WINE, which will cause a few functions not to work."
"No matter, I'm still running Linux, and that's the only thing that counts. I'll make do."

You should be doing this:

"I want to do A, B and C, and X, Y and Z."
"What hardware do I need?"
"What programs are the best ones?"
"Which operating system can run BOTH the hardware AND the programs, without having to *** around to get it to run?"

In my case, I'll give you an example.

"I want to play chess against my computer on a real board."
"I need a DGT USB chessboard."
"The best user interface is the one from Chessbase."
"The board is only officially supported on Windows."
"Chessbase is a Windows program."

Therefore, I will run Windows. Yes, there are workarounds to get the DGT board running on Linux or the Mac, and there are non-Chessbase chess products, but most of them are inconvenient, incomplete, or unsupported options.

A friend of mine is a guy who does a lot of stuff with media.

"I want to compose music and edit images."
"I need a Midi Keyboard."
"At work, we use Logic for music, and Photoshop for images, so I'll use them at home too."
"The MIDI-keyboard will run in Windows, Mac, and Linux."
"Photoshop will run on Windows and Mac."
"Logic runs only on the Mac."

Thus, he will use a Mac.

There can also be reasons to run Linux, such as wanting to mimic a hosting service's setup for local development of websites, or to write an open source program that will run primairily on Linux, with Windows and Mac being second choices. (One of those programs is The Gimp, or RAWTherapee, for example.)

Know what you want to do. Choose your hardware and software. THEN choose your operating system. Doing it the other way around causes you problems. If you need multiple operating systems to do your task, then you can use multiple computers, or virtual machines (if possible).

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-17-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #371
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
There are lots of reasons to NOT run Linux.
Linux has been brimming with potential since I was a young man. Still brimming with potential. During the time Linux has been brimming with potential, Microsoft has made billions SELLING Windows.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #372
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Linux has been brimming with potential since I was a young man. Still brimming with potential. During the time Linux has been brimming with potential, Microsoft has made billions SELLING Windows.
And Redhat has made billions SELLING Linux.

And embedded systems manufacturers have made billions and billions and billions and billions and billions selling systems running Linux.

There are almost certainly far more Linux systems in the world than Windows. Windows has only ever been a major player on the desktop, which is now a declining market.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #373
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

RedHat doesn't sell Linux. They sell support for their own distribution.

I think you must have missed the loads of Windows servers in many companies. Linux is primarily used in the very smallest computers (embedded systems) and in the very biggest (supercomputers), by reason of its adaptability and customization.

For everything in between except webservers, many companies choose Windows, for desktops and servers.

Linux is a prime choice for use in systems in which the user never or rarely uses the OS directly. The mentioned embedded systems and supercomputers mostly fall into this category, as do things such as phones (Android), and settop boxes and mediaplayers.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #374
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Know what you want to do. Choose your hardware and software. THEN choose your operating system. Doing it the other way around causes you problems. If you need multiple operating systems to do your task, then you can use multiple computers, or virtual machines (if possible).
I think that most Linux users are beyond the mantra that Linux is for everyone, but there are a lot of situations where Linux is just as good as Windows. In those cases, choosing the operating system first may be appropriate.

Let's face it: you can get good software in many categories for Linux. LibreOffice may not be Microsoft Office, but it certainly performs the task beyond many people's capabilities. The same can be said for graphics design. It may not be professional grade, but the tools still perform the task beyond the capabilities of most users. Of course, Linux is also on par with Windows for many software categories. That ranges from general use (e.g. web browsers) to specialized applications (e.g. software development).

Choosing the OS first in those cases may make sense for some users. If cost is a constraint, you don't have to worry about buying a license for Linux or most of the software that runs under Linux. Put another way, you don't feel compelled to buy Photoshop (or even Photoshop Elements) just because of its branding. You don't feel compelled to buy Microsoft Office just because of its branding. You don't feel compelled to buy Visual Studio just because of its branding. License restrictions are also another thing that you don't have to fret over. You can legally run Linux, LibreOffice, GIMP, Eclipse, etc. on every computer that you own. You can also do so without a second thought. You also don't have to be concerned with the restrictions placed on the use of cheaper home editions of software, such as Microsoft Office or Visual Studio Express.

Now I'm not saying that choosing the OS first is appropriate for all users. If you're doing something specialized, it's a bad way to go. If you're doing something that is well supported on all platforms though, it may be a better starting point. I'm also not suggesting that choosing Linux is the aforegone conclusion of choosing an OS first. You may choose Windows because it makes hardware selection easier, and supports popular FLOSS anyhow. You may choose OS X because it supports popular commercial software and provides a competent Unix environment.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #375
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
RedHat doesn't sell Linux. They sell support for their own distribution.
Actually, they kinda do both. If I recall correctly, the distribution of RHEL is restricted based upon proprietary components (mostly trademarked materials and such). So if you want to use RHEL, you have to pay up or wait for the release of something like Centos.