Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #16
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
It shouldn't be surprising the any reader forum will have a lot of troubleshooting questions. I wouldn't take that to mean the reader itself is defective. Just that the forum attracts a lot of troubleshooting posts.
That's a good point, but then again there is probably some truth to what JSWolf just posted. I've been tempted by the Kobo Glo, but firmware updates from Kobo seem to be a work in progress all the time.

Since you already have a Nook, unless you are looking to move away from that brand, the Nook ST would be the most obvious choice for you to consider. Personally I don't like how square it looks and feels compared to the other e-readers, but other people like it better because of that.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #17
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
That's a good point, but then again there is probably some truth to what JSWolf just posted. I've been tempted by the Kobo Glo, but firmware updates from Kobo seem to be a work in progress all the time.
I don't disagree with what you're saying. When I said troubleshooting, I meant having issues with the actual hardware. That's what I thought herekittykitty meant. Having a delay in the firmware from the company isn't really a troubleshooting issue. However, I would take that into consideration when looking at a reader. That's probably one of the reasons why I have stayed away from Kobo readers.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #18
herekittykitty
herekittykitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.herekittykitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.herekittykitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.herekittykitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.herekittykitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.herekittykitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.herekittykitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.herekittykitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.herekittykitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.herekittykitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.herekittykitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: original Nook
Update - I purchased a Nook STR today. Found it on clearance at Staples B&M for 49.99. Hope I like it.
herekittykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
Update - I purchased a Nook STR today. Found it on clearance at Staples B&M for 49.99. Hope I like it.
That is a good price.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #20
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
You can't beat that price! Enjoy your new Nook!
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #21
cmkread
cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook touch
I am anxiously awaiting my new Nook STR (no backlight as heard tooooo many bad things with pinholes). What is the challenge if I use the calibre. It seems to do everything with all formats.
Where do you get your content from. I like gutenberg project.. Have not purchased any ebooks. It doesn't appear you can resell the ebooks, right? What if you don't like it after you buy it?
cmkread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkread View Post
I am anxiously awaiting my new Nook STR (no backlight as heard tooooo many bad things with pinholes). What is the challenge if I use the calibre. It seems to do everything with all formats.
If you're going to side load a lot of non-B&N content (with Calibre or otherwise) you'll want to pickup a microSD card as 750MB of the 1GB for content that comes on-board is reserved for B&N content only.

Quote:
Where do you get your content from. I like gutenberg project.. Have not purchased any ebooks.
For Public Domain stuff (and a bit more) Gutenberg, Feedbooks, Manybooks and the library here at MobileRead. For other content BaenEbooks, and the "regular" stores like B&N, Sony, Kobo, Amazon (needs DRM removed if DRM'd & conversion) and Books on Board.

Quote:
It doesn't appear you can resell the ebooks, right? What if you don't like it after you buy it?
No, you can't resell ebooks. If this is important to you it's best to stick with paper for those titles.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote