Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #706
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
so what is the value held by 's' in:
KUAL_options="-s=ABC"

Ref: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...6&d=1365560515

Perhaps not that exact statement but look for something where the '-' option flag is being read as an arithmetic operator.

BIG HINT:
Always use single quotes rather than double quotes for strings that are supposed to be literals. That way there is a much better chance that they will be processed as literals.

small hint:
Watch out for assignments and argument passing, a level of quoting is dropped by each.
A single quoted literal, once assigned to a variable, will no longer be single quoted **AS THE CONTENTS** of that variable. I.E: If the contents of that variable are used to assign the contained value to another variable - the contents will be processed as if it had never been quoted.
using the output of printf %q can help keep you out of trouble in such cases.

Last edited by knc1; 04-10-2013 at 08:45 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #707
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
# Stop following links when looking for json files
KUAL_nofollow="true"
KUAL_nofollow="false"

^-- Wasn't 100% sure how to test this. I am assuming recursive folders could/not contain config files. Will revisit.
Superb testing and reporting job, very helpful, thank you!
The sort option button not working is exactly that; not working I had accidentally commented out its code. I put it back and improved it. Will be in my next commit.

The borky KUAL config hits a java exception handler (you can see it in the trail line pics 6/7/etc.) Hopefully I will be able to reproduce this exception with the file you attached.

KUAL_nofollow regards hard/soft link files. It has no effect on files in /mnt/us as that's a FAT partition. I use this setting just on my PC for testing purposes.

The four-line message area looks kind of ugly on the PW wrt the KT (pic 10, I think, where it reports that the Store button was restored). I might look into moving that message to the trail line instead (priority="nice to have").
stepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #708
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
so what is the value held by 's' in:
KUAL_options="-s=ABC"

Ref: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...6&d=1365560515

Perhaps not that exact statement but look for something where the '-' option flag is being read as an arithmetic operator.

BIG HINT:
Always use single quotes rather than double quotes for strings that are supposed to be literals. That way there is a much better chance that they will be processed as literals.

small hint:
Watch out for assignments and argument passing, a level of quoting is dropped by each.
A single quoted literal, once assigned to a variable, will no longer be single quoted **AS THE CONTENTS** of that variable. I.E: If the contents of that variable are used to assign the contained value to another variable - the contents will be processed as if it had never been quoted.
using the output of printf %q can help keep you out of trouble in such cases.
KUAL.cfg is parsed/edited in several places and with different tools; ash, sed, AWK and java. Twobob hit two issues:
- one issue occurred in ash where I had accidentally knocked off some code; now I reinstated the code and changed from sed to AWK
- the other issue occurs in java and raises an exception, which is shown in the picture. I need to find and fix it.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #709
stepk
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
KUAL_show_KUAL_buttons="1 2"
KUAL_show_KUAL_buttons="2 1"

^-- Working to hide kual buttons.
Nice. Order of incidence does not matter. Nor affects button order.
Hides Nicely (picture 1)

However, as shown in picture 1 any value whatsoever (other than commented out no-value default) causes the new logging button to not appear. Unsure if that is by design. "No value" shows all function options.
(picture 2)
I can't reproduce this issue. For me the new logging button appears when
1) KUAL_show_KUAL_buttons=""
2) #KUAL_show_KUAL_buttons="whatever"
note that 1 and 2 are equivalent - they both leave KUAL_show_KUAL_buttons unset, which looks up default value "1 2 3 99" (all currently defined buttons for the KUAL menu)
3) KUAL_show_KUAL_buttons="3" and no other KUAL button shows up

If I enter an invalid value, like KUAL_show_KUAL_buttons="-1" or " " the KUAL menu is not shown at all. You could qualify this as lack of defensive programming or a totally borky setting. I think it's the latter Besides, visibly reporting errors that involve KUAL.cfg is complicated, so I prefer to let some error manifest themselves in their obvious, non-destructive consequences - it's a kind of error reporting.

If I enter a mix of valid/invalid values, like "33 1 2" then the KUAL menu shows buttons 1 and 2. I think it works sensibly, don't you?

In summary: I can't reproduce this issue (with my current dev build).

Last edited by stepk; 04-10-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #710
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Ok.

I will backtrace my steps that I performed to make it happen.

Will go grab the latest commit before I do.

The midori people mentioned that it might be a good idea to patch gtk+ while I was at it... Which made me wonder if I would be better spending my time and efforts on giving the -title support, unsure exactly what that may entail so I have grabbed down their source for a hackathon at some point soon.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #711
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepk View Post
I can't reproduce this issue. For me the new logging button appears when
1) KUAL_show_KUAL_buttons=""
2) #KUAL_show_KUAL_buttons="whatever"
note that 1 and 2 are equivalent - they both leave KUAL_show_KUAL_buttons unset, which looks up default value "1 2 3 99" (all currently defined buttons for the KUAL menu)
3) KUAL_show_KUAL_buttons="3" and no other KUAL button shows up

If I enter an invalid value, like KUAL_show_KUAL_buttons="-1" or " " the KUAL menu is not shown at all. You could qualify this as lack of defensive programming or a totally borky setting. I think it's the latter Besides, visibly reporting errors that involve KUAL.cfg is complicated, so I prefer to let some error manifest themselves in their obvious, non-destructive consequences - it's a kind of error reporting.

If I enter a mix of valid/invalid values, like "33 1 2" then the KUAL menu shows buttons 1 and 2. I think it works sensibly, don't you?

In summary: I can't reproduce this issue (with my current dev build).
Nah it was nothing like that. I posted the exact values of everything I tried.

1 2

and

2 1 in that case.

Will dig further again today.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #712
briefer666
briefer666 began at the beginning.

Device: KT
Hi,

when I copy the file update_k4_ALL_devcerts_install.bin to the root of my kindle, and unplug it from the USB, the file is automatically erased from the memory, and the "Update my kindle" option is greyed out.

Any ideas?
briefer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #713
twobob

You have a kt.

use the right files.

K4 is a KINDLE 4

KT is a KINDLE 5
Old 04-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #714
briefer666
briefer666 began at the beginning.

Device: KT
That was it!

thank you!
briefer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #715
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefer666 View Post
That was it!

thank you!
welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_448.png
Views:	251
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	104264  
Old 04-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #716
stepk
Groupie

changed sorting default

Kual 0.5 update. I have reworked the sorting options a bit. So now ABC sorting affects just the top-level menu and leaves the order inside each sub-menu intact as originally set by the menu author. So authors can add some visual impact to their menus
Spoiler:

ASCII art by Elissa Potier on www.chris.com, trivially converted to a JSON menu by me
Code:
{
	"items" : [
		{
		"name" :"Cheers!",
			{"name" :"   *      *    .   *    .","action":":"},
			{"name" :"        ..  *    o","action":":"},
			{"name" :"      o   *  .    *","action":":"},
			{"name" :"        ________","action":":"},
			{"name" :"       (________)","action":":"},
			{"name" :"       |    o   |","action":":"},
			{"name" :"       | o    o |","action":":"},
			{"name" :"       |   o    |","action":":"},
			{"name" :"       | o  o   |","action":":"},
			{"name" :"       |      o |","action":":"},
			{"name" :"       ( o      )","action":":"},
			{"name" :"        \\   o  /","action":":"},
			{"name" :"         \\    /","action":":"},
			{"name" :"          \\  /","action":":"},
			{"name" :"           ||","action":":"},
			{"name" :"        ___||___","action":":"},
			{"name" :"       /   ||   \\","action":":"},
			{"name" :"       \\________/","action":":"}
			]
		}
	]
}

Multi-level alpha sorting is still possible by enabling its option in KUAL.cfg.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3.png
Views:	326
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	104279  

Last edited by stepk; 04-12-2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: cheers for my 100th post!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #717
twobob

And Cheers to you

I shall resume the testing tomorrow.

See I can break it some more :P

So happy with the new tranche though. next-gen KUAL is on the horizon at last.

One small step for us, One giant Leap for kindle kind.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #718
twobob

I would like to thank the kind user who donated a Kindle DX to our developer KNC1.
It has arrived and is being treated with love.

Also the k3 was finally fixed up, packaged and shipped to stepk air mail today.

Our dream of having all the devices we needed and the cables is very close.
Thanks to all of you who support the project through donation.

Just so you know, (you can ask any of the other devs), We squeeze every penny we can out of that which you contribute, No caviar lunches here just cold hard value negotiation to do the very best with the money.

I have also contributed so far a pound into the project devices fund for every pound received.
(more actually)

So many thanks to you all. We are working very hard to give you kual loaders (and more)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_454.png
Views:	239
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	104280  

Last edited by twobob; 04-14-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #719
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepk View Post
Kual 0.5 update. I have reworked the sorting options a bit. So now ABC sorting affects just the top-level menu and leaves the order inside each sub-menu intact as originally set by the menu author. So authors can add some visual impact to their menus
spoiler removed
ASCII art by Elissa Potier on www.chris.com, trivially converted to a JSON menu by me
Code:
{
		{
		"name" :"Cheers!",
			{"name" :"   *      *    .   *    .","action":":"},
			{"name" :"        ..  *    o","action":":"},
			{"name" :"      o   *  .    *","action":":"},
			{"name" :"        ________","action":":"},
			{"name" :"       (________)","action":":"},
			{"name" :"       |    o   |","action":":"},
			{"name" :"       |   o    |","action":":"},
			{"name" :"       | o  o   |","action":":"},
			{"name" :"       |      o |","action":":"},
			{"name" :"       ( o      )","action":":"},
			{"name" :"        \\   o  /","action":":"},
			{"name" :"         \\    /","action":":"},
			{"name" :"          \\  /","action":":"},
			{"name" :"        ___||___","action":":"},
			{"name" :"       /   ||   \\","action":":"},
			{"name" :"       \\________/","action":":"}
			]
		}
	]
}
removed spoiler ends
Multi-level alpha sorting is still possible by enabling its option in KUAL.cfg.
Great bubble un-sort : Ŕ votre santée!
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #720
stepk
Groupie

menu collation

I have added automatic collation of same-name menus, see the attached pictures. it can be disabled in KUAL.cfg. I'm undecided whether to keep it as a stable feature or let it go. It works OK, but perhaps it will be too slow on lower devices. Well I don't know now, I will be able to test it when the K3 arrives Enjoy the screenies: pics 1-4 without collation (Helper menus); pics 5-6 with collation enabled.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2.png
Views:	243
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	104318   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4.png
Views:	222
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	104319   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-5.png
Views:	221
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	104320   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-6.png
Views:	219
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	104321   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-7.png
Views:	240
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	104322   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-8.png
Views:	239
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	104323  

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified