Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-12-2004, 11:09 PM   #1
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Wired News links to great extensions for Mozilla/Firefox

Wired News has recently published two great articles on Mozilla/Firefox and the extensions that make these browsers so great. Both are recommended reading if you use either one. I'm a dedicated Firefox user and I hadn't heard of some of these!

Building a Better Mozilla and More Extensions for Mozilla
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 06:16 AM   #2
Colebuddy
Splash Mobile Addict
Colebuddy began at the beginning.

Device: Zire 72
Mozilla Bulked Up!

Thanks for the helpful links. I had a chance to look at all of them and more and beefed up my web surfing experience. Thanks to MobileRead.com for pointing me to Mozilla/Firefox as well as much-needed the extensions.
Colebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2004, 04:40 PM   #3
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
Same here. Been using Mozilla/Firebird/Firefox for awhile but until I read about extensions through Wired News' first article around a week or two back, I don't know they existed. Now I had quite a few of them. AdBlock is really a bandwidth saver!!!

Extensions works like Bookmarklets. I loved those bookmarklets then but they fell out of favor and most were not updated for newer browsers.
gadgetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:34 PM   #4
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I must say, I've been using Firefox or a week or so now, and I won't be going back to IE any time soon. Even straight "out of the box", it's a fine browser. Add in the extensions available, and you can't lose!

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 06:19 AM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett
I must say, I've been using Firefox or a week or so now, and I won't be going back to IE any time soon. Even straight "out of the box", it's a fine browser. Add in the extensions available, and you can't lose!

Craig.
I agree! I'm amazed at how easy the switch was and how enjoyable it is to use. There are a couple of things that I miss, though:
1) It's harder to keep bookmarks in synch between IE at work and Foxfire at home
2) I miss my iSiloX toolbar button add-in.

So unfortunately I still have to go to IE when those situations come up to add a bookmark or clip with iSiloX.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2004, 07:56 AM   #6
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
So unfortunately I still have to go to IE when those situations come up to add a bookmark or clip with iSiloX.
I recommend the "IE View" extension for this. When I was using iSilo regularly, this did the trick for me. Within Firefox/Mozilla you just right click on an open area of the page or on a link and select "Open in IE". Sure it's one more step, but it's pretty easy.

Being a recent convert to Plucker, I'm enjoying the "Pluck This" extension that runs in Moz/Firefox. I always wondered why iSilo didn't make a plug for this line of browsers. Perhaps as people move away from IE they'll put one together.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 07:12 PM   #7
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
It might be worth a post on the isilo forums asking when something like this might be available as an extension for Firefox....

Hmmm.....
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:46 PM   #8
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Another great Firefox 0.9x extension is GooglePreview: it inserts thumbnails of web sites, Amazon products, and stock charts into the Google search result page.

http://ackroyd.de/googlepreview/
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote