Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
lightskin10
lightskin10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Double Metadata - Help Please!

First, I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, I searched and couldn't find anything.

Calibre 0.9.11

I'm relatively new to Calibre and haven't been doing things "correctly". I used it to convert a lot of Epubs to Mobi for my 4th Gen Kindle and included a lot of info in the Metadata (rating, tags, etc.) that I didn't really care to have.

Stupidly, I did not keep these converted files in Calibre. Once they were converted I moved them to another file on my computer thinking that I didn't want to use Calibre to manage my library. I also deleted the original Epub files.

Fast forward to today. I have a new Kindle Paperwhite and want to convert all my files to AZW3 and clean up the metadata. I have also come to see the wisdom of using Calibre to manage my library.

My problem is that I no longer have the original Epub files (without Metadata). All I have is the converted Mobi file (with Metadata). I add the Mobi file to Calibre, clean up the Metadata and covers, and convert to AZW3. I end up with an AZW3 file that reads both sets of Metadata, so when I read it (or view the book in the Calibre viewer) there is one page with the new, clean Metadata and one page with the old, messy Metadata.

Can someone please help me get rid of the old Metadata (if it's possible)? Or can you direct me to where I can read about a fix for this specific problem?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

lightskin10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightskin10 View Post
My problem is that I no longer have the original Epub files (without Metadata). All I have is the converted Mobi file (with Metadata). I add the Mobi file to Calibre, clean up the Metadata and covers, and convert to AZW3. I end up with an AZW3 file that reads both sets of Metadata, so when I read it (or view the book in the Calibre viewer) there is one page with the new, clean Metadata and one page with the old, messy Metadata.
What I think you are seeing is the Book Jacket. Under Preferences - Common options - Structure detection there is an option to Insert metadata as page at start of book. It would seem that you have this option checked.

When you converted to mobi the first time the metadata was inserted into the book. Then when you converted to AZW3 it was added as a page in the book a second time. By default this option is not checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightskin10 View Post
Can someone please help me get rid of the old Metadata (if it's possible)? Or can you direct me to where I can read about a fix for this specific problem?
I do not use mobi or azw3 files. You may be able to use the tweak book function of calibre to expand the (azw3) book then use any editor (like notepad++) to remove the offending page. Then have it rebuild the book. There might be easier methods, hopefully someone versed in Kindles will chime in with a more direct method of removing the info from your books.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-22-2012 at 01:57 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2012, 02:27 AM   #3
lightskin10
lightskin10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thank you for your reply! And you're right, that's exactly what I did (inserted metadata at the beginning of the book). I add so many books that I forget what some of them are about so I wanted a synopsis at the beginning to remind me.

I may be out of luck since I deleted the original files (without metadata inserted), but I hope some Kindle/Calibre gurus have some ideas for me.

Thanks again!
lightskin10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw3, calibre, kindle paperwhite, metadata