Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
empty collections

I use Calibre to manage the books on my T1. I got a microSD card today, so I removed all the books I had originally loaded into internal memory because I wanted to have all my stuff on the card instead.

The Collections menu on my T1 still lists all the collections that were created for the books that used to be stored in internal memory. I know these empty collections are obsolete because they lack the memory card icon displayed by their parallel collections that actually have books in them.

Does anyone happen to know how to get rid of empty collections?
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
Easy Peasy.

Call up the collection list.
Press and hold the collection to be deleted.
A delete/rename menu will pop up .
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I had nine pages of empty collections after trying to set up my new T1 using the Sony software (couldn't understand why, seeing I only have ten collection in total to sync across) and tried the above mentioned technique.

This unfortunately did not work as no options popped up. I also tried the delete collections button and all the collection were greyed out (I should say greyer than normal). The only collections the T1 would allow me to delete were the collections I manually created on the device itself, not any of the ones created using the Sony software.

The only way I could remove the collections was to format the internal memory. I now copy the books over to the reader with it set for file transfer using Windows Explorer and then manually create collections on the device itself.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If you're a Calibre user and set it to automatically manage your Collections then empty Collections will automatically be deleted the next time you connect.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
I had nine pages of empty collections after trying to set up my new T1 using the Sony software (couldn't understand why, seeing I only have ten collection in total to sync across) and tried the above mentioned technique.

This unfortunately did not work as no options popped up. I also tried the delete collections button and all the collection were greyed out (I should say greyer than normal). The only collections the T1 would allow me to delete were the collections I manually created on the device itself, not any of the ones created using the Sony software.

The only way I could remove the collections was to format the internal memory. I now copy the books over to the reader with it set for file transfer using Windows Explorer and then manually create collections on the device itself.

Yep! That was my experience! How you delete collections depends entirely on how you got them on your reader. If you synced with the Sony software on your computer, you can't delete them on the reader. If you made them manually, you can.

After I ended up formatting my device, I found by playing that you can sync the collection using the software by checking which one you wanted. Let it sync and then when it was finished syncing uncheck it and it'll remove the collection. I found it to be a major PITA. Unless you want every single book inside that specific collection on your reader - syncing is NOT the way to go.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Using Calibre is so much simplier for syncing and creating and deleting Collections. Jackie gave me instructions on how to do it and it's been working like a charm. Make it easy on yourselves and get Calibre, if you do not already use it. If I can learn how to use it, anyone can.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Easy Peasy.

Call up the collection list.
Press and hold the collection to be deleted.
A delete/rename menu will pop up .
That was all I needed to do. I can't believe I didn't think of trying that

Thanks

Anyway, I already had Calibre managing Collections on my T1, but there appears to be a limit to how many Collections you can have and when I exceeded that limit, whatever it is, my device became a little confused.

Everything seems fine now. I just need to figure out a good way to organize my library, which contains an awful lot of series, in a way that's useful and doesn't use a bazillion Collections.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:00 AM   #8
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I like Calibre but tend only to use it for file conversion and updating the metadata, I find the file management a bit clunky for my needs. Looks like I might need to invest a bit of time figuring it out.

I never have a problem with my old PRS-600 and the old Sony software, yes it was a bit sluggish to run on a lower spec'ed PC like the net-top I use for my media library but it was simple and straight-forward. You also did not need to use the sync option to transfer books and collections, you could just drag-and-dropped them onto it and they transfered across.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
That was all I needed to do. I can't believe I didn't think of trying that

Thanks

Anyway, I already had Calibre managing Collections on my T1, but there appears to be a limit to how many Collections you can have and when I exceeded that limit, whatever it is, my device became a little confused.

Everything seems fine now. I just need to figure out a good way to organize my library, which contains an awful lot of series, in a way that's useful and doesn't use a bazillion Collections.
You can also delete multiple collections at a time. From the home screen select Collections, then press the menu button and select Delete Collections. Check all the collections you want and press Done.
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
Ozric
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert22 View Post
You can also delete multiple collections at a time. From the home screen select Collections, then press the menu button and select Delete Collections. Check all the collections you want and press Done.
I'll have to remember that for next time. Deleting them one at a time was a little tedious
Old 12-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
BarryGE
BarryGE began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Can't Delete Collection--Collections are Greyed out

I tried to delete but all the collections are greyed out. I tried to press and hold an nothing happens?
BarryGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryGE View Post
I tried to delete but all the collections are greyed out. I tried to press and hold an nothing happens?
And as long as you sync it with the Reader for PC you won't be able to delete the collections or individual books. That's one of the issues people have with the program, when you Sync it with the device you can't make any changes on the device.

The solution is to not sync it but manually drag & drop your books onto the device and make collections manually on it. Or use Calibre.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote