Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
Pendragon
Pendragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Powering the Kindle DX by Solar

Hi Everyone, has anyone come up with a way to charge the Kindles by solar? I would think that with the minimal power usage of the Kindles that it should be possible to integrate a panel into a Kindle cover to trickle charge the batteries so that they never run down
Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hmmm....I'm pretty sure it's drawing more power than a calculator, but there is some potential space on the front.

The bigger issue is I prefer reading in the shade. Although I can draw some power in the shade, it might not be enough to charge.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
mohamedselim
Technophile
mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Xiaomi redmi 5+ ,kindle Voyage etc
so good idea even if it did not replace charging completely it could delay charging for example from 1 month to may be two or so or make the e reader more charger independent not necessarily completely charger independent
mohamedselim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There are solar chargers sold for backpackers and the like that I am sure would work fine.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
Pendragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Hmmm....I'm pretty sure it's drawing more power than a calculator, but there is some potential space on the front.

The bigger issue is I prefer reading in the shade. Although I can draw some power in the shade, it might not be enough to charge.
I figure that if the solar cells were on the surface then they would continue to trickle charge the Kindle even when not in use, I doubt thatthe kindle uses more power than would be generated during the "off hours" but the problem is finding cells small enough
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 03:14 AM   #6
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
I bought one of these solar chargers recently (there are about three American sellers that sell the product via eBay), and it works pretty well.

The build quality isn't spectacular, but it works. But I have actually wanted a more elegant, built-in solution like the one you proposed, and posted a thread on Reddit some time ago about it. The trick is that any solution (including one where the solar panel is integrated into the cover) is going to require a wire running from the solar array to the USB port.
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
Pendragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesler View Post
I bought one of these solar chargers recently (there are about three American sellers that sell the product via eBay), and it works pretty well.

The build quality isn't spectacular, but it works. But I have actually wanted a more elegant, built-in solution like the one you proposed, and posted a thread on Reddit some time ago about it. The trick is that any solution (including one where the solar panel is integrated into the cover) is going to require a wire running from the solar array to the USB port.
That would be true for my Kindle DX, but I was thinking that with my wife's 3G it might be possible to charge through the clips that are used to power the light in her kindle cover, I dont think the same port is available on the DX
Old 07-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
As someone who actually has to live by solar power alone (in the African bush) and has a Kindle, I can offer you a 'quick and dirty' method though it won't be pretty.

Buy or salvage an old car battery. Hook up a cheap solar panel to it. Get yourself a 12v car USB-charger, connect it to the battery, charge the Kindle.

In essence this is what I do all the time (with all my equipment in fact) though of course with a somewhat more sophisticated set-up!
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
mtsp
Enthusiast
mtsp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencek View Post
As someone who actually has to live by solar power alone (in the African bush) and has a Kindle, I can offer you a 'quick and dirty' method though it won't be pretty.

Buy or salvage an old car battery. Hook up a cheap solar panel to it. Get yourself a 12v car USB-charger, connect it to the battery, charge the Kindle.

In essence this is what I do all the time (with all my equipment in fact) though of course with a somewhat more sophisticated set-up!
Do you have pictures of this set-up?
I'd like to see that.
mtsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencek View Post

Yes. That is simple to do. I charge my iphone that way. But that's not what the OP asked for. He want's a portable solution.

That's not particular hard either. Get a "hard" Kindle case like a dustjacket. Cover the case with solar cells. Attach it to a voltage regulator and plug it into the Kindle.
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
I figure that if the solar cells were on the surface then they would continue to trickle charge the Kindle even when not in use, I doubt thatthe kindle uses more power than would be generated during the "off hours" but the problem is finding cells small enough
That's easy. Solar cells come in all sizes. Even if they didn't, you can break a solar cell and it would still work. A cheap way would be to get "broken" solar cells on ebay. They are cheap. People use these to build cheap solar panels.

If this was a professional product. I would build a thin film solar panel case. Thus it would even be flexible. Considering you can buy 6 watt thin film panels for about $50, it shouldn't even be too expensive.
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:13 AM   #12
Pendragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by travfar View Post
Yes. That is simple to do. I charge my iphone that way. But that's not what the OP asked for. He want's a portable solution.

That's not particular hard either. Get a "hard" Kindle case like a dustjacket. Cover the case with solar cells. Attach it to a voltage regulator and plug it into the Kindle.
OK the question is which connector on the micro USB cable would need to be attached to the solar cell (complete with voltage regulator) to charge the Kindle, I understand that the kindle battery is less than 4 volts so a 4 volt charging circuit might work
Old 07-28-2011, 03:32 AM   #13
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
Quote:
OK the question is which connector on the micro USB cable would need to be attached to the solar cell (complete with voltage regulator) to charge the Kindle, I understand that the kindle battery is less than 4 volts so a 4 volt charging circuit might work
5 volts. Anything that charges off of a USB connection is 5 volts (+/- 0.25 volts).

And here's an image showing what the different pins are.

nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #14
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The solar cells on calculators are plenty small enough. I think the issue would be if they can push the 5 volts to actually charge.

5-volt solar panel. Size means it could be the back cover on most e-readers. Which isn't that useful. Okay for laying down to charge, but not so good for reading. Maybe a combination of a slim small one on the top for in-use and the back one for charging while resting.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
If you can make it work perhaps you can sell the designs to Amazon for inclusion in their next generation mobile reader. Although I would consult a patent attorney before I approached them.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote