Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
totanus
totanus began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
ADE Font Rendering Engine?

Hi,
I'm wondering if someone knows which font rendering engine is implemented in the Adobe Digital Editions software, under e-ink readers (bookeen gen 3, opus, and others) or ipad based (bluefire).
I guess that under ipad ADE uses the quartz engine via coretext or similar.
But what about e-ink displays? Is it CoolType or does it use FreeType?
Thank you in advance
totanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I'd say the font rendering is device-dependent, it's not tied to the ePUB reader (does the iPad use ADE, anyway?)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I'd say the font rendering is device-dependent, it's not tied to the ePUB reader (does the iPad use ADE, anyway?)
iBooks doesn't. txtr and Bluefire do.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I think there may be a confusion between the use and function of Adobe Reader vs. ADE.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
To the best of my knowledge, the font system is part of ADE in embedded devices. I remember some discussion being done about this on the sony boards a while back, because LRX/LRF books would look different than ePub. Reason for this, is that ADE supplied the kit and kaboodle to show ebooks in the ePub format, and the sony ebooks had to use a completely different renderer.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm... Does your PRS-505, which has the Adobe Reader installed, include an "About"
option in its settings when in epub or PDF? Does it list the version of Adobe Reader that
is embedded in your reader?

For instance my Ectaco jetBook Lite shows "Reader Mobile technology by Adobe Systems
Incorporated Version: 9.1.1"

Luck;
Ken
Old 02-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
totanus
totanus began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Well, maybe I explained myself in a poor way.
What I'm trying to understand is how Adobe Mobile Reader based e-ink reader are rendering fonts.
As far as I understand quartz based software just try to render the fonts - even modifying the original shape - to achieve the best reading performance on screen. Cooltype, on the opposite, tries to render the font to match the final printing result (please correct me if I'm wrong). What about e-ink screens (low res and grayscale)?
How fonts are treated in Adobe RMSDK?
Tnx
totanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by totanus View Post
Well, maybe I explained myself in a poor way.
What I'm trying to understand is how Adobe Mobile Reader based e-ink reader are rendering fonts.
As far as I understand quartz based software just try to render the fonts - even modifying the original shape - to achieve the best reading performance on screen. Cooltype, on the opposite, tries to render the font to match the final printing result (please correct me if I'm wrong). What about e-ink screens (low res and grayscale)?
How fonts are treated in Adobe RMSDK?
Tnx
There you go. For that I would look to Adobe for the answer, and you are
right the Software Sevelopment Kit (SDK) documentation is a good place to
find the answer to your question. The Google results for "adobe reader
moble 9 sdk" includes links to PDFs and other resources like FAQ and forums.

Luck;
Ken

Tags
ade, font, font epub, rendering engine