Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #91
murali
murali began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Oh...Can someone who had already downloaded share it with us if possible?

thanks in advance..
murali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #92
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by murali View Post
Oh...Can someone who had already downloaded share it with us if possible?
try this link. I'll edit the post above accordingly.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #93
murali
murali began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks! That worked! Now I have epub capability in Kindle..
murali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #94
jozicka
Connoisseur
jozicka doesn't litterjozicka doesn't litter

Device: notebook
Hi, I have small question regarding default Language, I have books in mobi format, and after loading books to library I have to change language in common from other to Czech to have proper hyphenation.

I have setup up in “Preferences” “Language” tab Czech and unmarked “Automatically Detect Language and Encoding”. (and restarted fbreader) but it does not accept Czech as default.

Do I have any other possibility to setup default Czech language? Somewhere in xml?

(well it is not actually as big issue, it is done just once per book, but it would be nice to have)

And other question is regarding page number - I can see some "may be real" page number, but they are not reflecting the current visible page - it looks like it is 3 times less, so instead of 300 pages per books I have only 100 pages per book and I have to press 3x next page to go one page forward.

How do I change it to see only current pages per screen (variable as based on my chosen font)?

Thank you all in advance for any TIP.
jozicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #95
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jozicka View Post
And other question is regarding page number - I can see some "may be real" page number, but they are not reflecting the current visible page - it looks like it is 3 times less, so instead of 300 pages per books I have only 100 pages per book and I have to press 3x next page to go one page forward.
FBReader uses 2048 bytes as a "page", and this is approximately the number of characters on a physical book page. The Kindle's locations are similar in principle to this, except they use 128 byte chunks which are not very page like. Note that Adobe Digital Editions (on most other E Ink readers) also uses a byte-count definition of pages.

So no current popular device uses the screen contents as a page. Sony's LRF format does this, but has been replaced by ePub (which does not).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #96
jozicka
Connoisseur
jozicka doesn't litterjozicka doesn't litter

Device: notebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
FBReader uses 2048 bytes as a "page", and this is approximately the number of characters on a physical book page. The Kindle's locations are similar in principle to this, except they use 128 byte chunks which are not very page like. Note that Adobe Digital Editions (on most other E Ink readers) also uses a byte-count definition of pages.

So no current popular device uses the screen contents as a page. Sony's LRF format does this, but has been replaced by ePub (which does not).

Ahh oops, sorry about that, my fault, I was used to read on notebook before, and it got me wrong, because my actual screen contents had almost the same size as the "real" page.
jozicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #97
shupiuiuma
shupiuiuma began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I also wonder why they do not make it to show 1 page per screen. I myself have modified FBReader for Android to do that and this is extremely easy. Someone should tell these guys we need page per screen and not some 2048 bytes which means simply nothing. Useless as "Locations" ...
shupiuiuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #98
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shupiuiuma View Post
I also wonder why they do not make it to show 1 page per screen. I myself have modified FBReader for Android to do that and this is extremely easy. Someone should tell these guys we need page per screen and not some 2048 bytes which means simply nothing. Useless as "Locations" ...
please, be the someone and tell "these guys" what you need. Exactly.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:34 AM   #99
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
After several bouts of swearing, throwing tantrums and almost pulling my hair out I got this working - many thanks
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #100
troyme
Enthusiast
troyme began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx US
can some one got the fbkindle's libQKindleFb.so 's source code ??? the driver source code I got from http://www.griffin.net/2010/01/hacki...nd-sudoku.html seemed buggy when flash the screen.
troyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #101
h1uke
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyme View Post
can some one got the fbkindle's libQKindleFb.so 's source code ???
public link to the source tarball will be restored in a week or two.
LMK if you need the source sooner.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #102
troyme
Enthusiast
troyme began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx US
I crosscompiled kchmviewer ,qcomicbook,arora,juffed,fbreader based on qt-4.7.1, and use griffin's plugin soruce code, but sometime, the sreen reflash in an odd way, only reflash half or major,not full.
Because I am not a programmer, so I just want to see whether the other's screen plugin works OK.
I will wait for the public link, the next 2 week is the chinese spring festival :-)

btw:can you also get the FBreader on kindle's screen plugin source code,if I have both,I will try both.

Last edited by troyme; 01-26-2011 at 09:39 PM.
troyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #103
RobDickinson
RobDickinson began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quick question.

Is this just for open ePub books or does it(fbkindle) work with DRM'd content?

If its non DRM only why not convert to mobi?

But anyhow my issue is with being able to purchase DRM'd ePub and read on my kindle.
RobDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #104
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDickinson View Post
Is this just for open ePub books or does it(fbkindle) work with DRM'd content?

If its non DRM only why not convert to mobi?

But anyhow my issue is with being able to purchase DRM'd ePub and read on my kindle.
It is only for DRM-free ebooks.

As you say Calibre's conversion to MOBI is a viable alternative. Even if you want to stay with ePub, some conversion may be desirable because fbkindle does not support all ePub features (does not display SVG for example).

See Apprentice Alf's Blog for everything DRM related. The good news is that both Adobe and B&N ePub DRM is now very easy to strip.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #105
RobDickinson
RobDickinson began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
AH , thanks.
RobDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote