Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Lost My Nook

I don't know that I need any help with this thread but I just want to blow off some steam.

On a flight back home from a business trip last night, some guy grabs my briefcase thinking it's his and leaves the plane with it. Luckily, I had been reading my Nook on the flight so I had it with me.

After running around with airline employees trying to identify the guy for a couple of hours, I finally filed a claim and resigned myself to piecing my life back together. Everything is on my laptop though I keep a backup on my server at home.

Anyway, in the cab home, I get a call from the airline informing me that the guy had returned my briefcase. Cool.

I turn the cab around, go back to the airport and go get my briefcase, leaving my suitcase in the cab but carrying my Nook. When I run back out to get the cab, they made him move so I had to wait for him to drive around the airport again. So, I check my e-mail and fool around on my smartphone.

When he comes around again, I leave the Nook on the bench, grab my briefcase and hop in the cab.

I notice something missing about halfway home and again make him turn around. When we get there, the Nook is gone.

There. So, I spent enough to get another device on the cab fare alone.

I called B&N to deactivate the product and asked if they would replace it for free. The rep said they would not but to look out for a new Nook device in time for Christmas.

OK, so maybe I do need help.

My birthday is in mid November and my wife has hinted she will get me a replacement Nook. However, this B&N tech says a new one is coming out "in time for the holidays".

Should I hold out for the new one? I am reluctant to do that because I need to get my read on.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Wow, it looks like one of those days.

I guess the wait depends on what the improvements of the new nook will be.

Another idea is to get a nook now, and if in Xmas the new nook is much better, give (or sell) the old one to somebody.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
sweevo
Groupie
sweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
I don't know that I need any help with this thread but I just want to blow off some steam.

On a flight back home from a business trip last night, some guy grabs my briefcase thinking it's his and leaves the plane with it. Luckily, I had been reading my Nook on the flight so I had it with me.

After running around with airline employees trying to identify the guy for a couple of hours, I finally filed a claim and resigned myself to piecing my life back together. Everything is on my laptop though I keep a backup on my server at home.

Anyway, in the cab home, I get a call from the airline informing me that the guy had returned my briefcase. Cool.

I turn the cab around, go back to the airport and go get my briefcase, leaving my suitcase in the cab but carrying my Nook. When I run back out to get the cab, they made him move so I had to wait for him to drive around the airport again. So, I check my e-mail and fool around on my smartphone.

When he comes around again, I leave the Nook on the bench, grab my briefcase and hop in the cab.

I notice something missing about halfway home and again make him turn around. When we get there, the Nook is gone.

I called B&N to deactivate the product and asked if they would replace it for free. The rep said they would not but to look out for a new Nook device in time for Christmas.

My birthday is in mid November and my wife has hinted she will get me a replacement Nook. However, this B&N tech says a new one is coming out "in time for the holidays".

Should I hold out for the new one? I am reluctant to do that because I need to get my read on.
I feel for you. I really do.

reminds me of the time I managed to get my phone smashed after a long flight, through completely different but similarly unlikely circumstances.

You can wait a few weeks for the new device. In the meantime... well, you could buy a new Nook and return it in 14 days, by which the new model should almost be available. Or perhaps do your reading on your phone with the nook app?
sweevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post

(wipes tears from eyes) Oh my goodness......thanks for the laugh. Replace it for free? You have a wonderful sense of humor!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
What a day! That was pretty gutsy to ask for a replacement, but what did you have to lose?

If B&N is really going to have a new Nook by the holidays, it either doesn't include wireless, it is the same except for the screen (Pearl or SiPix), or they don't plan to have it in store by the holidays. It's October, and they don't have a new model at the FCC.

Used Nooks are selling on eBay for as high as new ones, so you might as well buy a new one and get a new warranty.

You also might want to watch eBay or Craigslist for your Nook - it's rather distinctive with the skin/case combo.

ETA: Have you checked with the airport lost & found?
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 11:31 PM   #6
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
(wipes tears from eyes) Oh my goodness......thanks for the laugh. Replace it for free? You have a wonderful sense of humor!
Never hurts to ask, and now we have confirmation that a new nook model is on its way. THAT was worth asking the question.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
You gotta hold out. I have high hopes for Nook2.

Buckle down and you can make it through on paperbacks and library books!

and it is great news that it's coming. I've been disappointed in the latest iterations lately. Sony decided to not come in affordable. Kobo wants to be a off brand Kindle. And the jetBook mini only reads Sanskrit.

Looking for Nook2 or a great tablet to hit the scene before tax rebate time.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
Lynk
Lynk began at the beginning.

Device: sony 650
Bummer, hope you find a suitable replacement soon.

This has just reminded me, was thinking earlier in the week I need to upgrade my house insurance to cover, loss of items outside the house, I have total baby brain now, it is pure fluke I have not had any expensive experiences lately.
Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
So if a new Nook is anticipated by the Christmas season, do you think that means they have no plans for giving us original Nook owners any software upgrades? I sure wish they would give us a method of organization for our books.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
TotallyEpic
Enthusiast
TotallyEpic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + Wifi
Man, that sucks, but look on the bright side, I'd be a lot more peeved if I had lost a more expensive laptop and briefcase.

I say wait for the new Nook and works backwards to DTBs until then
TotallyEpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #11
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
So if a new Nook is anticipated by the Christmas season, do you think that means they have no plans for giving us original Nook owners any software upgrades? I sure wish they would give us a method of organization for our books.
I also asked about a firmware upgrade for the existing Nooks. He said there was one coming probably at the end of this month or beginning of next month.

I've been so bummed I have been laying off the boards. Been getting my reading fix off the Nook app on my iPhone but it's sadly lacking.

I have been watching television more...though mostly documentaries.

If there is no Nook2 by Thanksgiving, I'm getting the current version.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #12
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I am sorry for your loss. I think that is probably more frustrating than when you accidentally break the screen on your ebook device like I did to my Sony PRS-505.

On the upside, you did find out about the Nook2 release and the firmware upgrade.

I really hope they get some organization added. I have been using my son's Sony PRS-300 and leaving my Nook on my desk as I am so frustrated at the lack of organization. If the firmware upgrade doesn't fix this, I may end up selling my Nook and going back to Sony.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #13
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Sorry about the loss of your nook. If you plan to wait to buy nook 2, maybe in the meantime look at target for the sony's that are on clearance. Other people have posted about buying a prs-300 for 30 dollars on clearance there. That could tide you over til the nook 2 comes out!
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #14
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalynn View Post
Sorry about the loss of your nook. If you plan to wait to buy nook 2, maybe in the meantime look at target for the sony's that are on clearance. Other people have posted about buying a prs-300 for 30 dollars on clearance there. That could tide you over til the nook 2 comes out!
I couldn't find a PRS-300 for $30. At least, not through the Target web site. I might take a drive to one near me since I would be willing to spend that on one to tide me over.

On the other hand, I'm beginning to think that if they are going to upgrade the firmware anyway, I might as well just get a Nook now. I mean, hardware-wise, what could be so different? Pearl screen, maybe. But I'm happy with the current screen. We'll see.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #15
TrvlrsChick
Enthusiast
TrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
This is probably a long shot, but did you ever consider calling the lost and found at the airport, or perhaps the local police station? Probably someone stole it and is pawning it off, but there may have been an honest person there that day that turned it in.
TrvlrsChick is offline   Reply With Quote