Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-14-2007, 05:44 AM   #31
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey
What can RTF offer for such files which the plain text files can't offer?
RTF keeps the same format as a real book. For example if a writer wants to emphasize someone's thoughts by putting them in Italic fonts like
Argh... He thinks he can outsmart me, There are many fiction books that use this style and it preserves the mood of the book. TXT files makes everything look the same. Sort of - no emotions style
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:48 AM   #32
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I'm getting the reader today so I will be able to check how all the books I made will look. I decided to go with the pdf format even though it sounds like the reader handles rtf better, because I'm very particular about fonts and I like the abilty of pdf to embed fonts.

Thank for the info about the page size in the reader. Using those settings I checked my book in the connect reader and it seemed ok. I have used cambria font size 11, because any larger and I would get only one paragraph per page.

One questions, though. I read that the reader resolution is 166 DPI, if so, is there any point, when converting to pdf, to set the book DPI any higher?

Also I read here on the forum conflicting opinions whether pdf books take more time to turn the pages. If it's true, does it has anything to do with the book size? because unlike what I read here, the rtf and the my resulting pdf are pretty much the same size .
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2007, 06:00 AM   #33
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple dave
Also I read here on the forum conflicting opinions whether pdf books take more time to turn the pages. If it's true, does it has anything to do with the book size? because unlike what I read here, the rtf and the my resulting pdf are pretty much the same size .
If you use the default fonts when you prepare PDF using Sony instructions, then turning pages is as quick as RTF/LRF, however, if you use different fonts...like I did when I made sony style PDF from Russian RTF book, turning pages became a problem. 2-3 seconds. It was the same for me all over the book. Some people say that you learn the pre-emptive page turning. When there are only 1-2 lines left to read on the page you hit the "turn page" button, so it turns when you finish the page. I didn't like it, but I didn't read any books like that as well. I just experimented a bit. Probably if you have no choice (like me, if I want to read a book in Russian), then you get used to it in a while.
If I were you, I would stick to LRF files made by BD from RTF or HTML files. The best books so far.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I also seem to recall that folks did have issues with very long (lotsa pages) PDFs slowing their page turns as they went, and something about pages after 1000 just not displaying at all. Some or all of that may have been addressed by the firmware update ... I just don't recall offhand.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:51 AM   #35
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I also seem to recall that folks did have issues with very long (lotsa pages) PDFs slowing their page turns as they went, and something about pages after 1000 just not displaying at all. Some or all of that may have been addressed by the firmware update ... I just don't recall offhand.
I have heard the same, but correctly if I am wrong, I think this problem does not exist if you create PDF file properly.
Advert
Old 03-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #36
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure you are, astra_lestat -- I don't remember clearly enough to claim otherwise, even if it were so.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:10 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm getting the reader today so I will be able to check how all the books I made will look. I decided to go with the pdf format even though it sounds like the reader handles rtf better, because I'm very particular about fonts and I like the abilty of pdf to embed fonts.
Perhaps a good idea to try out the different book formats once you get the Reader and see which you prefer in practice? One of the down-sides of PDFs, for example, is that you can't zoom in on them as you can with RTFs.

I guess it depends as well whether you're formatted a book to read once and then "throw away", or formatting it to keep and read many times. The nice thing about RTF is that you can format it nicely for the Reader in a few seconds; having no experience of the LRF or PDF tools I've no idea how long they take to use.

Anyway, enjoy your Reader when it arrives - I think you've made an excellent choice in buying one!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:24 AM   #38
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
You are right, harry. I learned my lesson (from the various palm formats) and I always try to keep a plain text or rtf as, let's say, base ebook. Even if I later convert it to some other format.

Quote:
Perhaps a good idea to try out the different book formats once you get the Reader and see which you prefer in practice? One of the down-sides of PDFs, for example, is that you can't zoom in on them as you can with RTFs.
Sounds like good idea. Will try.

Quote:
Anyway, enjoy your Reader when it arrives - I think you've made an excellent choice in buying one!
I sure will!
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I learned my lesson (from the various palm formats) and I always try to keep a plain text or rtf as, let's say, base ebook. Even if I later convert it to some other format.
I learned my lesson the hard way, too . I'm a long-time fan of the SF and Fantasy publisher, Baen. In the "old days" I used to download their books in device-specific format; now I always download in RTF because I know that, no matter what device I'm reading books on in 5 or 10 years time, I'm pretty certain to be able to either read RTF directly on it, or at least convert from RTF to its device-specific formats. "Open" formats are definitely the way to go!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:08 AM   #40
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Yep, I think RTF is the best option for regular text books right now. I usually bump the font size up to 24 before installing it. The small size is comfortable and I can read the large size across the room.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:42 AM   #41
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by flumbo
Yep, I think RTF is the best option for regular text books right now. I usually bump the font size up to 24 before installing it. The small size is comfortable and I can read the large size across the room.
... one letter at a time! Man! you need a remote.

Say flumbo is your avatar a picture of Hal?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:57 PM   #42
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Say flumbo is your avatar a picture of Hal?
I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, ...
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #43
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air

Very credible... almost.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #44
NatCh
Gizmologist

Probably news to no one, but I find amusing what you get if you go up the alphabet 1 place from letter in "HAL"
Old 03-15-2007, 02:47 PM   #45
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
That's why the named it HAL in the movie.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote