Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm sending a message to publishers.

I do not agree with the new pricing model for ebooks but feel bad for the authors whom I think will ultimately suffer a decline in sales. I recently pirated a book by one of my favourite authors and I am going to send him a personal cheque for $9.99 care of his publisher. This way I get the book I want at a price I feel is fair while also sending a message to his publisher.
Now imagine if everyone started doing that...
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
A revolutionary idea! Let us know when the check is deposited.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
ay!

While I applaud your willingness to stand by your convictions I personally do not have the bravery that would be required to confess a theft in writing and include a tiny slip of paper giving my name and address.

But if you end up in a jail cell, I'll happily send you a couple of "Thinking of You!" greeting cards.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
ay!

While I applaud your willingness to stand by your convictions I personally do not have the bravery that would be required to confess a theft in writing and include a tiny slip of paper giving my name and address.

But if you end up in a jail cell, I'll happily send you a couple of "Thinking of You!" greeting cards.
Way to plant the seed of fear. Do you work for a publishing company?
Old 04-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
You can use an anonymous money order.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Can money orders really be anonymous? I thought the place where you buy them keeps a log of the purchaser and intended receiver of all money orders...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
I do not agree with the new pricing model for ebooks but feel bad for the authors whom I think will ultimately suffer a decline in sales. I recently pirated a book by one of my favourite authors and I am going to send him a personal cheque for $9.99 care of his publisher. This way I get the book I want at a price I feel is fair while also sending a message to his publisher.
Now imagine if everyone started doing that...
With respect, your personal view that the price is too high is not a valid justification for obtaining the book illegally. Why not just read something else instead? Do you take other things without paying for them if you think that they are too expensive?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:12 AM   #8
langshipley
Connoisseur
langshipley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Paperwhite 2, iOS Kindle app
Quote:
I recently pirated a book by one of my favourite authors
And here I'm wondering how you did it. ;-p
langshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With respect, your personal view that the price is too high is not a valid justification for obtaining the book illegally. Why not just read something else instead? Do you take other things without paying for them if you think that they are too expensive?
Once again, copyright infringement is not theft. It is separate type of illegal action. Confusing the two does nothing but confuse the relevant ethical discourse to the benefit of the entrenched powers. In other words, people's hackles get raised when you talk about stealing. They don't when you talk about intellectual "property" violations.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My personal views are completely valid to me. Personal views are the catalyst for change.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #11
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Can money orders really be anonymous? I thought the place where you buy them keeps a log of the purchaser and intended receiver of all money orders...
I will look into this and let you know.
Of course I could always send cash but then I'd never know if it really got to the intended party. If only I had his home address. I'm going to do some digging.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
...while also sending a message to his publisher...
Quote:
If only I had his home address.
But if you send the money directly to the author, you won't be sending a message to the publisher, which I thought was the primary goal of the endeavor.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
In a related instance, I once (back in the mid-90s) weirded out the agent for a couple of musicians. I'd heard a limited-issue (and self-produced -- no record label involved!) CD of theirs that I really REALLY liked, and wanted a copy. They were sold out. I couldn't find it new. I couldn't find one used. It was just plain flat-out unavailable... everywhere. Eventually, I borrowed a friend's copy of the disc and burned my own. Then, I wrote a letter to the agent explaining what I had done and asking them to tell me how large a check I should send to pay for the disc and also (of course) who should get the money.

About a week after I mailed that letter I had a rather odd telephone conversation with the agent. They couldn't believe that anyone would volunteer to pay for a "pirated" disc. Once I convinced them that I was serious—and that I'd've bought it in the market if it hadn't been made of unobtanium—they told me that they'd get back to me on it. About two weeks later, I got a formal note telling me that I should send $1 each to BMI and ASCAP (referencing account numbers X and Y, respectively), and that both musicians and agent would waive their cut if I would donate $8 or more to my favorite charity. They explained that processing the payment for a single copy of the album would cost everyone more in labor than it would bring in revenue-wise!

It seems that ASCAP and BMI are contractually obligated to collect the royalties regardless (and to then disburse them to the appropriate artists and composers, of course), so they had me send the payment referencing the appropriate account information for the album. The musicians (and their agent) chose to waive their payment because it was cheaper to do so than it would have been to take my money. And they all chalked up the time spent figuring out these details as "part of the cost of doing business"—specifically, learning how to handle such things should they ever arise again in future.

My personal ethics say that one should pay (or at least attempt to pay) full freight or do without. (Note that library and used copies count as paying full freight in this context). YMMV, of course.

By comparison, in Duiker's case, he's trying to pay the artist (author) directly. That's quite laudable, but it cuts out some others who really matter. Given that he didn't use the services of a retailer, I have no problem with not paying there. But the publisher has
  • fronted advance money on the book
  • provided editorial services
  • provided proof-reading, layout, copy-editing, etc.
  • done some advertising (maybe, maybe not)
  • incurred various production expenses related to the book (different in paper and bits, but still real...)
and isn't getting paid for any of that. Nor are they making any profit on the "sale" (non-sale, really, but...).

I would argue that Duiker would have done better to tell the publisher that they lost the sale entirely but that he'd have bought at a more attractive price-point. Or, he could have approached it as a negotiation—perhaps by sending that check for $9.99 and asking them to reply with a download link if they deposit the check (thus making the transaction at a lower price).

Even with all my quibbles, however, good for Duiker for trying to do something more than simply "pirating" (Ghod I hate that word!) the book. I simply feel that it wasn't quite enough of a "something."

As with any question of ethics, YMMV.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Once again, copyright infringement is not theft. It is separate type of illegal action.
Perhaps you'd be good enough to point out where I said that it was?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #15
mykoffee
Enthusiast
mykoffee began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post

We sell money orders at my place of work (the post office) and there are no logs kept as to who purchased them. Serial numbers are kept only so that they can be traced if lost or stolen.

If it were me I certainly would not include my name and address with any kind of note that I illegally downloaded a copy of anything!

Linda
mykoffee is offline   Reply With Quote