Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
As the OP said that's not an option.
Yes, I know. But whoever gets stuck with the 600 is not going to want to use it. So why bother with it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, I know. But whoever gets stuck with the 600 is not going to want to use it. So why bother with it?
Not the point really.

I don't care for the 600 either, but that said there are a fair number of people on this forum and elsewhere that are/were fine with them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not the point really.

I don't care for the 600 either, but that said there are a fair number of people on this forum and elsewhere that are/were fine with them.
I'd like the OP to comment. Would you and/or your daughter mind using the 600's screen and would lack of full justification in ePub be an issue?
Old 06-15-2013, 02:07 AM   #19
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
The best solution is to sell the 600 and get something else. If you make the font too dark, it will just look bold and annoying. I agree that upping the weight is good, but too much up and it's just too dark. Also, if you go too much up, you can spoil the font's look as the auto bolding fills in some of the bits that should be empty like in the letter e.
I use a heavy bold font on my 650. Not standard, not bold, but HEAVY. Heavy is to bold what bold is to standard. I like it. Originally I thought it was too much, but after switching back after a couple of days, I realized I prefer it. I like clarity. And that's on a 650! I think it would work very well on a 600.

And your metaphor about the 600 being a mirror is exaggeration. Yes, it's glary, but it's no way a mirror.

[QUOTE=JSWolf;2543807]...and would lack of full justification in ePub be an issue?/QUOTE]

I don't understand. Epubs justify perfectly on a 600. The only issue is the screen.

Last edited by Rizla; 06-15-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #20
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
I'd like the OP to comment. Would you and/or your daughter mind using the 600's screen and would lack of full justification in ePub be an issue?
I don't like the 600 and chose the 300 at the time. The OP may ultimately not like it either but unless you're going to fork over the cash for him or her to buy another reader, give it up already. They've repeatedly said they're not buying another one. It's a done deal. Ideally yes a different reader would be better but it's their money not anyone else's and it's too late. They already bought the 600. Let it go.

OP, go with the Kindle because the screen on the 600 is terrible. It's not a good reading experience.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I use a heavy bold font on my 650. Not standard, not bold, but HEAVY. Heavy is to bold what bold is to standard. I like it. Originally I thought it was too much, but after switching back after a couple of days, I realized I prefer it. I like clarity. And that's on a 650! I think it would work very well on a 600.
I use a heavier weight font on my 650 and it looks very nice. It's not as heavy as the bold version, but heavy enough.

Quote:
And your metaphor about the 600 being a mirror is exaggeration. Yes, it's glary, but it's no way a mirror.
Yes, it's quite mirror like. I have used a 600 and found I could se emy reflection very well.

Quote:
...and would lack of full justification in ePub be an issue?

Quote:
I don't understand. Epubs justify perfectly on a 600. The only issue is the screen.
Please show me a screen show of an ePub on a 600 fully justified. I've only every seen ePub on a 600 left justified. The 900 allowed full justification. Then the x50 series did as well. The 600 did not show full justification even if the ePub was set that way.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I don't like the 600 and chose the 300 at the time. The OP may ultimately not like it either but unless you're going to fork over the cash for him or her to buy another reader, give it up already. They've repeatedly said they're not buying another one. It's a done deal. Ideally yes a different reader would be better but it's their money not anyone else's and it's too late. They already bought the 600. Let it go.

OP, go with the Kindle because the screen on the 600 is terrible. It's not a good reading experience.
But then the OP's daughter gets the 600 and the poor screen. She may find it worse then the 500.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #23
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
But then the OP's daughter gets the 600 and the poor screen. She may find it worse then the 500.
Oh well. Again, unless you're going to pay for him/her to buy a different reader it's a non-issue.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #24
Naloomi
Building Better Worlds
Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.

Device: PRS-600, 3G Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6+, Paperwhite 2
I have decided to go with the Kindle over the 600. My daughter likes the 600 so far. It's got better contrast than the 500 and all her books came over on the SD card we have pre loaded with them. And, with the light in the case I bought it with enabling her to read later than normal, she's ecstatic.

Chris
aka Naloomi
Naloomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #25
Naloomi
Building Better Worlds
Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.

Device: PRS-600, 3G Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6+, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
I assume the Kindle's browser will work with Box in a similar way to it working with DropBox. Being able to download books from my DropBox is one thing I really like about readers with a web browser. Note it usually works best to try the mobile site so for Box go to https://m.box.com/ instead of the regular box.com
Actually, on box.com, even on the mobile version, it does not work.

I get a 'Web Browser could not open this link because opening multiple windows is not supported' error message.

Any help would be great, but since I've pretty much ended the original 'post' on this, I'll probably open a new thread on it.

Chris
aka Naloomi
Naloomi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparison, help deciding, kindle keyboard, sony 600