Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
change default dictionary

Hi,

I bought a kobo glo a couple weeks ago, and I'm going crazy with the dictionaries, first it was that I couldn't use the portuguese dictionaries because they wouldn’t appear in my glo, but thanks to a tread from murg (many thank's murg) I downloaded them and put them in the glo and problem solved.

I’m portuguese but I read in english, but same times I have problems understanding some words, so I would like to know if is it possible to make the translation dictionary the default, I would like to tap in a word and that it showed the translation without having to tap translation dictionary and then chose the language.

Besides I would like to change the default translation dictionary, when I want to translate a word it shows as the first option the english-french dictionary, then I must chose the dictionary that I want to use, which is english-portuguese. Is there a way to make the english-portuguese the default dictionary? I tried changing the options in the language menu, but with no result, I deleted the english-french dictionary, I though that if the dictionary doesn’t exist it would not appear in the list, but with no success since it still is the first one to appear despite the fact that I don’t have that dictionary in the glo.

Thank’s in advance for any help you may give me.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
I’m portuguese but I read in english, but same times I have problems understanding some words, so I would like to know if is it possible to make the translation dictionary the default, I would like to tap in a word and that it showed the translation without having to tap translation dictionary and then chose the language.

Besides I would like to change the default translation dictionary, when I want to translate a word it shows as the first option the english-french dictionary, then I must chose the dictionary that I want to use, which is english-portuguese. Is there a way to make the english-portuguese the default dictionary?
You can try renaming the dictionary files on {drive letter}:\.kobo\dict.
Rename for instance dicthtml.zip to dicthtml-en-fr.zip, and dicthtml-en-pt.zip to dicthtml.zip. Then instead of the English definition dictionary the English-Protuguese dictionary will appear, and instead of the French-English dictionary the English definition dictionary will appear. Be aware that the menu entries will not change and will therefore show incorrect information (English definition and French-English).
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
The on device database in version 2.2.0 (and presumably 2.2.1) has a table for the dictionaries, but it doesn't look like it is being used yet.

So, it may be easier in the future to set up the dictionaries. Or even add new ones.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
The on device database in version 2.2.0 (and presumably 2.2.1) has a table for the dictionaries, but it doesn't look like it is being used yet.

So, it may be easier in the future to set up the dictionaries. Or even add new ones.
It is being used and has since 2.1.4. It shows what dictionaries you have installed. Plus I think there is an entry for any you have installed and then uninstalled. It looks like you should be able to define extra dictionaries in it. But, the little playing I have done with it put an extra dictionary in the "Manage dictionaries" list, but not in the lists when looking up or translating a word.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Rename for instance dicthtml.zip to dicthtml-en-fr.zip, and dicthtml-en-pt.zip to dicthtml.zip. Then instead of the English definition dictionary the English-Protuguese dictionary will appear, and instead of the French-English dictionary the English definition dictionary will appear. Be aware that the menu entries will not change and will therefore show incorrect information (English definition and French-English).
thank's, I changed it just like you said and now it is much easier to access the translation than before.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am glad it works for you!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
bebop
bebop began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Rename for instance dicthtml.zip to dicthtml-en-fr.zip, and dicthtml-en-pt.zip to dicthtml.zip....
I did this so that I would automatically go to the English-German dictionary (and not have to go through the process of manually reselecting it every time, which is really annoying) instead of English, and yes, this does work ... but good lord what a clumsy, kludgy workaround -Now I have to remember that in my settings "English" is really German-to-English and "German" is really English, and if I want to switch the default back to normal I have to plug the device back into a computer and start fiddling with file names all over again.

The Kobo is a great piece of hardware, and it's dissappointing to see its functionality decreased so dramatically just because it didn't occur to the people designing the interface that some people might prefer a default language other than English.

It would take such a small amount of effort to fix this, yet this one incredibly annoying bug is primarily the reason why I wouldn't recommend the Kobo to friends.
bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
tempest@de
Fanatic

with the firmware 2.3.1 the problem of the default dictionary was solved, the glo "remebered" that I want the default dictionary to be english-portuguese, so this trick was no longer needes for that firmware, since I went back for the 2.1.5 I still use this.
I hope that with the new firmware 2.4.0 it still "remembers"
Old 03-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
bebop

Quote:
with the firmware 2.3.1 the problem of the default dictionary was solved, the glo "remebered" that I want the default dictionary ...
My dictionary problem is definitely not solved, and after trying to look up which version I have running I found something even more frustrating: When I go to settings->Device Information and look under "Software Details" it says Software Version 2.3.1.
But then when I touch the "Release Notes: [View]" box directly below that it says : "Your Reader now has software version 2.3.0. With it, you can: ..."

So which is it? version 2.3.1 or 2.3.0 ?
Now I don't even know what version I'm running, and don't know whether I need to update it to fix the problem with the dictionaries. This is like Inception -a problem within a problem... A device should not give conflicting answers when you want to determine which version of software is currently running on it.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
If the device page lists your firmware as version "2.3.1" then that is what you have. To explain, Kobo has pared down the release notes to only list new "enhancements" and as such if (when) they issue a bug fix for a newly generated issue notes aren't necessarily updated. It is a bit of a shame because lots of us would really like to know what they changed, fixed (or broke) but listing all that could take up a good deal of space.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
bebop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane1 View Post
If the device page lists your firmware as version "2.3.1" then that is what you have.
Thanks for the help Thane.
ok, so if I really have version 2.3.1, then what tempest wrote isn't true. Version 2.3.1 still sets the default dictionary to "always english". Even when I specifically remove the english dictionary and reset the device operating language to something else (then it says "You don't have an english dictionary installed", and I'm like "yeah, I know, I specifically removed it to try to prevent you from going to it"

So I don't really know of any other way to fix this on the long term. Any other people have any ideas?
Old 03-20-2013, 05:00 AM   #12
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebop View Post
Version 2.3.1 still sets the default dictionary to "always english". Even when I specifically remove the english dictionary and reset the device operating language to something else (then it says "You don't have an english dictionary installed", and I'm like "yeah, I know, I specifically removed it to try to prevent you from going to it"
The default dictionary (always a definition dictionary) depends on the books language, rather than the user language. It is however different with translation dictionaries. There the default dictionary should of course be "book's language" > "user language" (provided the book's language is not the same as the user language, in which case there cannot be a translation dictionary). However, when I checked this the last time (maybe under FW 2.3.0/2.3.1) this did not work for all languages if I remember correctly.

Quote:
with the firmware 2.3.1 the problem of the default dictionary was solved, the glo "remebered" that I want the default dictionary to be english-portuguese, so this trick was no longer needes for that firmware, since I went back for the 2.1.5 I still use this.
I hope that with the new firmware 2.4.0 it still "remembers"
How did you tell the glo that you want the default dictionary to be english-portuguese?

Last edited by tshering; 03-20-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
tempest@de
Fanatic

sorry I wasn't very clear, I should have said the default translation dictionary

Quote:
with the firmware 2.3.1 the problem of the default dictionary was solved, the glo "remebered" that I want the default translation dictionary to be english-portuguese, so this trick was no longer needed for that firmware, since I went back for the 2.1.5 I still use this.
by default it opens the english dictionary, I suppose it does that because the books I read are in english, but that doesn’t bother me since I prefer to first read the definition and only if I still can’t understand the word I use the translation dictionary.

and with the 2.4.0 it still "remembers" what is my default translation dictionary
Old 03-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
tshering
Wizard

tempest@de,
thank you for clarification.

A nice thing is also to merge a definition dictionary and a translation dictionary into one combined dictionary.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
tempest@de
Fanatic

is it possible to do that tshering? that would be great.