Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #1
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Dictionary - word definitions

Hi all,

can someone recommend an English dictionary - one that provides me with definitions, rather than equivalent word in another language - for the 302?

I have the Webster 1913 on there at the moment, but this seems to me a little small.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #2
prusaks
prusaks began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302
I use these two:
oxford.dic(4.46 MB)
webster_1913.dic(6.36 MB)

Most of my books have technical language so I am not using these so often but as much as I had a need they had all the words.

I copied these from my PB 302, so they will work properly on 302.
prusaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Prusaks, et al,

many thanks. I will try the Oxford.

Believe it or not, this came about when I was reading Fault Line by Barry Eisler: he used the word "copacetic", and it was not in the Webster.

(What was that thing Orwell said about "...never use a big word when a little word will do..."? )

Cheers,
Old 02-05-2011, 02:52 AM   #4
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
There seems to be a new edition Webster in this thread. http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11975
Sorry, I can't remember on which page.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:52 AM   #5
Metal Mick
Addict

Hi jshzh,

many thanks for this. I'm happy to go through the pages.

Will suss it out when I can and amend this thread.

Cheers,
Old 02-06-2011, 04:15 AM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Hi jshzh,

many thanks for this. I'm happy to go through the pages.

Will suss it out when I can and amend this thread.

Cheers,
HI, I think I have found it: should be the post by vladmoscow
dated June 15, 2010 12:57 pm

and the file is available at this link:
http://narod.ru/disk/21869731000/Poc...aries.zip.html

Only question is, these look legal to me, but can anybody that understands Russian confirm?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Quote:
Hi Prusaks, et al,

many thanks. I will try the Oxford.

Believe it or not, this came about when I was reading Fault Line by Barry Eisler: he used the word "copacetic", and it was not in the Webster.

(What was that thing Orwell said about "...never use a big word when a little word will do..."? )

Cheers,
The new edition has "copacetic"...
adjective or copasetic ...origin unknown slang: very satisfactory: fine and dandy His smile told him that everything was copacetic -- Robert Bloch

I wonder what Orwell would have to say about copyrights. Would he argue that free access to knowledge is a basic human right just as freedom of speech? 300 years ago it was a bunch of industrialists in his country who made the first copyright laws called, ironically, An Act for the Encouragement of Learning...From the very beginning it was about controlling one of the important ways to maintain power and money in an unfair system.

The university I am currently associated with is becoming more like a cooperative as many other educational institutions in this country but there is one thing it does I really appreciate. It allows anyone to enter its library to use the computers and books. I am happy to see a homeless woman asking for a temporary pass with all her property in the cart beside her. Another university here even unilaterally stopped the inter-library service agreement and made students from other universities pay to use its library material.

Last edited by jshzh; 02-07-2011 at 12:24 AM.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:12 AM   #8
Metal Mick
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
HI, I think I have found it: should be the post by vladmoscow
dated June 15, 2010 12:57 pm

and the file is available at this link:
http://narod.ru/disk/21869731000/Poc...aries.zip.html

Only question is, these look legal to me, but can anybody that understands Russian confirm?
Hi Paolo, et al,

I've been trying to download the file all day - it stalls at irregular intervals - but I shall keep trying, from time to time. I got to 99.6% and it refused to go further, which I thought was far from copacetic.

If I do get a hold of it, perhaps I can upload it to my webspace and put a link here? Or is there a better solution?

Cheers,
Old 02-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #9
Metal Mick
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
adjective or copasetic ...origin unknown slang: very satisfactory: fine and dandy His smile told him that everything was copacetic -- Robert Bloch

I wonder what Orwell would have to say about copyrights. Would he argue that free access to knowledge is a basic human right just as freedom of speech? 300 years ago it was a bunch of industrialists in his country who made the first copyright laws called, ironically, An Act for the Encouragement of Learning...From the very beginning it was about controlling one of the important ways to maintain power and money in an unfair system.

The university I am currently associated with is becoming more like a cooperative as many other educational institutions in this country but there is one thing it does I really appreciate. It allows anyone to enter its library to use the computers and books. I am happy to see a homeless woman asking for a temporary pass with all her property in the cart beside her. Another university here even unilaterally stopped the inter-library service agreement and made students from other universities pay to use its library material.
I looked up the word - I hate it when I encounter a word I don't know.

What a wonderful story regarding your university!

Not sure what Orwell would say about copyrights, I think he is a writer of great intellect. I should look up his biography, I'm certain it would make fascinating reading.

Many thanks to all for your help. Much appreciated.

Cheers from sunny (then cold and rainy, then sunny again) Australia!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Paolo, et al,

I've been trying to download the file all day - it stalls at irregular intervals - but I shall keep trying, from time to time. I got to 99.6% and it refused to go further, which I thought was far from copacetic.

If I do get a hold of it, perhaps I can upload it to my webspace and put a link here? Or is there a better solution?

Cheers,
Hi Mick,
I have downloaded it, so perhaps if you have trouble I can upload it myself - but it will have to be tomorrow at best (traveling), and before I do so I'd like confrimation this is legal...
Old 02-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #11
Metal Mick
Addict

Hi Paolo,

many thanks for the kind offer. Let me try a couple more times, to save you going to so much trouble, and if it still fails, I'll get back to you.

The file is nearly 300MB, so it will take you a bit of time to upload it.

I tend to think you have no legal worries, because if the link is openly available and you are merely sending the original file, then nobody should be in a position to complain.

Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:52 AM   #12
paola
Wizard

ahem...
Quote:
Hi Paolo
it is paolA (otherwise you turn me into a boy)
Old 02-09-2011, 04:27 AM   #13
Metal Mick
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
ahem...

it is paolA (otherwise you turn me into a boy)
Hi Paola,

my sincerest apologies - I certainly have no desire to change your gender! :

But back to business: I was able to download the dictionaries, and there were some very interesting ones in there, like the slang dictionary. Many Russian dictionaries, and some I am not sure of as yet.

Total package size is nearly 300MB, and given that not everyone will want them all, is it worthwhile uploading the entire file? I don't mind.

Perhaps some thoughts and suggestions on what to do: should I bundle the English ones, and the Russian ones separately, and upload them to some area accessible to all? There was some concern about copyright.

I'm happy to be guided by wiser heads here.

Cheers,
Old 02-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #14
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Why not put it on Rapidshare or some such, and post the link here?
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #15
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
I think the origin of the word was the bastardization of either a Korean or Japanese word meaning the equivalent of OK and used the same way.

I didn't recognize the word at first. Although I have used the word "copasetic" many times, in the past, I have never seen it in print. It was a common expression used by G.I.s during the Korean War.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote