Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Do you know anyone who has never been on the internet?

I spent most of yesterday helping my aunt get her new Kindle (which she got from me) set up, and during our adventure, it came out that she has never been on the internet before. Email, yes---she could handle Outlook Express just fine. But the actual Firefox/Internet Explorer/Web thing, nope. Never ever. I feel a little dirty that her first website ever was Amazon.com but oh well.

I was honestly surprised to still find someone out there today who has never been on the web. I give my 87-year-old grandparents a pass, but this is an educated, capable lawyer who is maybe 60. I can't believe she has never done anything on-line!

Do you know anyone who still hasn't joined the internet age? Or is my aunt just an anomaly?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Yup, but they tend to be old. I know one woman in her 40s who hasn't been online, either. She's one of those ladies who lunch. She hasn't worked in decades and her husband uses computers, but only at work. For her lifestyle, she doesn't seem to need to go online.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 01-31-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
My 87 year old grandma tried the internet and didn't like it much, so she doesn't use it. The only other people I know who haven't been on the internet live in a third-world country
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
My father has never used a computer before. He's 52. All of the contact between him and family/friends is done by phone. If he needs to do any banking/pay bills he goes to the bank. The only piece of mdern technology that he owns is a cell phone, and even that he can only use to make a call if he knows the number without needing to into his contacts.

I should mention though that he's originally from a very small village in India and he's very old school and didn't have much of an education. Computers are very intimidating to him. I got him to play Super Nintendo once and I was laughing so hard I fell off my chair.

There are still a lot of people like him out there I'm sure. People from other countries or small towns where they grew up without any of the technology that we have other than a phone. It can be intimidating to people, to the point where they will refuse to learn how to use any of it.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Do you know anyone who still hasn't joined the internet age? Or is my aunt just an anomaly?
I know several people who have never been online and don't even own a computer. If I didn't need one in my work, I wouldn't own one either.

I can also say that I have never played a video game on my computer and I don't own any video games or video game equipment.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
My father has never used a computer before. He's 52. All of the contact between him and family/friends is done by phone. If he needs to do any banking/pay bills he goes to the bank. The only piece of mdern technology that he owns is a cell phone, and even that he can only use to make a call if he knows the number without needing to into his contacts.

I should mention though that he's originally from a very small village in India and he's very old school and didn't have much of an education. Computers are very intimidating to him. I got him to play Super Nintendo once and I was laughing so hard I fell off my chair.

There are still a lot of people like him out there I'm sure. People from other countries or small towns where they grew up without any of the technology that we have other than a phone. It can be intimidating to people, to the point where they will refuse to learn how to use any of it.
Sounds like your dad is almost exactly like my dad (my dad's in his 60's, though). He's never been on the internet either. He has used my printer before, but only in a photocopying capacity for work as far as I know. Who knows - maybe our dads know each other (my dad lives in the GTA)!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
My dad has never used the internet, he is 79. He knows a lot ABOUT the internet (for someone who has never used it!) because he watches the financial news just about all day.

My mom got a computer about 5 years ago. I was shocked that she had never used one before, I had to teach her how to use the mouse. (She honed her mouse skills on solitaire!!) She is an accountant and ran a very successful business. She had a ten-key adding machine on her desk, and if she wanted reports, her secretary would run the reports, print them out, and give them to her.

When I was a kid, I loved to watch my mom use the ten-key adding machine. Her fingers would fly and she would never even look at it. I wanted her to enter some kind of ten-key adding competition. lol. They also had a telex machine in the office and they could dial a number and get ascii art on the telex. Except I guess it wasn't called ascii art back then!

Oh and despite their own computer illiteracy, they had the foresight to buy me a computer very early on. It was an IBM PC. It had four colors. I loved it. I was around 12.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I know a lot of people that have never been on the internet. If I don't include people I know through work, then I know more people that are OFF of the internet than I do that are ON.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Oh and despite their own computer illiteracy, they had the foresight to buy me a computer very early on. It was an IBM PC. It had four colors. I loved it. I was around 12.

eP
I didn't get a computer until I was in my first master's program! I begged and begged my parents to get me one for years, to no avail. I couldn't afford one myself until I was about halfway through my masters (I paid my own way through university, and I didn't want to take out any student loans, so I was perpetually broke, and computers were quite a bit more pricey back then). I did try to teach my mom how to use the internet, but as she doesn't have a computer she doesn't have any way to practice what I've taught her.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Sounds like your dad is almost exactly like my dad (my dad's in his 60's, though). He's never been on the internet either. He has used my printer before, but only in a photocopying capacity for work as far as I know. Who knows - maybe our dads know each other (my dad lives in the GTA)!
At least your dad can photocopy! Maybe your dad can teach my dad how to use one
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
One of Tim's burned out former stoner friends can't do tech. He doesn't even own a VHS tape player, certainly not a DVD player. If he sees photos of us, we have to print and mail them the old fashioned way.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:27 PM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Even my first year of college, there were not that many students in my dorm who had computers. Everyone would use mine to play tetris. And it was that same old IBM PC!

Even though she has her own computer, my mom has not taken to it very well. She calls me when someone emails her a picture and asks me "how can I get it to come in?" When I showed her my ereader at Christmas, she was excited to see the big fonts, but I really don't think that she would be able to load books on it. If I were there, I could do it for her.

But back to the OP. I don't think I know anyone under the age of 60 who has never used the internet.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Okay, this one gets my snark up....

Here we have it in a nutshell there: someone thinking that "the Internet" is synonymous with "the Web".

No, it isn't. Email, for example, is part of the Internet. The Web is just one of the many services that ride the Internet. It's mostly the young and inexperienced who think "the Internet" means "the Web" and nothing more. The kind of people who think 40 is old. The kind of people who think getting ones email is "never doing anything online" because it isn't the Web.

People used the Internet long before the World Wide Web was even invented. Yes, I did, among many others. And people are still using the Internet in ways that do not involve the Web.

Oh, by the way, I have relatives older than your grandparents. They use the Internet (in numerous ways, including the Web) all the time. The one relative I can think of who doesn't is one who lives in the back of beyond and probably couldn't get a decent dialup connection ... but one of these days, I might drop off a computer there just in case.

Before you start laughing at people who don't use the Internet in the same way you do, you should probably be sure you know what your terms mean. And think, also, of what those people are doing with the time that we're all spending yammering on MobileRead. I'm not sure that they don't have the best of it.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:50 PM   #14
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
One of my other personalities refuses to touch it.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #15
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post

People used the Internet long before the World Wide Web was even invented. Yes, I did, among many others. And people are still using the Internet in ways that do not involve the Web.
Lol. Flashback to my Usenet days.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote