Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
miki
miki doesn't littermiki doesn't litter

Device: EZ Reader (Hanlin V3)
Looking for a good manga + Chinese ereader

Hi,

I am in the market for a new ereader. Specifically, my wishlist:

- supports Chinese text files (preferably in their native GB2312 encodings, not just unicode).
- displays manga scanlations well (I had the Astak EZReader which does the Chinese text files great, but the manga jpeg files were completely unreadable)
- can zoom into the manga files.
- matte screen (not glossy, no touchscreen).
- preferably has a removable battery
- can read files off an external SD or other type of memory card
- can store files in folders
- the bigger the e-ink screen, the better (this is icing on the cake).
- removable battery

The original Astak EZReader (Hanlin) met every one of my requirements EXCEPT being able to read the manga scanlations. It doesn't support PDF files with embedded images very well at all, and its display of the original (hi-res) JPEG files was a nightmare. The text was not readable at all, and I couldn't zoom.

Anyone know any e-readers out there that would fit my requirements?

Last edited by miki; 11-06-2009 at 02:53 PM.
miki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
klleung72781
klleung72781 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I've tried reading Manga on my old Sony PRS-505 but realized its screen resolution is just not ideal for Manga. Plus it lacks the processing power to zoom in and out of pages quickly, when dialogues become too small to read, hence the small screen size.
I've seen someone using the Kindle DX, but it still suffers from the same processor problem.
If your budget is right around $500, give iPad a try, and I highly recommend the free Cloud reader app (free).
klleung72781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by klleung72781 View Post
I've tried reading Manga on my old Sony PRS-505 but realized its screen resolution is just not ideal for Manga. Plus it lacks the processing power to zoom in and out of pages quickly, when dialogues become too small to read, hence the small screen size.
I've seen someone using the Kindle DX, but it still suffers from the same processor problem.
If your budget is right around $500, give iPad a try, and I highly recommend the free Cloud reader app (free).
I think that the newer Sony prs-650 should be able to zoom on the dialogues. Also, the new reader from Asus might be good for manga:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_I...?v=4mi0BDw3a-w

It has a 9 inch screen, it should be a good size for manga.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
klleung72781
klleung72781 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I think that the newer Sony prs-650 should be able to zoom on the dialogues. Also, the new reader from Asus might be good for manga:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_I...?v=4mi0BDw3a-w

It has a 9 inch screen, it should be a good size for manga.
Agreed... but the refresh rate is still not as quick as the iPad...
But that Eee Note is sure very tempting.
klleung72781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
PocketBook IQ does manga well. I don't know about Chinese, though. Check the PocketBook forum for more info regarding manga and the IQ.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote