Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Does this sound sensible to you?

Edited by boxcorner

Last edited by boxcorner; 10-26-2010 at 02:28 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
The only thought I would have is whether you are considering all your options. Calibre will recognize more than just the Sony readers... and Linux should as well. I am pretty sure that the Nook and the Kindle are also supported by Calibre and while they have features you don't need, they are also a fair bit cheaper than the Sony reader.

Now mind you, I am not saying this to say you shouldn't get the Sony. It has its own merits, like the touch screen and great build quality that might well make it worth the extra cost for you. I just wanted to make sure you knew that you weren't tied to the Sony.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
If you intend to avoid any drm encoded books, then you could consider the Kindle 3 and just convert any epubs to mobi using Calibre.

Otherwise, the new Pearl screen should be a help with any fading eyesight and currently that does just seem to leave you with the Sony.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
If your eyesight is a concern, look into the 9.7in Pocketbook 902.
It doesn't cost much more than the Sony and it has a much larger screen, which comes in real handy for pdf.
It supports more DRMfree formats than Sony, gives you more control over formatting and is recognized by Linux and Calibre just fine.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Edited by boxcorner

Old 10-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Edited by boxcorner

Old 10-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
@ bill_mchale
Many thanks for your input. Yes, I realise that calibre will recognise other readers, was aware of the Kindle and Nook, but I thought the latter wasn't available in Europe. I know the former is available, but am a bit concerned about the build quality, not keen on the keyboard, haven't read anything that suggests it would be recognised by my OS, plus the WiFi would be redundant. I certainly don't consider myself tied to the Sony, though. I haven't bought anything yet
Ah... I forgot to check where you are from. Yes, you are correct about the Nook not being available where you are sorry about that.

I would have to look, but I don't think there is any particular reason it wouldn't mount on your system. Then again, I don't own a Kindle, so I can't be sure.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Edited by boxcorner

Old 10-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@church mouse
Many thanks for your input and the tip regarding the Kindle 3. Otherwise, you seem to be endorsing my choice of the Sony. I forgot to mention that one of its attractions for me is the choice of European language dictionaries. Just double-tapping on a word, to look it up, is very appealing.
I have previously owned two Sonys and they were solid and reliable.

Ironically, the touch-screen feature you are attracted to is one of the main things which put me off the latest Sonys - I am not a great fan of touch-screens.

I have a friend who has a degenerative eye condition and she has stuck with a 505 to date because of its screen quality. She does now lust after my Kindle 3 because of the Pearl screen's extra contrast, and from what I have seen in the store the 650 touch-screen Pearl is as good in that regard.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Your list of requirements (and non-requirements) and location does seem to point to the 650.

I have never owned or used a Kindle, so I can't comment on them, but I would say that you shouldn't be tempted to economise and buy a Sony 600 instead. I have both and you really wouldn't be happy with the screen.

I think fjtorres point about pdf's is pretty valid as well. You mention 'documents' - if these are pdf's, and you're going to be reading them a lot, then you should probably take a close look at the 650 before buying to make sure it handles them to your satisfaction.

Just my 2 pence worth - hope it's of use.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
@ fjtorres
Many thanks for your input. I wasn't aware of the Pocketbook 902. I have just watched the YouTube video and read the WikipediA page. First impressions are that it would be too big. It seems to be a tablet rather than just an ebook reader, or have I got that wrong? It seems closer to A4 than a paperback, in size - not quite what I had in mind. Nevertheless, the video and the fact that WikipediA mentions Linux has certainly aroused my curiosity, so I would like to know more about it. The specification seems to be a bit vague. Who makes it and where are they based? Will it be available in Europe? If so, when and how much?
There is an entire Forum devoted to the Pocketbook line (they make 5in, 6in, and 9.7in readers). The 902 is brand new and is on preorder starting this week. They have strong european presence, especially in Germany. (They have a very active german forum here.) Several models are significantly cheaper than Sony's but not as cheap as the Kindle 3. (Which, by the way, is as solidly built as anything by Sony so you need not worry about that. And the keyboard is just a thin membrane; both robust and minimally obtrussive.)

Size of the 902 is about the size of a hardcover: 195x265x11 mm with a screen sized at 140x203 mm.

http://www.pocketgoods.de/index.php?...098j4b18eivrkc

If you really intend to read a lot of pdf documents (remember, pdf is not a proper ebook format, but rather an electronic paper format) be aware that no brand or model of 6in reader does a very good job with pdfs; the best are merely tolerable. Realistically, pdfs require a full PC with a color screen to be reliably rendered to best effect.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-06-2010 at 08:15 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:46 AM   #12
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Edited by boxcorner

Old 10-07-2010, 04:59 AM   #13
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Edited by boxcorner

Old 10-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #14
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Edited by boxcorner

Last edited by boxcorner; 10-26-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:32 AM   #15
church mouse
Evangelist

Quote:
@ church mouse
Interesting that you think the 650's screen contrast is as good as the Kindle 3's, as some reviews I have read seem to suggest the Kindle 3's is slightly better.
My K3 screen quality may be better than the Sony 650 I saw, but the 650 seemed pretty good to me. They are close enough that small differences such as font type, and font size could push the verdict either way.

I do think the graphite surround of the K3 gives the impression of a whiter screen than is actually the case.