Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I think there could be legitimate uses for them -- putting a blank line between sections, for example.

But using them for every paragraph is just bloody stupid. As is using this type of coding instead of a proper style sheet -- it just makes the file bigger and more complicated without any reason behind it.
Even if you had a proper style sheet, the conversion to Mobipocket is not going to keep it. It will convert it to code for every paragraph.

This is why we need to get rid of formats that lose the CSS such as Mobipocket. And since eReader doesn't even start from HTML, it may as well go too.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #32
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Even if you had a proper style sheet, the conversion to Mobipocket is not going to keep it. It will convert it to code for every paragraph.
That hasn't been my experience. When I convert using Mobipocket Creator, it keeps the style sheet in the .html file it creates exactly as it was in my original html. I tried it again just to be sure. Mobipocket Creator did not change my original style sheet at all, and the only tags around most paragraphs are <p> and </p>.

Last edited by whitearrow; 04-25-2009 at 04:49 PM.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That hasn't been my experience. When I convert using Mobipocket Creator, it keeps the style sheet in the .html file it creates exactly as it was in my original html. I tried it again just to be sure. Mobipocket Creator did not change my original style sheet at all, and the only tags around most paragraphs are <p> and </p>.
I've just taken an ePub with a proper CSS and run it through Mobigen. I then used mobi2oeb, and mobi2html to extract the HTML and the RAW HTML and I got the mess you normally get with Mobipocket's HTML. Not even close to getting the CSS back that I started with.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #34
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
We're getting different results, then. As long as I start with html (not .doc or anything else) Mobicreator is not changing the html at all on the files I run through it.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
We're getting different results, then. As long as I start with html (not .doc or anything else) Mobicreator is not changing the html at all on the files I run through it.
Mobipocket Creator does not change the source HTML's files. What it changes is the HTML & CSS as it processes them. The internal HTML of the Mobipocket file is then a mess. So if you were to pull out the HTML from the Mobipocket file, you would no longer see your CSS and you would see each paragraph with code all over it.
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #36
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Quote:
-- The Mercy Thompson books by Patricia Briggs -- first book, Moon Called.
Just wanted to follow up... wrapped up that library book and returned it, wrapped up another Kindle sample (a long one) that is now on the "buy at some point" list, and started on the recommended book samples I'd downloaded. The one I'm quoting above had the word "Jetta" on the first page. Turns out the protagonist is a VW mechanic, and actually used the phrase "Vee-Dub".

I just happen to also be a VW owner and enthusiast ... and I enjoyed that sample quite a lot. I think that series is on my list now. I'll read a good book by someone who's shown proof of having a clue about VWs! And whose protagonist drives a Mk1 Golf diesel (Rabbit Diesel here in the US). Hardly fast, but a great car all the same.

I'll keep on reading all the samples, but I think that series will be the first to fall when I start paying for books.

Last edited by Buran; 05-06-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #37
Uriel
Uriel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Interesting. I purchased this last week and have been reading it in the Kindle app on the iPhone and I don't see any of the formatting problems, just the parts where there is text repeated. I don't have an actual Kindle yet as I'm still deciding between getting the K2 now or holding out for a DX this summer.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #38
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
I've seen the several-lines-between-paragraphs in a few of the ebooks I've purchased lately. Although it's not a huge deal, it gives the wrong emotional impact--kind of like ALL CAPS or putting an exclamation point after occasional lines! Actually, I thought it was the author being melodramatic--it's better to know it's just formatting. It hadn't occurred to me to complain or try downloading it again--I'll have to try that.
Rene
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:56 AM   #39
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I see the extra spaces between paragraphs on both my iTouch and Kindle. I downloaded the book the day it hit $9.99, maybe it's been fixed since then.

Mike
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #40
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I finally read mine a week or two ago for Sony, and aside from one or two small issues, it was very readable. No big gaps (saw a few spelling errors, and one part where part of a sentence was repeated). I bought this within the first two weeks it came out, LRX format.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:02 AM   #41
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
I just downloaded the Kindle version tonight. Over halfway through, and the only error mentioned I've seen was one duplicated line in the first paragraph of one chapter. No excess spacing, no other major errors so far. Sounds like they did at least one editing pass since this was first posted.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:06 AM   #42
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
I just downloaded the Kindle version tonight. Over halfway through, and the only error mentioned I've seen was one duplicated line in the first paragraph of one chapter. No excess spacing, no other major errors so far. Sounds like they did at least one editing pass since this was first posted.
I think that's the same thing I saw in my Sony version.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #43
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine is the in mobi format and I got it the first day it was out; I'll try downloading it again. I wish I could remember which other books I saw the extra lines in, so I could try downloading them again as well, but it's been awhile...I'm not even sure they were new releases.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #44
momghoti
Zealot

I did re-download Turn Coat and the formatting was fixed. Much nicer to read!!