Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 04-29-2023, 03:06 PM   #1
please55
Connoisseur
please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: none
Not able to connect to server via internet, works locally

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/server.html

I am using the above as a guide. I managed to connect to the server fine while on the local network. Can I assume if I got that to work then my port forwarding settings are okay?

I run into issues when I try to connect to the server via the "internet". I looked up what my IP is (I don't think its a static IP...which could be an issue) but I get nothing via this method.

Anything else to consider not mentioned in the guide?
please55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 03:29 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by please55 View Post
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/server.html

I am using the above as a guide. I managed to connect to the server fine while on the local network. Can I assume if I got that to work then my port forwarding settings are okay?
No. A connection on your local network would not use port forwarding unless you have a segmented local network which is highly unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by please55 View Post
I run into issues when I try to connect to the server via the "internet". I looked up what my IP is (I don't think its a static IP...which could be an issue) but I get nothing via this method.

Anything else to consider not mentioned in the guide?
So you have configured your router to forward data arriving on a specific port on your external ( WAN ) interface to your calibre server's internal address?

I.e. a Google search on whatsmyip shows 24.15.67.123 so you have set your router to forward port 8080 to the internal address of your calibre server and then tried connecting from outside your local network ( a cell phone with WiFi turned off is handy for this).

Does your ISP allow connections from the outside to inside? Locally, Telus for example does not allow you to run servers on a personal connection. You need to pony up the $$ for a business connection.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2023, 04:38 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Pay attention to Davids note of NOT using your (Same LAN) WiFi for testing and use you cell or a neighbors service (with permission).

Many ISP prohibit loopback (same IP) connections
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote