Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-15-2018, 01:02 PM   #106
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
Yes, Chareink is here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056

Beautiful font, I use it on both Kindle and Kobo.
The one small minor thing about ChareInk is the relatively strong weight. I am testing it right now. I like it a lot so far, but to look good it needs the boldness turned off to 0. Everything else I usually have at boldness 2, which makes CharInk a little bit too bold for me.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #107
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The one small minor thing about ChareInk is the relatively strong weight. I am testing it right now. I like it a lot so far, but to look good it needs the boldness turned off to 0. Everything else I usually have at boldness 2, which makes CharInk a little bit too bold for me.
That's easily solved. I believe Jon deliberately added extra weight to ChareInk. If you don't like that aspect try the original unedited Charis SIL font instead which is easily downloaded from the SIL website.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #108
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Never mind...

Last edited by tomsem; 06-18-2018 at 12:52 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:30 PM   #109
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Even with this update, if you want bolder fonts for KF8 format (those without support for ‘enhanced typography’ aka KFX), then it has to be baked in as with Jon’s ChareInk. Bold adjustment is only available for the latter. But at this point I’d say >90% of the new books support ET.
What are you talking about? Bold adjustment is perfectly available for sideloaded azw3 files. It's not available for the old mobi format, that's true.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #110
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Is it that the ChareInk NoWeight v1.1 has strong weight for you?
For me, those are not enough, so I use ChareInk v1.1 (not the no weight no hinting ones) and use boldness slider as well. My eyesight is giving up and these make it perfect for me without having to increase size too much.
Plus my eyes are sensitive so with bolder fonts I read on much lower light settings on all of my eink devices.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #111
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
What are you talking about? Bold adjustment is perfectly available for sideloaded azw3 files. It's not available for the old mobi format, that's true.
Yes, on my Kindles sideloaded fonts work both for sideloaded azw3 and kfx files.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:25 PM   #112
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Thanks to the kind folks posting where to get some fonts I was able to try it out on my Oasis2. I tried 4 different ones. Georgia, chareink, constantia and libertine. I used the weighted chareink first and it was too bold for my taste. I couldn't add the other chareink to it, I had to delete that one first for some reason. It would not show up until I did that.

They all look pretty nice as far as fonts go, but I ended up going back to bookerly. Bookerly has bigger letters. Not sure how to put that. They are taller at the same size. Again, not sure if I am explaining this well. But the words pop more. I read on #4 with it on the Oasis and the other fonts #4 didn't seem large enough, because of the fonts not being as tall, or whatever the term is. Maybe bookerly is more rounded? No, still not the right term. The other fonts don't work on 4 and 5 is too large and they still are "shorter".

I haven't tried them on the smaller Oasis or my Voyage yet as I haven't updated those. I think those fonts might work on there as on those devices 4 is a bit larger than the bigger Oasis. So I could get away with a more "shorter" font.

But again, overall they all look fine and it works well switching. Just like any other font.

I am just more happy with bookerly and its much more readable for me on the size I need. At least on the big Oasis. I'll test the other kindles this weekend.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:58 AM   #113
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
Is it that the ChareInk NoWeight v1.1 has strong weight for you?
For me, those are not enough, so I use ChareInk v1.1 (not the no weight no hinting ones) and use boldness slider as well. My eyesight is giving up and these make it perfect for me without having to increase size too much.
Plus my eyes are sensitive so with bolder fonts I read on much lower light settings on all of my eink devices.
I believe I am using the 1.1 without noweight. That looks fine to me at boldness 0.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #114
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
I believe I am using the 1.1 without noweight. That looks fine to me at boldness 0.
You can download Charis SIL Mali at http://software.sil.org/lcgfonts/download/

Look for "Modified Fonts for Special Uses". This variant gives a smaller line-height and is much thinner. I use it with boldness 2 and size 9.

Edit: Size 9 when using Font_Ramp, that is.

Last edited by trekk; 06-16-2018 at 08:19 AM.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
That's easily solved. I believe Jon deliberately added extra weight to ChareInk. If you don't like that aspect try the original unedited Charis SIL font instead which is easily downloaded from the SIL website.
I also posted a version of ChareInk that has no added weight so you can use the Kindle to add weight. It has all the changes except no added weight. So use that instead.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #116
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I also posted a version of ChareInk that has no added weight so you can use the Kindle to add weight.
I use this one on my Kobo. Wonderful work, Jon! But on my Oasis it is bolder than I like, even with boldness set to zero. Charis SIL Mali is slightly thinner, so it is easier for me to find a pleasant boldness setting.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #117
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
I like this set of Linux Libertine a lot:
https://www.dafont.com/linux-liberti...r+the+lazy+dog

It has many variants, accents, and ligatures.

Another nice one, Gentium :
https://www.dafont.com/gentium.font?...r+the+lazy+dog

Last edited by Pyjam; 06-16-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #118
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
So I put 4 fonts on my small Oasis and my Voyage and they work much better on those than my big Oasis. The sizing just fits better. Out of the ones I tried the Chareink and the Constantia are my favorites. I kind of like them and bookerly evenly so I might just switch depending on what I read.
Bookerly though seems to handle the word spreads by line better than the others. The space between the words that is. Didn't they perfect it for that? It doesn't have some of the larger gaps I get with the other fonts.

I used the no weight chareink as for me the bold options should almost always work. I get all my books from amazon basically and I think they are all azw by now. Constantia can get away with bold at #1, while I use #2 for bookerly and chareink.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #119
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Dejavu Serif Eink

I still really like Katsunami's Dejavu Serif Eink.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ghlight=dejavu
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:11 AM   #120
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
I still really like Katsunami's Dejavu Serif Eink.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ghlight=dejavu
I really like this font too. Prior to Amazon adding custom fonts to the Kindles, I was embedding it in all of my AZW files so I could use Dejavu Serif Eink as the publisher font.

Now I'm switching between it and Lexia Dama.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote