Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
firmware update through desktop - frozen

Just got my Aura today, set it up, got a firmware update through Kobo Desktop - and now it's frozen.

Can't even trigger a factory set.

Sometimes I get a short blink of the LED in white when triggering the power switch but that's it.

Any suggestions?
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Until someone with an Aura can post, you might check through this thread about the updating problems on the Glo and see if any of that helps you out. Post #38 on Page 3 gets into specifics how we got around the update just freezing.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=211454&page=3
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, but I think it's a different kind of problem.

My Aura isn't even recognized by my computer anymore.

Might be that I'll have to return it to the store...
Old 05-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
My initial setup of the Aura was kind of like that. Twice Kobo Desktop froze on me for 10 minutes at a time with nothing apparently happening and I ended up killing it with the task manager and disconnecting the Aura. The 2nd time the Aura sat frozen for several minutes after disconnecting, then it started up with version 2.4.x firmware. I connected it again, and Kobo Desktop froze again. So I tried loading a few books onto it with Calibre. After disconnecting it was stuck on "Processing content" for more than 10 minutes, then it came up with firmware version 2.5.1 and no books. I connected it to the computer one more time and then just disconnected it. This time it processed the books that were already sitting in the root directory.

Not the most friendly setup procedure. If I had to guess, I would say that it's a combination of two things:

1. The Kobo servers are running very slow.

2. The Kobo Desktop software is terrible at showing status information when it's initializing a new unit.

Last edited by FJames; 05-03-2013 at 06:53 PM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Jaden
Evangelist

It's still frozen at "Restarting" so that's not the problem.

Something went wrong, much like the buggy Touch firmware some months ago.

The update downloaded fine. The update process started and went through and than "Restarting" appeared and the Aura froze. Connecting it to the computer doesn't do anything - nothing I do does anything.

I'll give the shop a call tomorrow and see if I can exchange it (probably next week since it was the last Aura in Espresso).

Maybe someone has an idea what I could still try but it might just be a buggy unit (since no one else seems to have similar problems...).
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Just got my Aura today, set it up, got a firmware update through Kobo Desktop - and now it's frozen.

Can't even trigger a factory set.

Sometimes I get a short blink of the LED in white when triggering the power switch but that's it.

Any suggestions?
I don't know for sure if this will work, but have you tried doing a reset using a paperclip (insert it into the tiny hole in the tiny hole on the right hand side on the bottom side of the Aura - if you don't have a paperclip, try an earring post instead...that worked for me on my Kobo Glo, when it froze downloading the most recent FW update) I got my Aura on 30 April and had no problems setting it up over WiFi. It updated twice and I had to key in my WiFi password twice, the whole setup was problem free and it has been running like a dream since then. If you have access to WiFi, perhaps try setting it up via that method instead of the Desktop. Afterthought...have you installed the most recent version of the Desktop, it was updated just before the Aura was announced.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

PS, I am sorry that I cannot offer more helpful suggestions. Hopefully, others who know a lot more about solving setup problems than I do, will post their suggestions. I really hope you get everything sorted so you can enjoy your new Aura

Hurdy, gurdy goo.....one of these days I will astonish myself....and all of you.....by managing to edit a post and have it apppear in it's proper place and not as a separate post . It's been a long week and I am suffering from brain freeze. Yippee, it's a Bank Holiday weekend here, off work until Tuesday

Last edited by Breid; 05-03-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Jaden
Evangelist

Yes, I've tried every possible methods of reset (that I know of and that Kobo suggested). But no reaction at all, neither to the pinhole reset (plugged in or unplugged) nor to the forced factory reset.

It's a beautiful brick.

Since there's only the black "Restarting" screen there's no way to try WiFi or anything else.

There's no LED when plugging the Kobo in either. No change on the screen, no trying to connect to my computer... I guess the update bricked my brand new Aura for good.

But hey, I got so see some "Update" and "Connected" and "Restarting" screens in high resolution - and a very boring completely black "Powered Off" screen (wonder why they ditched the smiling and sleeping Kobo).

Last edited by Jaden; 05-03-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Yes, I've tried every possible methods of reset (that I know of and that Kobo suggested). But no reaction at all, neither to the pinhole reset (plugged in or unplugged) nor to the forced factory reset.

It's a beautiful brick.

Since there's only the black "Restarting" screen there's no way to try WiFi or anything else.

There's no LED when plugging the Kobo in either. No change on the screen, no trying to connect to my computer... I guess the update bricked my brand new Aura for good.

But hey, I got so see some "Update" and "Connected" and "Restarting" screens in high resolution - and a very boring completely black "Powered Off" screen (wonder why they ditched the smiling and sleeping Kobo).

Many people recommend first charging (even if your battery was full at the beginning of the ordeal, it might not be now.)

Then turn it off (it may seem off but not be) by holding the slider for 10 (or was it 20) seconds. Then try pressing the light button and holding the slider on until you get an LED light. If this doesn't work first time, rinse and repeat.

This is from memory and may not be helpful....but someone out there who knows all the tricks will probably now reply and give you an in depth list of ways to get your AURA working again.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
Jaden
Evangelist

Well, I charged the Aura for about 3 hours or so before attempting the update (just bought it yesterday).

Anyway I've plugged it in and will let it charge sometime longer - if it does charge because there's no LED indicating anything.

What you suggested (holding etc.) is what Kobo suggested as well but it didn't work. Maybe after charging some more...

Hopefully I don't sound ungrateful or something - I really appreciate that all of you are trying to help me. I'm just really frustrated.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
Breid
Zealot

Quote:
Well, I charged the Aura for about 3 hours or so before attempting the update (just bought it yesterday).

Anyway I've plugged it in and will let it charge sometime longer - if it does charge because there's no LED indicating anything.

What you suggested (holding etc.) is what Kobo suggested as well but it didn't work. Maybe after charging some more...

Hopefully I don't sound ungrateful or something - I really appreciate that all of you are trying to help me. I'm just really frustrated.
You don't sound ungrateful at all. You sound remarkably patient considering the really bad experience you have had.
I really feel for you, I can imagine how frustrated and disappointed you are. If you have tried everything that Kobo has suggested to no avail, perhaps you were unlucky and received a faulty unit and you should return it for a replacement.

Last edited by Breid; 05-03-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Surprise, surprise, typo!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Have you tired the force shutdown? As in "hold power slider down for more than 10 seconds"? I see you've already tried to force a factory reset: the last time I did that (Glo update got stuck), I had to keep it down quite a while before it did so. It was off the charger at the time.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
Jaden
Evangelist

Yes, I've tried to hold buttons (one at a time or both) in several ways and combinations for several length of times. The only reaction I ever got was a single flash in white. And I can't even say when or why that flash happened since I can't reproduce it.

I've phoned the store this morning and they ordered a new Auro for me from their main store which should arrive on Monday.

The only reason I'm that patient is because I know I will get a replacement - and because I still have my Touch (which I'm going to keep anyway since it's more portable than the Aura and has worked like a charm since I've bought it).

On the plus side I will not be distracted from my studies this weekend and will treat myself to some nice food I can only buy downtown on Monday.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #14
mwsabyasachi
mwsabyasachi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Same Freeze-n-restart but on my new Kobo Aura HD

I just got myself a new aura HD. After the initial setup was complete, i saw window saying 'upgrading firmware'. afterwards it would not start, just restart and freezing. i guess its a bug, similar to your aura.
mwsabyasachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #15
omnimodis78
Enthusiast
omnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Many people recommend first charging (even if your battery was full at the beginning of the ordeal, it might not be now.)

Then turn it off (it may seem off but not be) by holding the slider for 10 (or was it 20) seconds. Then try pressing the light button and holding the slider on until you get an LED light. If this doesn't work first time, rinse and repeat.

This is from memory and may not be helpful....but someone out there who knows all the tricks will probably now reply and give you an in depth list of ways to get your AURA working again.
You just saved me from a disaster! Nothing helped - nothing! Until I read your comment. My Aura HD acted like a real good brick after I was stupid enough to try updating it through Kobo Desktop. Did everything right, but after it updated, the screen turned black and it just sat there for about 15 minutes (I knew not to touch it) until it was clear that something was wrong. Anyways, using the light and powerslider does reset it, even when the pinhole reset does nothing (I always thought the pinhole resets were foolproof last-resort-but-guaranteed-to-reset solution... Yikes! THANK YOU!
omnimodis78 is offline   Reply With Quote