Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #286
NuPogodi
Connoisseur
NuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3, Tolino Shine, Kobo Glo
Thanks a lot for excellent release. One remark: it's quite common to pack fb2-files. I've just a bit modified your lua-scripts and found out that just simple adding one more extention file_type == "zip" in filechooser.lua and reader.lua does allow to open zipped fb2 in kindlepfdviewer. Awesome!
BTW, crengine supports mobi as well.

Could you, please, give a tip how could i change default font for crengine to display main text?

[EDIT] It might also be useful to add a possibility to delete files / folders and to make new folders like
Quote:
Originally Posted by filechooser.lua
function FileChooser:choose(ypos, height)
elseif ev.code == KEY_DEL then
local newdir = self.dirs[perpage*(self.page-1)+self.current]
if newdir ~= ".." then
answer = InputBox:input(height-100, 100, "Delete (y/n)?")
if answer == "y" then
if newdir then
-- delete directory under cursor
os.remove(self.path.."/"..newdir)
self:setPath(self.path)
else
-- delete file under cursor
os.remove(self.path.."/"..self.files[perpage*(self.page-1)+self.current - #self.dirs])
end
end
end
pagedirty = true
elseif ev.code == KEY_M then
dir = InputBox:input(height-100, 100, "Make New Dir:")
if dir then
return nil, function()
os.execute("mkdir "..self.path.."/"..dir)
pagedirty = true
end
end
pagedirty = true
elseif ev.code == KEY_BACK or ev.code == KEY_HOME then
return nil

Last edited by NuPogodi; 04-20-2012 at 02:30 AM.
NuPogodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #287
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Hmm. Installed, got into the reader with no problem, but couldn't get out. Launchpad key codes wouldn't work while in PDFReader. I could not get screen rotation, could get expand and shrink. I tried twice, both times had to do a hard restart to get back to Kindle.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #288
daksha
daksha began at the beginning.

Device: dxg
Thumbs up so far so good

I don't have any issues with the April version, but one annoying thing is that in pdf landscape, the scroll is just in small amount instead of scrolling the rest of page like in kindle. It's still a pain to read in landscape. I have a DXG by the way.
Thanks.
daksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #289
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
NewPogodi: I think we could realize something like that soon. I'd like to clean up the UI code, so it will probably be a bit different when it hits the repository.

montalex: no, launchpad doesn't work within the app (for now). Did you press HOME? Are you running it on your K3? How did you start it, using Shift-P-D?

daksha: the amount of panning will probably be more configurable in the future.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #290
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:

montalex: no, launchpad doesn't work within the app (for now). Did you press HOME? Are you running it on your K3? How did you start it, using Shift-P-D?
HOME from HOME works brilliantly. Thanks. I'll explore further.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #291
melib
melib began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
kindlepdfviewer is great. I use it everyday.

and I have one request:
Could you add "page number (eg. number of current page/total page)" in 'goto' screen?
because sometime I want to skip to next 10 pages. but I don't know current page number so I have to press 'menu' to see current page number and then press 'g'.

thank
melib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:08 AM   #292
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by melib View Post
kindlepdfviewer is great. I use it everyday.

and I have one request:
Could you add "page number (eg. number of current page/total page)" in 'goto' screen?
because sometime I want to skip to next 10 pages. but I don't know current page number so I have to press 'menu' to see current page number and then press 'g'.

thank
Thanks for the idea

Added in the latest code, you will be able to try it in next release.
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #293
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuPogodi View Post
Thanks a lot for excellent release. One remark: it's quite common to pack fb2-files. I've just a bit modified your lua-scripts and found out that just simple adding one more extention file_type == "zip" in filechooser.lua and reader.lua does allow to open zipped fb2 in kindlepfdviewer. Awesome!
Oh, thanks for pointing out this, that's a surprise Will be added in next release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuPogodi View Post
Could you, please, give a tip how could i change default font for crengine to display main text?
The default font is hard coded for now. You can change it by editing crereader.lua. On this line:
https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfvie...reader.lua#L54

It will be better to add a configurable entry in .reader.kpfview.lua though, feel free to hack on it and send us the patch
Old 04-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #294
valex
Enthusiast
valex began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
First of all thank you for the great software!

I have a semi-automated process to convert all my e-books to pdf (formatted to fit Kindle's screen size so that scaling is not required). This way I can have all the typographical niceties (my process is LaTeX-based) of printed books. I have always been irritated at Amazon's pdf viewer for its inability to turn off margins and the stupid progress bar occupying precious screen's real estate. Now I use kindlepdfviewer 100% of the time.

The only feature I miss sometimes is an ability to quickly look up a word in a dictionary. The Kindle's pdf reader shows a pop-up with short translation for a word next to its cursor and pressing "enter" button switches to the full dictionary. Would it be possible to add similar functionality to the kindlepdfviewer? The pop-up is not necessary, just showing the word in the dictionary and switching back to the book would be sufficient. I heard Duokan has something like that but it uses dictionaries in different format.

Alex
valex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #295
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by valex View Post
First of all thank you for the great software!

I have a semi-automated process to convert all my e-books to pdf (formatted to fit Kindle's screen size so that scaling is not required). This way I can have all the typographical niceties (my process is LaTeX-based) of printed books. I have always been irritated at Amazon's pdf viewer for its inability to turn off margins and the stupid progress bar occupying precious screen's real estate. Now I use kindlepdfviewer 100% of the time.

The only feature I miss sometimes is an ability to quickly look up a word in a dictionary. The Kindle's pdf reader shows a pop-up with short translation for a word next to its cursor and pressing "enter" button switches to the full dictionary. Would it be possible to add similar functionality to the kindlepdfviewer? The pop-up is not necessary, just showing the word in the dictionary and switching back to the book would be sufficient. I heard Duokan has something like that but it uses dictionaries in different format.

Alex
Crengine has dictionary look up feature, and we can now extract words from a pdf page (that's how we have highlight). So yes, dictionary look up feature is just out there, we just need time to combine these two
Old 04-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #296
citron
citron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
dict

If you start working on Dictionary implementation please consider to use some open source dictionary solution such as Stardict or other which have multiple language dictionaries available for download...

Thanks
citron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #297
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by citron View Post
If you start working on Dictionary implementation please consider to use some open source dictionary solution such as Stardict or other which have multiple language dictionaries available for download...

Thanks
OK

If I remember correctly, crengine supports startdict format.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:32 AM   #298
swrd
swrd began at the beginning.

Device: kinde DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
Rebooting framework is just a software restart, since the framework is just a software running on Kindle, like kpdfview. While the "Wait a moment while your kindle starts up" reboot is a real reboot, not just software, but the whole system.

Just added it manually But I guess it won't help in current release, try this when you get the release "2012.04".
Thanks a lot.
swrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:43 AM   #299
swrd
swrd began at the beginning.

Device: kinde DXG
Great job for the April version,thanks for the development team.

Wow,it's pretty Creative of some feature such as "shift+PK"loading,the "H"elp calling,and the build-in screensaver which i consider as"freeze"as first.

However,I got some trouble with Chinese characters on this version.

All the file name is ok(in good Chinese characters) in filechooser after
pressing "F" and choose "MHeiM18030_E.ttf" for Simplified Chinese or "MHeiM-BIG5HKSCS_E.ttf" for traditionalChinese.

well,My kindle dxg( with 3.21 software) got what the picture shown below in:

1.ALL the RTF format( in both Simplified Chinese and traditionalChinese)

2.almost CHM fomat with the exception of some CHM creatd in UTF-8 (in both Simplified Chinese and traditionalChinese)

3.some TXT and epub at first opening (then I try "ALT+F" twice,and the characters turn ok ,it work !)

Although I press the "F" and choose "MHeiM18030_E.ttf" or MHeiM-BIG5HKSCS_E.ttf,but nothing works,the display is all the same after
screen flash.

In addition,ALL the format is ok in english characters ,except for DOC and mobi .The filechooser can't find them in mnt/us/documents in which some mobis and DOCs is right there.

BTW:
1. I got no font hack on my kindle dxg.
2. I choose ~ changeLocale zh-CN.utf8~ in debug mode.

swrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #300
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
wow, congratulations to all those who contributed.

Another feature request from me: (please do not misunderstand, it is already great as it is)

If you can extract words from pdfs now, can you make "pdf reflow" like duokan? That is the only feature missing in the pdf viewer in my opinion.

Thanks again.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote