Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #211
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
nomnom: I've added a description to the OP. So you need to install launchpad, then follow the procedure as outlined.

BTW: Next release will be nice: CREngine is integrated, so expect upcoming support for EPUB, FB2, HTML, CHM, ... - it's working quite well!
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #212
bloor
bloor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG 3.2.1
Very nice! I have fat chm textbooks waiting
bloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 02:07 AM   #213
nomnom
nomnom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
nomnom: I've added a description to the OP. So you need to install launchpad, then follow the procedure as outlined.

BTW: Next release will be nice: CREngine is integrated, so expect upcoming support for EPUB, FB2, HTML, CHM, ... - it's working quite well!
Thanks a lot! Is the procedure same while updating to a newer version?
nomnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #214
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnom View Post
Thanks a lot! Is the procedure same while updating to a newer version?
Yes.

Or you can simply copy the new files to relevant directories to overwrite the original files. But I don't recommend this approach.
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #215
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
I loaded this on my Kindle DXG last night.

It looks good.

I did have one issue, I have auto rotate turned on and when I turned the kindle
the screen got scrambled, upon turning it back upright it remained scrambled.
I had to power down and back up to get it to restore to a normal screen.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #216
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
I loaded this on my Kindle DXG last night.

It looks good.

I did have one issue, I have auto rotate turned on and when I turned the kindle
the screen got scrambled, upon turning it back upright it remained scrambled.
I had to power down and back up to get it to restore to a normal screen.

Hi harry, just don't turn on auto rotate when you go into kindlepdfviewer, because it is not supported yet. The latest released version (Release 2012.03) even does not supports screen saver.

We are working on the screen saver issue, it's all most finished. ;P
Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #217
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
Hi harry, just don't turn on auto rotate when you go into kindlepdfviewer, because it is not supported yet. The latest released version (Release 2012.03) even does not supports screen saver.

We are working on the screen saver issue, it's all most finished. ;P

I figured that the auto rotation was not supported yet,
but figured it was worth reporting just in case.

Overall the reader looked pretty good, and it
appeared to be much quicker in page turning etc

Now if I can only remember all the shortcuts.
(any chance of a menu or popup with the shortcuts listed?)

I appreciate the hard work of those with far more talent than I.

Thank you

Last edited by Harry_Y; 04-10-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #218
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
I guess the listings of all the shortcuts relevant for each format will be provided in the next version (can be fired up by pressing 'H' in an open book).

Last edited by eLiNK; 04-10-2012 at 10:03 AM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #219
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
I figured that the auto rotation was not supported yet,
but figured it was worth reporting just in case.

Overall the reader looked pretty good, and it
appeared to be much quicker in page turning etc

I appreciate the hard work of those with far more talent than I.

Thank you
See, thanks for the report

In fact, traycold has added a help page long time ago (just after the Release 2012.03). But the developers are so busy at adding new features that they don't even have time to stop and stabilize all these features ;P

You can refer to the download page for all these changes. But I guess the new release should be near. it seems that except for the highlight support, no major new feature is still under development.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #220
Harry_Y
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
See, thanks for the report

In fact, traycold has added a help page long time ago (just after the Release 2012.03). But the developers are so busy at adding new features that they don't even have time to stop and stabilize all these features ;P

You can refer to the download page for all these changes. But I guess the new release should be near. it seems that except for the highlight support, no major new feature is still under development.

I bought the DXG primarily to read pdf files, I looked at putting the
Kindle 3.x firmware on the DXG but all I really wanted was better PDF
support so this gives me what I want without loosing anything else.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #221
alban
Enthusiast
alban began at the beginning.

Just to say Thanks

Heh Guys great work. Thanks.
The simple installation guide was a great help - got it working fine - much better than the native handling of pdf.
Just a couple of things:
How do you uninstall?
How to get rid of the list of folders that show up (but that don't contain pdfs) that appear in the list of docs pdfreader opens to (sorry, not very clear!)?
alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #222
vmonkey
vmonkey began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alban View Post
How do you uninstall?
Just delete the kindlepdfviewer folder in your Kindle home folder. And also kpdf.sh and kpdf.ini files placed in your launchpad folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alban View Post
How to get rid of the list of folders that show up (but that don't contain pdfs) that appear in the list of docs pdfreader opens to (sorry, not very clear!)?
By default you see a list of files/folders in Kindle's /mnt/us/documents folder (or simply documents folder when you connect Kindle to PC). You may move/delete/create files/folders as you like on your PC.

Last edited by vmonkey; 04-12-2012 at 09:24 AM.
vmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #223
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi alban, thanks for the friendly feedback!
I'll add uninstalling notice to the OP in a short moment.

As for "empty" folders showing up: There's no method yet, inspecting every folder before displaying it is most probably too expensive in terms of computing (we would effectively have to scan all the subfolders). I guess the easiest would be to create a dedicated folder for documents you want to read with this viewer and point the path in kpdf.ini (in the launchpad folder) to it. So the solution I'm suggesting here is to change the folder that gets displayed by default. In the original version, that's always the /mnt/us/documents folder (or simply "documents" in USB drive mode) to ease the transition from the native viewer.

Edit: thanks vmonkey, you beat me to it :-)

Last edited by hawhill; 04-12-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #224
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I was enjoying this, until it froze my Kindle. I was in PDF Reader in 90 degree rotation, when it went into standby. The even the screen saver was a blur of lines, and there was no way to go into Kindle without a hard restart.

Actually, I was able to enter PDF reader by re-entering Shift-P-D, but I could not get back to Kindle from there.

Still, much great work here.

Thanks.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #225
hawhill
Wizard

I think the amazon framework really gets irritated under some circumstances. The next release will be more stable in that regard, but I managed to bring it to show similar symptoms you describe. However, restarting the framework worked well for me. So for those cases when the amazon framework gets messed up we might just add a launchpad keyboard shortcut for a framework restart (/etc/init.d/framework restart).