Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #196
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdp View Post
Unfortunately, reducing the muPDF's cache to 32MB, doesn't seem to help - it just delays the reboot somewhat. Because the pattern is identical for DJVU and PDF I suspect that muPDF's caching is not the (only) reason. I wonder why you are not seeing the same on K3 however- that's strange... Did you try to open a PDF or DJVU and monitor the memory usage with 'top'. Also I tend to zoom in and use this special mode(FW down and then navigating using FW). It seems to me that while in this mode it takes even less page turns to reboot. I haven't tested it comprehensively though...
Try reduce the cache for mupdf to 6M and watch the memory usage. Also have you tried setting the cache for kindlepdfviewer?

K3 has double memory compared to DXG, so the memory is enough for viewing heavy image files. With one of the heavy image pdf file eLiNK sent me, it takes about 26% of my memory. After set the cache of MuPDF to 6MB, it has a memory usage of 10% on average and 20% as peak.

Some DJVU files might consume lots of memory too, but I don't have that kind of files for testing. The djvu files on my hands only consumes 8% on average. The cache size for djvu files can also be controlled, I just opened an issue on the issue tracker.
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:25 AM   #197
isrealjb
isrealjb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
is this compatible with the KT?
isrealjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 02:57 AM   #198
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
Try reduce the cache for mupdf to 6M and watch the memory usage. Also have you tried setting the cache for kindlepdfviewer? ...
actually, the version 'b4bf2e5' is a big step forward.
I have not experienced a reboot yet.
Thanks guys.

What I observed was some sporadic hangups on quite normal files.
But it might have something to do with the auto-rotation feature of the kindle.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:04 AM   #199
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrealjb View Post
is this compatible with the KT?
Sorry, it is not. None of the current developers has a KT and K4
Old 04-01-2012, 03:09 AM   #200
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
Thanks guys.
Good to hear that, though I complete forget what we added in version`b4bf2e5`. ;P

EDIT: aha, I just found out that it is the latest built by dpavlin . please tell us if you find any bug in the highlight support.

Quote:
What I observed was some sporadic hangups on quite normal files.
But it might have something to do with the auto-rotation feature of the kindle.
Could you please describe the hangups in detail? The auto-rotation should just mess up the screen.

Last edited by dave2008; 04-01-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #201
kinkle
Connoisseur
kinkle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3 3g and KT 3G
I intend to buy a livescribe smartpen who convert notes +sound in pdf 10. Do you know if are a way to load the pdf files from smartpen to kindle 3 and synchronized with sound?
kinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #202
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Well, this reader doesn't support sound (yet). It should read PDF just fine. However, I think "loading" documents from one to the other will probably need an intermediate step on a PC, possibly handling protocols and format conversions.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #203
vmonkey
vmonkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Thanks guys.
Well done, guys! Finally possible to open all my school presentations. Even though there is always plenty of work to be done, this app tends to be a must-have for my Kindle.
vmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #204
vmonkey

I just found an interesting project on the web.... Moreover, there is a reversed-ingeneered specification of PDR file-format, which means it might be possible to synchronize notes/highlights/last page read/etc. between KPDF reader and the default kindle reader.
I know that there is other work to be done, just i found it useful.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:47 AM   #205
SP777
SP777 began at the beginning.

Device: K3 3G
Thanks guys for developing such a good reader!

My 2 cents.
- It would be great to have scrollbars in a zoomed view to see the current position on a page (like in a native viewer).
- In a zoom-to-content (and 2-column) view, some margings at the screen edges should be kept (say 5 or 10 pixels, better adjustable) for more confortable reading.
- When panning in a zoomed view, some overlap (say 10% of adjustable) with the previous position may also be helpful.

vmonkey, that project seems to be dead.
I tried to use it, but the results are poor.
However it is at least a try to get kindle annotations back to the pdf.

And that would be a great feature for kindlepdfviewer to make text annotations and highlighting and save them directly into pdf so that they can be viewed on a pc.
SP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #206
vmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP777 View Post
vmonkey, that project seems to be dead.
I tried to use it, but the results are poor.
However it is at least a try to get kindle annotations back to the pdf.

And that would be a great feature for kindlepdfviewer to make text annotations and highlighting and save them directly into pdf so that they can be viewed on a pc.
Apologize for not testing the project. I just meant that having a feature to view your highlights, notes and mainly the last position from the default PDF viewer would be a great feature, therefore I mentioned the PDR filetype specification. However, printing it directly to the PDF would be a problem, because it would be hard (or even impossible) not only to delete/change the text, but also sometimes unwanted.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #207
SP777
SP777 began at the beginning.

Device: K3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmonkey View Post
However, printing it directly to the PDF would be a problem, because it would be hard (or even impossible) not only to delete/change the text, but also sometimes unwanted.
I don't mean altering the main pdf text, but use the standard pdf annotation tools, which add markup over the original pdf. These annotations can be edited or deleted at any time.
SP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #208
dave2008
Addict

AFAIK, PDR is a proprietary format designed by Amazon?

Different pdf viewers might have their own approach to display highlight and annotations. But as long as kindlepdfviewer's highlight format is open, we can always convert it to other formats
Old 04-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #209
vmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
AFAIK, PDR is a proprietary format designed by Amazon?

Different pdf viewers might have their own approach to display highlight and annotations. But as long as kindlepdfviewer's highlight format is open, we can always convert it to other formats
Yeah, it is a proprietary file format. PDR file is a file, which is stored in the same folder as PDF file and with the same name except of the filetype.

And here is how it could possibly be used:

1) For the last-page-read.
You add a PDF document to Kindle and the Kindle framework automatically creates a PDR file for each newly-added PDF. You read eg. 5 pages in the default reader and then quit it. After opening KPDF, it reads the last-page-number from the PDR file (it seems that it is the 9th bite+1), because there is no *.kpdfview file. After reading few pages in KPDF and quitting it, KPDF should export the last-page number not only to *.kpdfview, but also to *.pdr. Then again, open that book in the built-in viewer, read few pages and go back to the KPDF. Now, KPDF should check, that the two last-page numbers differ (because you just read the book in the build in viewer) and use the one from PDR.

2) Highlights, comments and bookmarks.
It may be also possible to read all these information from the PDR file, however, I am not so sure about current implementation of all these in the current version of KPDF. When it's ready, then we should consider thinking about supporting Kindle bookmarks, highlights and comments from PDR.

PS: Consider all these information as notes or feature request with low priority, because it is not the main point of developing KPDF.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #210
nomnom
nomnom began at the beginning.

I would really like to implement this on my Kindle, however as a complete programming noob, I couldn't really follow the conversation here to go about doing so. Can someone please provide easy instructions for installing this on my K3? I have a jailbroken Kindle. Thank you, from me and many other technologically handicapped Kindle users!
nomnom is offline   Reply With Quote