Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 05:22 AM   #1
LadyLou
Enthusiast
LadyLou doesn't litterLadyLou doesn't litter

Device: Sony Touch
I should know this by now!!

Number one; Where do I find the 'database' as against the books showing in my library (calibre) I get a message that 'this title is in the database already do I want to add the book anyway) I have never worked this one out

Secondly, in Author list some on my authors are seperated I have tried fixing this by copy and pasting their names so that they are exactly the same (even though they look it already) This worked in a couple of cases but most are still seperated, and can I use a first (given) name order or surname order?

I have Barack Obama above Douglas Adams: Piers Anthony above Alex Archer etc.!

Many thanks in advance

Last edited by LadyLou; 09-07-2011 at 05:27 AM.
LadyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
LadyLou
Enthusiast

OK guys, panic over, I found an old thread for the author thingy and am now going to labouriously change those at fault in the metadata.

Still like to know where the database is though!
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
If you run "welcome wizard" under preferences. It will display the current location of the library.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
The database file is called metadata.db and is found in the same directory as the one containing all the books. It's at the top level i.e. the one which contains all the authorname sub-directories
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
The quick way is to highlight all the books by an author and select Edit MetaData by Bulk. Go to the author field and start typing in, it should show choices based on author names already in the database. Pick the one that is the way you want. Check the box to automatically set Author Sort and let it rip.

It will change all the author names to exactly the same and the author sort also.

A typical issue I would have is J.A. Jance, it would show up as JA Jance, J.A. Jance, J. A. Jance. This quickly gets them all in the same format.

Individual books (one book by an author) you have to do by hand.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
LadyLou
Enthusiast

Thanks guys, done the author thing, learnt from i tunes that I have to be precise. Had the devils' own job with Virginia Andrews and all the combinations for that!!

Whilst here, is there a quick way to sort tags, in that some are 'my' reads, some are other people in the household etc. it would be nice to pull up just mine.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
you can always type something like tags:"tagvalue" in the search field to restrict the books with a tag matching 'tagvalue'. If you want to do this often you can save the search for later re-use.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLou View Post
Whilst here, is there a quick way to sort tags, in that some are 'my' reads, some are other people in the household etc. it would be nice to pull up just mine.
You can add tags for each user, but to avoid these tags being used as collections on your reader place them in brackets. Example, use [LadyLou] as a tag and you can search or restrict your calibre library using this tag but it will not be used to create a collection on your Sony reader.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #9
LadyLou
Enthusiast

Thank you all so much, I have a 'simple senior' mind so step by step help is really appreciated. Working my way through my library now using all the info given.