Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Slowing down an epub

I've been happily championing calibre for a bit now, and still do (Hi Kovid & team - thanks again!), particularly over InDesign (bleah). I've been using it to roll out books of books for my own purposes, large-scale complete collections of authors, like our old friend Henry James [ http://home.comcast.net/~brewt.black...y%20James.epub ] or Jane Austen [ http://home.comcast.net/~brewt.black...%20Austen.epub ] or, well, anyway. (And yes, I'm seeing I need to do some touch-up on them)

I've been noticing, though, of late, that some of my books take waaaay too long to open on my Sony Reader. Seems to work fine on the desktop, in ADE and Calibre. In some cases, the book won't open before the Reader goes to sleep. Gotta crash the damn thing out, in some cases; been hitting my head against the wall for months on this. But I think I found something.

In Calibre, when setting up the metadata for a book, there is a "Comments" window, that I have been getting carried away with filling in. No, I don't put the whole book there, but, it turns out, there's a lot you can say about a book: comments, reviews, my rather enormous table of contents in some cases, blah blah blah, and I can't even see this information on my PRS350 - at least, I don't know how to see it.

Would there maybe be an undocumented limitation as to how much content can go in there before a Reader barfs? Or maybe a character limitation (maybe like, don't use en-or-em-dashes?)? Because as soon as I cut down on this filler, it all opens lickety-split on my device...

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
SONY readers dont like long comments. Nobody knows exactly how long "long" is. What I would suggest you do is create a custom comments column and put your long comments into that, leave only a short description in the main comments column.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thinking about it a little, are the comments used anywhere on the reader? If not, I could just have calibre nuke them in the copy of the book sent to the reader.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thinking about it a little, are the comments used anywhere on the reader? If not, I could just have calibre nuke them in the copy of the book sent to the reader.
I don't see any on a 350, nor do I remember seeing any on the Bride's 700. Don't know about other devices; might it be a moble-ADE issue?
Old 09-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'll have next weeks' calibre release nuke the comments for SONY readers. If it causes any problems, I'm sure someone will complain.
Advert
Old 09-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer

Ah, thank you sir!
-b