Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Text missing and dictionary problems

I'm a new - and rather irritated - owner of brand new 350. It's a great little thing but I'm now at the end of my rope.
Book is from mobileread library - H. Beam Piper omnibus Terro-Human Future History. I didn't try other books. It was transferred to the reader first time with explorer copy/paste and second time with Calibre. Problems are manifesting on both occasions.
Problem 1 - when reading in S size parts of text are missing but can be seen in M or XS. I found some messages in the forum about this problem, but they are old and offer no help.
My guess - a problem with rendering pages when it comes to this particular size. Anyone familiar with this and can offer any kind of solution?
Problem 2 - some parts of text cannot be selected - to add a note or call a dictionary. This is consistent through all font sizes (or at least XS, S and M I tried).
Have no idea what can cause this. Opened epub in Sigil and looked and the code. Nothing to indicate reason for such behaviour.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Is this is the book you are referring to? If so then if you read the thread you will see that the uploader has acknowledged that there is a problem with the HTML coding in this epub. See posts #8 and #9

No guarantees, but if you are a Calibre user, you could try running an EPUB-->EPUB conversion to see if sorts out the problem.

Last edited by jackie_w; 06-27-2011 at 12:48 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Is this is the book you are referring to? If so then if you read the thread you will see that the uploader has acknowledged that there is a problem with the HTML coding in this epub. See posts #8 and #9
No guarantees, but if you are a Calibre user, you could try running an EPUB-->EPUB conversion to see if sorts out the problem.
Good idea. I"ll try it. But the coding seems ok, from what I have seen...

DrS
Old 06-28-2011, 02:26 AM   #4
Vesper
Addict

Well, I did epub to epub conversion and it didn't help. Is this book a lemon or can I look forward to such experiences again?

DrS
Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
Well, I did epub to epub conversion and it didn't help. Is this book a lemon or can I look forward to such experiences again?

DrS
Have sent you a PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Sounds like a problem with that particular book. Why don't you try some other books and see if you have problems with them as well?
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
Vesper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Sounds like a problem with that particular book. Why don't you try some other books and see if you have problems with them as well?
It turned out it was a problem with this book - some weirdness with tags that resulted in problems I've had. And that was the first book I wanted to read and got stumped right in the beginning. What and intro to epub...
Jackie sent me purified version that works like charm

DrS