Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
detacht69
Still Amazing-Only Better
detacht69 began at the beginning.

Device: New K3 Owner
Highlighting, Defining Words on K3 - Problem with

Hello, sorry if this has been posted before, but I wasn't quite sure what to search for..

While reading on my K3, I bring the cursor onto the page and when I try to define a word or highlight a passage, it seems to think the cursor is somewhere different than where I see the cursor. So far it's been in a pdf but I'm not sure if it does it on other formats.

So is this a known issue with known fixes or am I S.O.L.?

thanks.
detacht69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by detacht69 View Post
Hello, sorry if this has been posted before, but I wasn't quite sure what to search for..

While reading on my K3, I bring the cursor onto the page and when I try to define a word or highlight a passage, it seems to think the cursor is somewhere different than where I see the cursor. So far it's been in a pdf but I'm not sure if it does it on other formats.

So is this a known issue with known fixes or am I S.O.L.?

thanks.
I've seen that behavior on specific PDFs, but not more generally (certainly most PDFs and most or all Kindle formatted content work fine).

If the PDF was scanned in, and then OCRed, it is possible that the page image and associated text do not line up well since they are completely independent representations. OCR text placement can only be approximate, since there are no font metrics available in a rasterized image to work with. That may account for what you are seeing.

You might load that PDF into Adobe Reader (or other PDF tool) and see if you have any similar highlighting issues. Kindle uses Adobe's software to interpret PDFs so I would expect both to have similar characteristics/limitations.

And if the PDF is just a scanned image, without an OCR step, you can't search or highlight text at all.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-29-2010 at 07:52 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
I've seen that happen in poorly formated PDFs.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote