Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I think I have a PID problem

I'm trying really hard to get some Mobi pocket ebooks I unwittingly purchased to work on my prs505. I'm using Python25 and the mobidedrm002.py script (I've also tryed 005).

When I put no quotes around my PID I single quotes around my PID I get an "invalid file" message.

When I put single quotes I get an "invalid PID checksum" message.
I've been working at this for a few days now and can't seem to get anything to work.

I'm wondering if the PID I'm using, which I'm retrieving from within Calibre. I don't own a Kindle so is my PID valid or is that my problem?
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
How are you reading the MOBI ebooks? If you are using Windows MobiPocket Reader, then your PID is listed under "Reading Devices" (left pane).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You need whatever PID was encoded into the books when you downloaded them. Can you go back to the retailers site and get it from there? Do you have the Mobi desktop software and do the books work in it? If so they have that PID encoded which you can get in that software by going to Help-->About

There is no need for any kind of quotes around the PID.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I'm reading from the Mobipocket reader on windows and getting the PID from the "reading devices." I can get the PID fine, but I can't get the script to work.

I've heard that the quotes are necessary so I keep trying with and without them.

Any other suggestions?
Old 09-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader

When I remove the quotes I still get the "invalid file" message. The book I'm trying to access is a .prc file, but I know that it's a compilation of several books. I bought a classic book set. Could that have anything to do with my problem?
Old 09-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
You might want to recheck your command line - DOS is very fussy about some characters. An example that should work follows:

mobidedrm002.py "ebook file name.prc" "New ebook filename.prc" PID

Putting the ebook names in quotes should mitigate any character/space issues. Your PID needs to be entered all capital letters, and you should be in the directory where your ebook is located before you type your command line. in example, the DOS command: cd desktop\my ebook will move you to a folder on your desktop called my ebook.

Let us know if you are still having problems
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
When I remove the quotes I still get the "invalid file" message. The book I'm trying to access is a .prc file, but I know that it's a compilation of several books. I bought a classic book set. Could that have anything to do with my problem?
I think you may have an old MOBI ("TEXtREAd") ebook format, see Latest MobiDeDRM Patch. It seems that a very few ebooks use this format and are also DRMed. If so (and you can check with a text editor) I don't think there is any known way to strip the DRM.

What is the ebook's title? I may buy a copy just to see such an ancient ebook.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader

When I use single or double quotes around the file name it gives a lengthier message and basically says the file or dir doesn't exist.
I've put the file I'm working on directly into my python25 directory to make things easier.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #9
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader

I purchased the 3000 classic books for $20. As you probably know, they then need to be downloaded from the site. I've tried the Dickens and Stoker compilations.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader

How do I check with a text editor? Can I simply open the prc file in notepad?
Old 09-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
Can I simply open the prc file in notepad?
Yes. Then look near the start for BOOKMOBI or TEXtREAd.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #12
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader

I can't see anything understandable when I open the file except for the author name.
I've also discovered that when I use the script it erases all the contents of the prc file.

I'm now getting a "no such file or directory" message.

I'm really appreciative of all the help here. It's really quite frustrating.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #13
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader

Sorry about this - I looked again and it does indeed say BOOKMOBI
Old 09-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #14
wallcraft
reader

So far as I can tell mobidedrm should work on these ebooks. I suggest looking in the comments to the dark reverser's weblog for the brand new version 0.0.6. You might also upgrade to python 2.6, but 2.5 is supposed to be ok. In addition these comments might contain links to eBookUtility, which is a GUI wrapper for mobidedrm. You need to edit a text file to make it work without a Kindle.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #15
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader

Well thanks for all the help friends, but I still can't seem to get this to work. I've now upgraded to Python 2.6 and have tried several scripts to no avail.

The message I'm getting is "Error: no key found. Maybe the PID is incorrect."

I've tried it with several of the titles I have and I've checked - they are indeed MOBIBOOK.

Any new ideas?