Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-18-2023, 12:55 PM   #1
Jackwc
Jackwc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Automatic Tag Change OR Tag Shortcuts?

Hey everybody! Long time user, first time poster.

I do a lot of e-book tagging, specifically sub-tagging. For instance, I might have a tag like "Subject.Art.History.Movements.Baroque" or say "Author.By Era.Elizabethan" (at some point I might make a post about how I organize my tags if people might find that interesting).

Anyway, this can make bulk editing a bit of a pain. When you're typing in tags like, say, "Subject.History.By Region.Afro-Eurasia.Asia.East Asia.Japan," the autocomplete becomes pretty useless for a person like me because "Subject.History" already has several sub-fields, as do the sub-fields underneath that, and of course the number of sub-fields is always growing.

Two questions:

1. Is there a way to automatically change a tag? For instance, if I simply put in "German Author" can I have it so that it automatically changes that into "Author.By Region.Afro-Eurasia.Europe.Central Europe.Germany"? Is this a feature of Calibre, or of a plugin? I know that I can have automatic filters on books I IMPORT INTO Calibre, for instance.

2. Is there a way to use tag shortcuts? Is there away, for instance, to have a tag like "Author.By Region.Afro-Eurasia.Europe.Central Europe.Germany" be tied to a shortcut, so I type in "German Author" and the tag autocomplete brings up the former tag as an option?

All the best.
Jackwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 03:28 AM   #2
arpeggioaccele
light mode user
arpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: I use the Calibre ebook-viewer on macos and Apple Books on ios.
There probably is, but how I would do it is just use "GA" (german author) to tag books at first, then search for tag:"=GA", select all books to edit metadata and add the correct tag and remove the placeholder. This would be super manual though.
arpeggioaccele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 10:53 AM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Look into Action Chains. It can automate multiple actions, including metadata edits, and bind them to a keyboard shotcut.

The built-in tag mapper can also replace tags. I don't know if you can trigger it with a shortcut.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 12:12 PM   #4
Jackwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Look into Action Chains. It can automate multiple actions, including metadata edits, and bind them to a keyboard shotcut.

The built-in tag mapper can also replace tags. I don't know if you can trigger it with a shortcut.
Hmm... okay, interesting. I'm checking out the extension now; admittedly it's a little complicated for me. How would you go about it?
Old 10-24-2023, 01:15 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Take a look at the attached chain. Here's how to import.

Alternately, User Categories might be a better option, you can add the author directly to one of those. In the Tag Browser, go to Configure > Manage authors... > User Categories. To nest them, use a period as a separator (same as tags).
Attached Files
File Type: zip GermanAuthorChain.zip (570 Bytes, 169 views)

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-24-2023 at 01:19 PM. Reason: It would help to actually attach the chain.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 04:33 PM   #6
Jackwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Take a look at the attached chain. Here's how to import.

Alternately, User Categories might be a better option, you can add the author directly to one of those. In the Tag Browser, go to Configure > Manage authors... > User Categories. To nest them, use a period as a separator (same as tags).
I actually do that very thing! Hence the issue: the problem is that, I have so many tags and the nesting categories are so LONG that it can be a pain to type it all out when tagging new books
Old 10-26-2023, 04:36 PM   #7
Jackwc

Okay, I found a workaround that works for me, in case someone else comes along this thread:

Preferences > Tweaks > Completion mode when editing authors/tags/series/etc.

Change
Quote:
completion_mode = 'prefix'
to
Quote:
completion_mode = 'contains'
Not exactly what I was looking for, but still leagues better than it was before.
Old 12-18-2023, 01:52 PM   #8
ETruss
ETruss began at the beginning.

Device: Surface Go
Editing tags

While this did not exactly match what I was looking for, it made me think of how to change a misspelled tag. Thanks
ETruss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
metadata, tags