Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-08-2023, 03:50 PM   #1
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Importing PDFs with metadata

I am wondering about importing a set of PDF magazine issues into my Calibre library.

If I import tham via "Add Books" I get poor results because currently the only metadata in the PDFs is the magazine name, and I get a bunch of hard to distinguish magazines with identical names. I need the year and issue number to be imported as well, which matches how the magazines are published.

I can script exiftool (not the first tool I'd have thought of) to write metadata into each PDF.

But what does Calibre read from a PDF and put into things like dates and number-in-series?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 09:44 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You dont need to use exiftool, use the ebook-meta tool from calibre that will allow you to set all metadata in PDF including series. And that metadata will be read when adding the pdfs to calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 02:23 AM   #3
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
If the file names are meaningful and follow a pattern, Calibre can also read the data using these.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 03:52 AM   #4
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You dont need to use exiftool, use the ebook-meta tool from calibre that will allow you to set all metadata in PDF including series. And that metadata will be read when adding the pdfs to calibre
Ah, that's a perfect solution! Thank you very much.
Old 12-09-2023, 03:56 AM   #5
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
If the file names are meaningful and follow a pattern, Calibre can also read the data using these.
It didn't work out for me, maybe because I didn't use a pattern that Calibre was expecting.

But the ebook-meta tool is exactly what I needed, especially because I want the metadata to live inside the original file whenever possible.
Old 12-09-2023, 04:45 AM   #6
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
It didn't work out for me, maybe because I didn't use a pattern that Calibre was expecting.
You can define the pattern yourself, but I think the file name is only useful if the name is already reasonably meaningful.

If there are too many changes, the tool makes more sense

Quote:
But the ebook-meta tool is exactly what I needed, especially because I want the metadata to live inside the original file whenever possible.
You can write the metadata to the file anytime via Calibre
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
metadata, pdf