Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Nay! I say

There was not a big problem UNTIL those LCD monstrosities became common.

EINK displays with Page turn BUTTONS forever
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #17
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Doits:

I admire Ruben's code, I do. He knows this, I've told him privately.
Thank you very much again Hitch!

Quote:
But the OP probably doesn't know that the background-image won't work on some devices, and he does need to know, if it's that important to him. Ruben sort of always assumes that "everybody knows," but someone like the OP doesn't know, and likely, doesn't have all the devices to test. That's it. No worries.
Well, is not that I assume that "everybody knows", just I prefer to forget about the k7 format Things would be easier if we had not to worry about it. But k7 is still there (to complicate life )

In this case, when I posted my solution, I didn't think that Stephaan wanted that the ebook also worked in Kindle; I thought he only wanted an ePub. But after he answered your post, it was clear that he wanted an ebook that were readable on as much devices as possible. And my code doesn't work for the old Kindle models (that is, he won't see any background images in those devices).

Last edited by RbnJrg; 11-05-2013 at 04:29 PM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And me!! *waves hand in the air*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Nay! I say

QED, or res ipsa loquitur--so to speak. Take your pick. ;-) In English, "see what I mean?" ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #19
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Nay! I say

Three cheers for theducks!

Hip Hip, Huzzah!
Hip Hip, Huzzah!
Hip Hip, HUZZAH!!!

I prefer good ol' e-ink. I want a device dedicated to READING BOOKS, not watching movies/playing games (I have a TV/PC for that).

Plus the battery life, it cannot be beat!
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #20
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I love my good old E-Ink readers. It reads more pleasantly and I agree that you can't beat the battery life.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #21
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyyy View Post
----- [Spammer now banned. QUOTE REMOVED - MODERATOR]
This is totally not related. This cannot work in an ePUB.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-06-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
GMcG
Writer
GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How does it look like with a background image, if a reader prefers to read white text on a black background?

George
GMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #23
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hopefully the black background would win!

But it reminds us of an important point - eBooks are built very much around the concept of reader choice, not author control. When I overlook people using readers on a train journey, a surprising number have the text size turned WAY up. Design your page with this possibility in mind.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #24
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Hopefully the black background would win!

But it reminds us of an important point - eBooks are built very much around the concept of reader choice, not author control. When I overlook people using readers on a train journey, a surprising number have the text size turned WAY up. Design your page with this possibility in mind.
Yes. It's really shocking how large the font sizes are that are used. We all tend to think, when we discuss ADE or KP, sort of around the default font size, but a key selling point for e-readers is people being able to read without glasses, or to read on public transportation without having to squint, thus, the large fonts. It's never really a problem with fiction, but with non-fiction, it can be a bitch. (Design-wise, I mean).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #25
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Interesting design question how you lay out a book when it can suddenly become a large print book. Makes narrow columns and pull quotes not so pretty.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #26
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Interesting design question how you lay out a book when it can suddenly become a large print book. Makes narrow columns and pull quotes not so pretty.
Floating pullquotes will break at a certain size font... and even small tables at three columns wide will (most likely) go off the screen.

Couple this with a small device (smartphone, ereader, tablet), and you break nearly all design decisions beyond the very basics (left/center/right alignment, margins, padding, bold/italics/smallcaps, ...).

Here is an actual EPUB that I posted + code + images showing a floating box that I use (it looks good at small/medium fonts, and breaks at larger fonts):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222952

This also brings up the whole what to do with Tables... You have the camp who would plop an image of the table into the EPUB, and the camp that converts the table fully to HTML.

I tend go on the side of the HTML tables:

Pros:
  • It follows all user preferences
    • font, font-sizes, margins, ...
  • Extremely small file size
    • It is HTML, which compresses VERY well
  • Perfectly crisp digital text.
  • Follows CSS.
    • This allows you to easily update the look of all tables in one fell swoop.
  • Easy to edit
    • In some cases, you might want to "verticalize" a table (to make it easier to read on a small/thin device).
  • Searchable
  • Copy/Pastable

Cons:
  • The table may flow off the edge of the device at large font-sizes.
  • May not transfer well to a device which cannot handle tables (original Kindle).

Tables as Images:

Pros:
  • Can easily scale the image to fit an entire table on any device size.
  • Will look the same on all devices (Kindle, Nook, PC, Kobo, ....)
  • Easy to code (just treat it like any image)
  • Works on any device as long as it can display that image format.

Cons:
  • Does not follow user preferences
  • On a small device, even if you stretch the image to fill up the entire screen, the actual information in the table can be unreadable.
    • Although there are certain readers where you can click on an image, and pan/scan the full resolution image.
  • Once you create the image, it is stuck at that resolution
    • The thing that irked me initially about these was the EXTREMELY small resolution certain tables were inserted with. On higher resolution/larger devices, these images will become unreadable postage stamps.
    • I see this problem getting only worse as the really high resolution devices come out (think newest Kindle).
  • Text in the image does not scale well.
  • Depending on how many tables/images there are in the book, this can seriously bloat your EPUB.
  • Not easily editable.
  • Not searchable.
  • Let us say you come back to your book when a future format has come out (let us say, a decade from now), you will have to redo all of these images and update them to higher quality/resolution.

It is up to you to weigh the pros/cons of the design decisions, and keep this in mind when designing the ebook.

I personally believe trying to match the look of the original book will outweigh the con of someone somewhere making an EXTREMELY LARGE size font on their small ereader.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-12-2013 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Added some table information
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #27
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think us in the old eyes camp will rise up in revolt at pretty but unreadable pages!

Down with beauty (a rather ephemeral concept), Up with legibility!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Large type books did NOT have the same physical page size as their standard type counterpart.

So why would you destroy a good looking book just so some idiot can cram it on a suboptimal screen?

A single line of text (minimal margins, Under 1.5em indent) at Medium zoom on my 5" Astak appears (every word is there) just as it does in the mass market paperback. All that is missing is the extra lines because a paperback is 9:16 and the screen is 3:4

If they really need to magnify it that much, they need to use a larger screen, similar to obtaining the 'Large print edition'

One size does not fit all and it is time to tell the PC regulators where to go. Cram them into a 6cm office
Old 11-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #29
mrmikel
Color me gone

So us old folks have to have a 10" tablet, eh? Wait til the kids hear about this. They won't want to be caught dead with an OLD FOLKS tablet!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #30
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
So us old folks have to have a 10" tablet, eh? Wait til the kids hear about this. They won't want to be caught dead with an OLD FOLKS tablet!
A 7" tablet is about the size of the Large print books I have seen

And yes, you should be required to use the proper tool for the job rather than force others to suffer for your vanities sake.

Why don't the governments require all telecom devices sold support communication for: Vision Impaired, Hearing impaired use. Someone with one of those limits may want to call you.

OSFA is an absurd concept.

We have wheel chair accessible restrooms (WC) at the top of ski chair lifts because of OSFA regulation.

FWIW there are programs (funded by taxes on your phone service) for those that need to use special devices. TTY relay service is one. Strobe light (bells) and other specialized needs phones are subsidized.