Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #1
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm
KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4
Question Mac M1: Kobo Aura H20 looses connection

Hi Guys,
I am running a new Macbook Pro M1 since last November. The last few months it worked as a charm using an USB2-Hub.
Then suddenly i had a corrupt db on the Kobo (which i never ever had before, not on windows, not on linux).
I did not manage to get it to work again, so i factory resetted the H20.
Now it runs again, but whenever i transfer books to the Kobo, it looses connection to the Kobo. Sometimes on the first book, sometimes on the 5th, but i didn't manage to transfer more than 10 books i a single command.
Since i have more than 1500 books to transfer due to the factory reset mentioned, this is a bit of a hassle.

I am running Calibre 5.28 with Kobo Extended Plugin
Kobo is on latest firmware

If i am not transferring books, i can keep the kobo connected, it never looses the connection - the problems only start when transferring books. Any ideas?

The error is always:

Code:
'OEBPS/Text/Titlepage.xhtml'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 89, in run
  File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 595, in _upload_books
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver", line 400, in upload_books
    return super(KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED, self).upload_books(
  File "calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 2137, in upload_books
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver", line 211, in _modify_epub
    container = KEPubContainer(infile, common.log, self.clean_markup)
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container", line 119, in __init__
    self.__run_async_over_content(self.forced_cleanup)
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container", line 375, in __run_async_over_content
    self.__run_async(func, names)
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container", line 368, in __run_async
    future.result(timeout=10)
  File "concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 432, in result
  File "concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 388, in __get_result
  File "concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container", line 310, in forced_cleanup
    self.flush_cache()
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container", line 170, in flush_cache
    self.__run_async(self.__flush_cache_impl, args)
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container", line 174, in __flush_cache_impl
    self.commit_item(name, keep_parsed=True)
  File "calibre/ebooks/oeb/polish/container.py", line 1025, in commit_item
  File "calibre/ebooks/oeb/polish/container.py", line 1011, in serialize_item
KeyError: 'OEBPS/Text/Titlepage.xhtml'

Last edited by KoopaOne; 10-06-2021 at 10:31 AM. Reason: added error
KoopaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:37 PM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I am curious: Are you able to try plugging directly into your Mac rather than going through the USB hub?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2021, 10:53 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoopaOne View Post
Hi Guys,
I am running a new Macbook Pro M1 since last November. The last few months it worked as a charm using an USB2-Hub.
Then suddenly i had a corrupt db on the Kobo (which i never ever had before, not on windows, not on linux).
I did not manage to get it to work again, so i factory resetted the H20.
Now it runs again, but whenever i transfer books to the Kobo, it looses connection to the Kobo. Sometimes on the first book, sometimes on the 5th, but i didn't manage to transfer more than 10 books i a single command.
Since i have more than 1500 books to transfer due to the factory reset mentioned, this is a bit of a hassle.

I am running Calibre 5.28 with Kobo Extended Plugin
Kobo is on latest firmware

If i am not transferring books, i can keep the kobo connected, it never looses the connection - the problems only start when transferring books. Any ideas?

The error is always:

Code:
'OEBPS/Text/Titlepage.xhtml'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 89, in run
  File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 595, in _upload_books
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver", line 400, in upload_books
    return super(KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED, self).upload_books(
  File "calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 2137, in upload_books
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver", line 211, in _modify_epub
    container = KEPubContainer(infile, common.log, self.clean_markup)
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container", line 119, in __init__
    self.__run_async_over_content(self.forced_cleanup)
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container", line 375, in __run_async_over_content
    self.__run_async(func, names)
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container", line 310, in forced_cleanup
    self.flush_cache()
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container", line 170, in flush_cache
    self.__run_async(self.__flush_cache_impl, args)
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container", line 174, in __flush_cache_impl
    self.commit_item(name, keep_parsed=True)
  File "calibre/ebooks/oeb/polish/container.py", line 1025, in commit_item
  File "calibre/ebooks/oeb/polish/container.py", line 1011, in serialize_item
KeyError: 'OEBPS/Text/Titlepage.xhtml'
Are you saying that when you see that error, the device gets disconnected from you MAC? Because while that error is during the send-to-device, it is happening while the KoboTouchExtended driver is doing the work to transform the epub to kepub. I would expect that to be an error because the temporary files have been cleaned up by some process or something is blocking the updates.

Do you have the latest version of the KoboTouchExtended driver installed? This is version 3.5.3. Have you tried going back to the KoboTouch driver? This won't convert the book to kepub, but, it will show if the issue is putting books onto the device or something else. You can also install the Kepub Output plugin and convert the books to kepub before sending them. That uses the same code as the extended driver, so could show the same error as above. And if it does, would point to it not being a device related issue.

Also, what firmware version is the device on? The latest, 4.28, has some updates to improve the stability of USB connection. This mainly affects the newer devices, but, it also is for working with newer MACs. It can reduce the need for the hub.

The other thing that can help is to run calibre in debug mode and post the debug log. There might be something in there that points to the issue.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:23 AM   #4
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm
KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats
I am curious: Are you able to try plugging directly into your Mac rather than going through the USB hub?
Is not possible, since the M1 Mac only has USB-C Connectors while the Kobo doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Are you saying that when you see that error, the device gets disconnected from you MAC? Because while that error is during the send-to-device, it is happening while the KoboTouchExtended driver is doing the work to transform the epub to kepub. I would expect that to be an error because the temporary files have been cleaned up by some process or something is blocking the updates.
Yes, exactly. It does disconnect from the mac.

Quote:
Do you have the latest version of the KoboTouchExtended driver installed? This is version 3.5.3.
Yes, Version 3.5.3 as stated in the original post.

Quote:
Have you tried going back to the KoboTouch driver? This won't convert the book to kepub, but, it will show if the issue is putting books onto the device or something else.
No, will try.

Quote:
You can also install the Kepub Output plugin and convert the books to kepub before sending them. That uses the same code as the extended driver, so could show the same error as above. And if it does, would point to it not being a device related issue.
Will also try this one.

Quote:
Also, what firmware version is the device on? The latest, 4.28, has some updates to improve the stability of USB connection. This mainly affects the newer devices, but, it also is for working with newer MACs. It can reduce the need for the hub.
Yes, newest like stated in the original post.

Quote:
The other thing that can help is to run calibre in debug mode and post the debug log. There might be something in there that points to the issue.
Will also try this.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:58 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I
Yes, Version 3.5.3 as stated in the original post.

Yes, newest like stated in the original post.
For the record, you don't state the version of the KoboTouchExtended driver in the first post. And stating "latest firmware" does not work very well. I have had many people saying this and then finding out they were more than a year behind. And the way Kobo rolls out firmware, means there can be over a month where "latest firmware" is not determinant. It is probably picky of me, but, if it is stated clearly, then we can be sure of what is happening.

As the connection to the device is dropping, I'm curious about when. The driver is processing books one at a time. When it hits this error, the connection has dropped. The question is whether it dropped when it copied the previous book over, or after that.

Are any of the books updates to books already on the device? Or are they all new?

Do you know when this started happening? I'm wondering if it could be matched to a firmware update, calibre update or driver update. Or of course a MAC update.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2021, 08:43 AM   #6
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm

Quote:
Are any of the books updates to books already on the device? Or are they all new?
Do you know when this started happening? I'm wondering if it could be matched to a firmware update, calibre update or driver update. Or of course a MAC update.
It all started happening after i had a db error, which i couldn't fix and factory resetted the Kobo (as stated in the original post )

I think (but i am not 100% sure) that Calibre, the Driver and the Mac where the same before.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:05 AM   #7
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
It all started happening after i had a db error, which i couldn't fix and factory resetted the Kobo (as stated in the original post )

I think (but i am not 100% sure) that Calibre, the Driver and the Mac where the same before.
Acording to the Wiki a factory reset:
Quote:
Factory Reset

A factory reset resets your device to the out-of-the-box state. Specifically, it will:
  • delete all your account information (Kobo/Adobe/Facebook/Pocket/etc.) and side-loaded books on the device's main memory.
  • revert your device firmware to the stock version.

You might want to do a factory reset when:
  • files/database are corrupted on your device
  • you want to downgrade your device firmware
  • getting rid of hacks/plugins you installed on your device
So check your firmware version should be 4.28.18220.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:15 PM   #8
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
So check your firmware version should be 4.28.18220
It is 4.28.18220 (07.08.21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor
You can also install the Kepub Output plugin and convert the books to kepub before sending them. That uses the same code as the extended driver, so could show the same error as above. And if it does, would point to it not being a device related issue.
Converting ebooks with the Kepub plugin doesn't show any problems, it converted >1000 books without any errors.

If i send the already converted KEPUB's, the problem doesn't appear.

AFTERWARDS i tried to send 10 more NON-CONVERTED Epubs: Same Error.

But now i have at least a workaround: Convert them before sending to the device, thanks for your input guys!

Last edited by KoopaOne; 10-07-2021 at 12:25 PM. Reason: cleanup

Tags
kobo aura h2o