Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-19-2019, 04:44 PM   #1
Karmylla
Karmylla began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Aura H2O (v1)
Unhappy Screen somehow got broken? Need guidance fixing it!

Hey everyone!

A sad thing happened yesterday: I was turning my Kobo Aura H2O on - everything seemed fine, the display seemed okay - and then the screen split! A big white strip separated the screen: the bottom half worked fine while the top half is frozen as if the screen was powered off or asleep.

I went to the FNAC Clinic today, hoping for a fix, but I was told that there was nothing they could do; not only would the fix imply a new Kobo H2O - which they don't have anymore, it was discontinued - but the warranty has expired. So.

I went online and searched ways to fix my little issue, and on my research I came across many videos of people tearing their Kobo apart!
I found one that was very good, and in one of the comments, a user shared a link for H2O displays!

What I am hoping for is for some advice on how to do this, or if someone has done this before! Like, which screwdriver to use, etc., and if this display that I'm looking into buying is the correct one!
Any words of encouragement is much appreciated, I really love my Kobo H2O and I am very frightened of breaking it even more, ahahah

Thank you everyone!
Karmylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:25 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Can you post a photo of the screen?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2019, 07:18 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The doing isn't too hard. Getting an economically priced screen is the issue. Also I have a suspicion there is a calibration issue with eink.

A broken screen will have "frozen" portions or lines through it depending on extent of damage. The rear can crack without damage on the front. I had a Cover Story and the mount for eink had a big gap in one area. it had cracked there. It wasn't worth fixing.
I've also seen an original H20 with a damaged screen. Looked fine on the surface, but only a small part of panel updated. Very expensive to replace and then it might not work properly.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
Karmylla

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Can you post a photo of the screen?
I'm sorry, I should have done that in the first place! It is attached to this post, now!

As you can see from the picture, I have the machine turned on, and I am able to interact with the bottom half of the screen; the blank rectangular that separates the display starts at the beginning of the "0" from the Locked Screen, and ends on the top half that is compeletly frozen. On a side note, the screen light seems to work alright.

Thank you for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo H2O_broken display.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	170296  
Old 03-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Open it - the front bezel is glued on, you have to pry it off carefully. Note the bezel must not be damaged, since its essential for touch screen functionality (the shiny parts is for infrared optics).

Then you need a small philips screwdriver to take the back plate off, and the mainboard itself.

(If you don't have any tools, search for a precision screwdriver set or a phone repair kit or sth., although phones might have even smaller screws than ereaders...)

Display has two connectors (display + frontlight), the slots they sit in have latches/hinges to hold the cable in place, so to remove the cable you have to find out how to lift the latch w/o breaking it.

Exact type of display should then be labeled on the display cable.

You're ready to order replacement when you've reached that point.

Don't remove the old display itself until the replacement arrived, it's glued on too and unless the new display has its own glue strips, you don't want those to collect dust. Also double check if it's same size / type same cable - they're called flex cables but they're not flexible at all, and tear easily, so the cable has to be made to reach the connector in the right place etc. if you got the wrong part no point in trying to use it.

Take pictures as you go so you'll know how everything was positioned. If the display is not aligned correctly and anything pushes on it, it'll just break again.

Last edited by frostschutz; 03-21-2019 at 11:28 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2019, 02:48 PM   #6
Karmylla

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Open it - the front bezel is glued on, you have to pry it off carefully. Note the bezel must not be damaged, since its essential for touch screen functionality (the shiny parts is for infrared optics).

Then you need a small philips screwdriver to take the back plate off, and the mainboard itself.

(If you don't have any tools, search for a precision screwdriver set or a phone repair kit or sth., although phones might have even smaller screws than ereaders...)

Display has two connectors (display + frontlight), the slots they sit in have latches/hinges to hold the cable in place, so to remove the cable you have to find out how to lift the latch w/o breaking it.

Exact type of display should then be labeled on the display cable.

You're ready to order replacement when you've reached that point.

Don't remove the old display itself until the replacement arrived, it's glued on too and unless the new display has its own glue strips, you don't want those to collect dust. Also double check if it's same size / type same cable - they're called flex cables but they're not flexible at all, and tear easily, so the cable has to be made to reach the connector in the right place etc. if you got the wrong part no point in trying to use it.

Take pictures as you go so you'll know how everything was positioned. If the display is not aligned correctly and anything pushes on it, it'll just break again.

Thank you so much for the explanation, frostschutz! Very detailed, just how I like them! :P

One question though: you stated that the exact type of display is labelled on the display cabe; I assumed that all the Kobo H2O would have the same type of display, or am I wrong?

Again, thank you for the help! Much appreciated!
Old 03-21-2019, 02:51 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmylla View Post
I assumed that all the Kobo H2O would have the same type of display, or am I wrong?
I don't know. Sometimes there are hardware revisions within the same product line.

And on Aliexpress there are different products all declared to be for H2O.

Doesn't help that Kobo has more than one H2O either. (Even in these forums it's sometimes confusing which H2O people are referring to. H2Ov1 or H2O2 or ...)

Before you spend money for a replacement part see if you can open yours (w/o damaging anything else). Cause if this step fails then no need to spend for parts either. ;-) And once open it does not hurt to check what kind of display is actually inside.

Good luck
Old 03-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #8
Karmylla

Quote:
Cause if this step fails then no need to spend for parts either. ;-)
Can't argue with that reasoning, you're quite right, ahahahah

I'll do as you say, better safe than sorry! Thank you for helping out!
Old 03-21-2019, 03:52 PM   #9
Karmylla

One extra question: I'm trying to sync my Kobo to my PC, but since the display isn't working properly, I can't make a connection; as such, my computer isn't able to find the device.
Is there a work around?
Old 03-21-2019, 05:33 PM   #10
frostschutz
Linux User

If the touchscreen still works, you should be able to make a connection, just have to (blindly) hit the [Connect] button in the [Cancel] [Connect] dialog. Might take a few tries (from screen center downwards) but should work.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:05 PM   #11
Karmylla

Since I can't move from the Locked Screen, even though I try to blindly press the password keys, I assume I won't be able to connect my machine as I normally do.
Is there another way I can do this?
Old 03-22-2019, 05:43 PM   #12
frostschutz
Linux User

Oh, Pin lock? You'd have to enter that blindly too... difficulty intensifies.

Once you have it open you could just put the internal SD card into a PC cardreader and dump the partition #3 (#1 is kobo OS and #2 is kobo recovery, #3 is user data)
Old 03-22-2019, 06:05 PM   #13
Karmylla

Ah, that's great then!
Thank you for all the help and, hopefully, I won't break my baby :P
Old 03-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #14
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
Quote:
Oh, Pin lock? You'd have to enter that blindly too... difficulty intensifies.

Once you have it open you could just put the internal SD card into a PC cardreader and dump the partition #3 (#1 is kobo OS and #2 is kobo recovery, #3 is user data)
Hmm you sure the H20 models have a sd card as internal because from my understanding its a nand chip.
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #15
Karmylla

Well, I'm happy to inform that I was able to bypass the Pin Lock by entering the numbers blindly! You can't imagine my screech as I saw the bottom half of the screen light up with the front menu, HUZZAH!

I was able to save a new database, but now I wonder if I should save all my books to a SD card... What do you guys think? And how would I go around it? Do I just copy all the folder that are currently in my KOBOeReader and paste them into the SD Card?

Thanks again for the help

Tags
broken display, kobo, kobo aura h2o