Notices

Old 11-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
nozonyan
Enthusiast
nozonyan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Light problems with Epson V370

Hi everyone.

Just got my new Epson v370 (CCD), however while scanning a pocket book along the long axis the directions of the lights create glare and shadow zones.
As you can see here

https://imgur.com/hPcdCW4

no problems whatsoever while scanning along the short axis

https://imgur.com/SeJcWc8

but this forces me to scan single pages, which makes my work longer and defeat the point of buying a new scanner altogether.

Is this a known issue ("feature")? Is there a fix? Should I just send it back?
nozonyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
This is FOL (Fact Of Life) with the typical design of flat bed scanners.

The only "fix" is a workaround that involves breaking the back of the book so that the gutter is flat against the glass.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
nozonyan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
This is FOL (Fact Of Life) with the typical design of flat bed scanners.

The only "fix" is a workaround that involves breaking the back of the book so that the gutter is flat against the glass.
That sucks. I've scanned hundreds of book with my epson xp 205, which is a cheap multi, and never had such a problem. Wanted to upgrade to something that could make my life easier with bigger and illustrated books and I get this?
Old 11-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
All current flatbed scanners will show the "problem". It is the result of the book's gutter being lifted off the glass and the pages to the left and right casting a shadow in the gutter. When the gutter is aligned parallel to the lights and the gutter lifts off significantly, the shadow can be severe. In your first example, the binding is such that not only the gutter but significant portions of the printed portion of the page have lifted off the glass, resulting is shadows and reflections.

Aligning the gutter 90 degrees from the line of the lights reduces the issue, but thick books with little marging between the text and the gutter will still present problems. Pressing the book more firmly against the glass can often help, but too much pressure can damage the binding.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:29 PM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
There are solutions to this problem, but they involve a specialized scanning bed, or cradle and platen, that can hold the book at approx 100 degrees. You can see several different design options at DIYBookScanner.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:02 AM   #6
nozonyan
Enthusiast

Thank you for the answers. I guess I'll deal with it somehow.