Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #1
DomenicoSputo
DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Kindle Oasis Search problem

I have a problem with my Kindle Oasis 10th Gen.

The search window closes down anytime I reorient even a little bit the reader while typing. It is very frustrating.

Factory reset same as update the firmware to last version didn't solve the issue

Here you can see what happens: https://imgur.com/a/9ruBQGa

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200407_184833.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	178162  

Last edited by DomenicoSputo; 04-07-2020 at 01:10 PM.
DomenicoSputo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:19 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I tried it on my Oasis and it does the same thing as yours.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:22 AM   #3
DomenicoSputo
DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.DomenicoSputo can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

NO malfunction then? Is it like this for all? I find it very frustrating if I need to search and all the time the window closes down :-/
Old 04-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #4
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomenicoSputo View Post
NO malfunction then? Is it like this for all? I find it very frustrating if I need to search and all the time the window closes down :-/
It's an old bug: it's been around since at least 5.8 on Oasis 1 as well. It's probably a window manager bug: the wm uses the window titles to raise things to the right positions, and if it's instantiated with the wrong title, you'll see exactly this behaviour.

It's really annoying, breaks one of the fundamental benefits of e-readers (easy searching), really easy to reproduce, only goes away reliably on a reboot, and that Amazon hasn't bothered to fix it in so many years is a condemnation of their software development practices. Is a change to the effing font menu really more important than this?!
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:54 PM   #5
DomenicoSputo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
It's an old bug: it's been around since at least 5.8 on Oasis 1 as well. It's probably a window manager bug: the wm uses the window titles to raise things to the right positions, and if it's instantiated with the wrong title, you'll see exactly this behaviour.

It's really annoying, breaks one of the fundamental benefits of e-readers (easy searching), really easy to reproduce, only goes away reliably on a reboot, and that Amazon hasn't bothered to fix it in so many years is a condemnation of their software development practices. Is a change to the effing font menu really more important than this?!
Yeah, I fully agree, but reboot doesn't even help for me; really annoying. It is interesting to see what also happens on the Kindle experimental browser. It doesn't effect only the search menu but also the "3 dots" menu. This doesn't happen on the home screen: https://imgur.com/2mWQ9Z4