Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How has your spending on ebooks been since the agency switch?
The same; I am buying as many books as I was before 24 13.87%
Less; I have not bought as much as I would have before 131 75.72%
More; I have bought more than I would have bought before 3 1.73%
Other 15 8.67%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #16
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur
Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS505, Kindle 2 Int.
Definitely less.

There were two new releases I wanted to buy on Tuesday - one at $7.99 (which I bought) and one which was $25.95 (which I didn't).

Normally I would have snapped both up. Happily, being in the UK, if I can be patient enough the books will eventually appear on WH Smith and Waterstones for substantially less. I've pre-ordered the $25.95 one at WH Smith for £5.59 (about $8.50 I think). It'll be released on 6th May, so about a week after the US release.

Last edited by Grumpyreader; 04-28-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Grumpyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #17
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I've only bought a few independent publisher books on Fictionwise. I'm enjoying the Noir Masters series from Wonder Publishing.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #18
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For those not buying ebooks or buying less, are you turning to buying them in paper form? Just curious since maybe that is what publishers actually want.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #19
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
$1.99 or less

I grab the new freebie titles or the discounted or indie ones at less than $2. I don't care what the top end is. An ebook isn't worth more than $5 to me no matter what.
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #20
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
For those not buying ebooks or buying less, are you turning to buying them in paper form? Just curious since maybe that is what publishers actually want.
In the case of the two overpriced ebooks on Amazon. Didn't buy anything, so the publisher is completely out of a sale.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #21
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
No, I haven't bought a paper book since I got my reader, about 18 months ago.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #22
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
...In the 3+ years that I've had ereaders, I've yet to purchase a book. There is so much in the public domain that I haven't finished reading yet, I haven't paid attention to what Amazon/B&N/etc have for books.
+1

Money may be an issue, but the fact is that I have wanted to read for quite some time the public domain works I have read for free since getting my jetBook Lite Christmas.

In regard to hardcopies, I have spent $28.30 on magazines which are available from Fictionwise as eBooks in that time.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #23
McKGrif
McKGrif began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
I buy the paper book I want, and digitize it myself. Though I can't see why publishers would want that, since it has to be more expensive to produce and distribute paper books than ebook files
McKGrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #24
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
I haven't bought any pbs since I switched to ereading.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #25
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I only buy non-fiction in paper form. I only buy e-form for fiction. Pre-agency, I would buy 2-3 a week. Now it's more like 2 a month!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #26
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
This whole agency pricing model is a blessing in disguise, (for now). I'm actually making a dent in my TBR list. I should be through the list by about October, and I'm hoping they will have worked out the kinks by then.

From what I've seen so far, my $$ won't buy as many books as before. Obviously, without an unlimited budget, I won't be able to afford as many books.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #27
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Nope. Since I started e-reading 7 years ago, I've sold or donated most of my paper collection. The few paperbooks I've read in the last 5 years have been reference or library books.The few purchases I've bought have been reference type - medical or parenting. And a few baby-naming books that got passed on when we were done with them.

I do continue to purchase illustrated books for gifts for my kids and others, but we go to the library weekly for most of those.

Bree
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #28
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
no pbacks

I have not turned to pbacks. The only two pback books that I bought recently were reference books.

As soon as I got my first reader I basically stopped buying paperbacks and that was almost two years ago I think?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #29
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I seldom bought books even at 9.99, prefering to wait until the price went down. Since the prices went up, I've only bought one new book. In the meantime, I'm catching up on my classics.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #30
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
My goal is to use up what's left of my FW micropay. I bought six of the Sony store gift cards from Target at a 40% discount and will then use those once my micropay is used up. Oh, my library ebook borrowing has skyrocketed.

Last edited by advocate2; 04-28-2010 at 06:12 PM.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote