Notices

Old 04-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
cracking the DR

Hi all,

It's about time we knew what the DR looks like from the inside.
I finally have some time on my hands and have done the deed and opened up the beast.
Unfortunately I don't have access to my digital camera right now so I just took the first pictures with my mobile but more will follow later.

As for opening it up : it ain't for the faint of heart as expected.
In fact, I wonder if anyone can dissect it without doing at the very least some minor aesthetic damage to the device.
Not a lot of screws, I've counted less than 15 but they're star-shaped, not cross and most may not have the right tools in house to unscrew them.
A few hints for those that want to venture my way :
At the back in the middle of the device there is a rubber knob : you need to remove it , underneat there is an important screw.

The plastic bits that are above and below the Capacative buttons have to be pushed up (or down) along the device (not sideways).
When they are gone you will find 2 screws that hold the piece of plastic that functions as the Capacative button itself, underneat it is what makes the Capacative button work and it is very fragile so be VERY carefull when you remove it.
Actually you do not need to unscrew these screws so just leave them be.

But even then you're not home free... to get the whole device apart I had to apply force at certain points which are hard to explain. Maybe I'll get to that later but frankly I don't even think iRex people bother to open it up : they probably just send a replacement device when something breaks. Seen the repair price I got for repairing a broken-off USB port (300Euro) I suspect that's about what it costs to make a DR (+ shipping ?). (as you can see on the front.jpg the USB port is missing - it should be next to the SD card and the Special Purpose Port but mine broke off .. hope to be able to solder it on but I'm not an expert when it comes to such things so it may very well go wrong ).

cheers and to be continued ... ,
Benny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dr-back.jpg
Views:	1632
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	27412   Click image for larger version

Name:	dr-front.jpg
Views:	1469
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	27413  

Last edited by kleykenb; 04-10-2009 at 05:15 PM.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Thanks
So small a battery...
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

oooh... cool... thanks!
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:20 AM   #4
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
which one is the battery? the glowing silver colored down ?
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:09 AM   #5
myprecious
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDani View Post
which one is the battery? the glowing silver colored down ?
No In the first picture - in the upper right corner.
Advert
Old 04-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Then it looks like there's an awful lot of space for additional batteries, right?
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
myprecious
Zealot

If you look carefully you'll see, that because of the shape of the plastic frame, there's no space for additional batteries
Old 04-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Ah, too bad.

BTW. Cześć ;-)
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Wow, what an un-elegant design, to put it nicely... Did they really think it would never require maintenace? Or was it just a decision in an attempt to keep manufacturing cost low? (With the cost of the display and the lack of large-volume mass production?)

I guess that is also part of the reason for the battery choice: with a custom shape, a MUCH larger battery could have been fitted.

I still believe with some dremel action a space could be created on the same side as the original battery, but in the lower quadrant. Looks like the board is mounted asymmetrically, which might prevent a battery to fit on the left side.
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
You're very brave! I didn't think anybody would do this until warranties started expiring.

Thanks for the pics though.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 AM   #11
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
@kleykenb: Did you notice a trim pot like this one (on the PRS-500) that might control contrast?

Also, if you've got sharper and higher rez images, we'd appreciate them Thanks.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimulkan View Post
There are also other possibilities with this option: it looks like new refresh waveforms can be loaded from files on disk, and a certain "vcom" voltage can also be varied. I don't have the courage to play with these last 2 options however, and I am not even certain if iRex has implemented them.
Actually, I'm pretty sure adjusting this Vcom voltage in software via an ioctl() call does exactly that (if iRex implemented this function). I'll try that out when I have the time. Linky: More on the PRS-500.

Last edited by Grimulkan; 05-07-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #12
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimulkan View Post
Also, if you've got sharper and higher rez images, we'd appreciate them Thanks.
Yes, I know I promised new pictures but the lack of time ... and the fact that the my DR1000S doesn't function anymore kinda made it a low priority to me.
I'm actually going to post them on http://dr1000s.blogspot.com but when I get around to it I will definately post something here. Maybe this weekend I'll get around to it but don't hold your breath. I'll post them before the end of Q2 (tongue in cheek) ;-)
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:26 AM   #13
Viacheslav
Connoisseur
Viacheslav doesn't litterViacheslav doesn't litter

Device: iRex DR1000
Do you see any way to install a bluetooth adapter inside?
That would allow GPS with live mapping and internet anywhere through mobile phones for DR1000S.
Viacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #14
physics@war
Connoisseur
physics@war began at the beginning.

Device: none
So is your DR still useable?
physics@war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I think he said above that it doesn't function anymore. I'm not sure what the original problem was though, or why he didn't get it repaired instead of cracking it open himself. I'm certainly grateful for the information he's provided, but it seems like an odd thing to do.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote