Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Question Synchronizing my own books between Kobo Glo and Kobo Android

Hello,

I'm currently reading a lot of my own epubs (mainly from Project Gutenberg).

Is there a way to have them synced between my Kobo Glo and my Android phone?

I guess that you have to manually upload the epub files on both (I use calibre) but I would like to have the current reading position synced accross devices.

Did anybody succeed doing that?

Thanks
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploum View Post
Hello,

I'm currently reading a lot of my own epubs (mainly from Project Gutenberg).

Is there a way to have them synced between my Kobo Glo and my Android phone?

I guess that you have to manually upload the epub files on both (I use calibre) but I would like to have the current reading position synced accross devices.

Did anybody succeed doing that?

Thanks
You cannot sync sideloaded books only books purchased from Kobo.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Thanks for the answer. That's really sad :-(
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
It can be looked at as inconvenient. It can also be looked at as Kobo respecting your privacy by not learning what books you've sideloaded. I tend to look at it the second way.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
It can be looked at as inconvenient. It can also be looked at as Kobo respecting your privacy by not learning what books you've sideloaded. I tend to look at it the second way.
It would be nice to have the option to have the sideloaded books sync, though, like Amazon does--with the Kindle, if I want sideloaded books to sync, I can store them in Amazon's cloud by emailing the book file to the cloud. If I don't want them to sync, I can just sideload using the USB cable.

Choice is good

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I've thought about this a whole lot, and even though I have no real answer, these are some of the possibilities I have come up with.
  • It's simply a business decision. Having kepub only syncing results in Kobo owners being more likely to buy from Kobo and less likely to use Adobe epub files from them or anyone else. BTW, Kobo has to pay Adobe on a per download basis when folks choose to get that format from Kobo.
  • It's doable, but not a priority for Kobo.
  • It's doable, but there are privacy act compliance issues that the Kobo can't (yet) get past.
  • It's doable, but since there are no exceptions for personal use for drm removal in Canada, Kobo would have to risk legal issues arising out of hosting and distributing "illegal" content on their servers.
  • Some combination of those above.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
Sergiopt
Sergiopt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Even if you convert its format from epub to kepub?
Thanks,
Sergio
Sergiopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Correct. the only material Kobo sync's across Kobo devices are those bought from Kobo in kepub format. Even then, the sync is actually from the cloud down to each device, and not device to device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
Sergiopt
Sergiopt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Ok, now I know.
Thanks a lot, Peter!
Sergiopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Hopefully not treading on Peter's toes again (sorry Peter!)

As mentioned, side-loaded content, regardless of format is not synced between our devices / apps.

In addition to the file itself, things such as stats, awards, notes, highlights, and the position in the book (cloud bookmark as we term it) are also not synced for side-loaded files.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You NEVER step on toes It's great to have your participation here.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

< doffs cap > Thank you kind Sir. Happy to be able to help where I can.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
< doffs cap > Thank you kind Sir. Happy to be able to help where I can.
Hmmm... did you forget tugging the forelock?

Seriously, it's great having you participate in this forum.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #14
Sharkus
Evangelist

I don't have a forelock to tug

It's nice to feel appreciated
Old 08-15-2014, 04:43 AM   #15
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Hmm...

I'm glad I found this thread.

I have read VERY positive reviews of the Kobo Aura, and was all set to lash out and invest in one.

However, I already have a Kindle Paperwhite 2, and one feature I use regularly is syncing between the PW2 and the Kindle app on my iPhone, for use when I am out and about. This works for me whether the books are purchased from Amazon or not. I had assumed I'd be able to do likewise with the Aura.

Apparently not.

Kobo ads make no mention of this limitation, that I could find. It is, of course, Kobo's right to limit the sync function to books purchased from them. I understand that. However, I'm afraid that it is a deal-breaker for me, and it disappoints me.

Thanks everyone for the information. You've saved me $AU180, so my wife thanks you too.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote