Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad2 View Post
One question, how do I open rar files etc? My computer doesn't seem to recognise them.
If you are using a Windows computer, try 7-Zip. It understands most of the compressed formats out there. Non-Windows, I don't know what to suggest.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For Mac's looks like RAR Expander would be a good option --> http://rarexpander.sourceforge.net/index.html

As David said for Windows 7-Zip --> http://www.7-zip.org/
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #18
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
For Mac's looks like RAR Expander would be a good option --> http://rarexpander.sourceforge.net/index.html

As David said for Windows 7-Zip --> http://www.7-zip.org/
As others have mentioned, 7-zip or IZ Arc are good options for Windows.

For the Mac, hands down the best option is The Unarchiver, available on the web or on the Mac App Store.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #19
Ad2
Enthusiast
Ad2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
How cool, thanks guys. I really appreciate that. 7-Zip works fantastic and I was able to get the font I was hoping for. Can't wait to see how it looks on my Glo

Ad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a larger Modified version of Charis SIL.

If anyone wants to give it a try and let me know how it works with the Kobo, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?brs6539sg0whh1h
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #21
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Thanks Jon for the new version of Charis. I have been testing it (once I finally managed to persuade Mediafire to let me download the file - any reason for not attaching it to your post?).

The following also applies to your Charis SIL font.

First I renamed the files to use the Regular, Bold, Italic, and BoldItalic suffixes that the Kobo seems to use.

The main problem with both Modified and Modified Larger is getting Kobo firmware post 2.1.5 to display italics, and I have had very inconsistent results. At first Charis Modified seemed to be OK if I used the default US locale, but not if I changed the locale to UK (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206200). Since I have added on Modified Larger I can't get either font to display italics, regardless of the locale (I am cold rebooting after changing locale). That is, I can't get italics to display with your Charis fonts even on the default US locale.

I have my own version of Charis which does work with US and UK locales, on firmware 2.4.0. For this I renamed the font to Charisas (removing all spaces in the name, and internally changing the name), and added a United Kingdom language to the font. I do not have time to definitely test all the different combinations to determine exactly which change I made that has got the firmware to use the italics, but I do know it works where other fonts don't.

I have also raised this problem with Kobo support; they requested a sample epub that displays this problem, which I sent to them, and it has gone to second tier support. Fingers crossed this will be fixed in the next firmware release.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Thanks Jon for the new version of Charis. I have been testing it (once I finally managed to persuade Mediafire to let me download the file - any reason for not attaching it to your post?).

The following also applies to your Charis SIL font.

First I renamed the files to use the Regular, Bold, Italic, and BoldItalic suffixes that the Kobo seems to use.

The main problem with both Modified and Modified Larger is getting Kobo firmware post 2.1.5 to display italics, and I have had very inconsistent results. At first Charis Modified seemed to be OK if I used the default US locale, but not if I changed the locale to UK (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206200). Since I have added on Modified Larger I can't get either font to display italics, regardless of the locale (I am cold rebooting after changing locale). That is, I can't get italics to display with your Charis fonts even on the default US locale.

I have also raised this problem with Kobo support; they requested a sample epub that displays this problem, which I sent to them, and it has gone to second tier support. Fingers crossed this will be fixed in the next firmware release.
Not sure if this is your issue but I tried the ModifiedLarger variant and it did work for me.

Basically, I had to rename the four files to include the spaces in the font family name and came up with the following (I used Fontforge to see the font family name.)

Charis SIL ModifiedLarger-Regular.ttf
Charis SIL ModifiedLarger-Bold.ttf
Charis SIL ModifiedLarger-BoldItalic.ttf
Charis SIL ModifiedLarger-Italic.ttf

After copying the renamed files to the Kobo fonts directory, disconnecting from the computer and power cycling the Kobo, the ModifiedLarger font worked.

Edit: I tried switching to several English locales, French Canada, Spanish and Japanese and I saw no issues with displaying text style/weight other than oblique not working which it never does.
DB

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fontinfo.jpg
Views:	2014
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	102232  

Last edited by DNSB; 03-02-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: adding comment about locale testing
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not sure if this is your issue but I tried the ModifiedLarger variant and it did work for me.

Basically, I had to rename the four files to include the spaces in the font family name and came up with the following (I used Fontforge to see the font family name.)

Charis SIL ModifiedLarger-Regular.ttf
Charis SIL ModifiedLarger-Bold.ttf
Charis SIL ModifiedLarger-BoldItalic.ttf
Charis SIL ModifiedLarger-Italic.ttf

After copying the renamed files to the Kobo fonts directory, disconnecting from the computer and power cycling the Kobo, the ModifiedLarger font worked.

Edit: I tried switching to several English locales, French Canada, Spanish and Japanese and I saw no issues with displaying text style/weight other than oblique not working which it never does.
DB

Regards,
David
I've attached the renamed fonts. Please let me know if they are not correct. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Charis SIL Modified Larger for Kobo.rar (2.61 MB, 2706 views)

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-02-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll make that fix and attach it to this thread since it only is an issue on the Kobo.
Thanks!

Regards,
David
Old 03-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks!

Regards,
David
I've edited my previous message and attached the renamed fonts. See message #23.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've edited my previous message and attached the renamed fonts. See message #23.
The names look good. I've found the larger font shows less text on a page for the same font size as the last Charis SIL modified but does let me have an option for a slightly larger font when I don't feel up to editing the .conf file to use an in-between font size.

Regards,
David
Old 03-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The names look good. I've found the larger font shows less text on a page for the same font size as the last Charis SIL modified but does let me have an option for a slightly larger font when I don't feel up to editing the .conf file to use an in-between font size.

Regards,
David
It was created to more closely match the font size of the Kindle's default font but allow more text on the Kindle screen because the letters have better spacing and the lines have less spacing. I decided to release it to the wild outside the Kindle because some may find it useful to have a larger font without getting stuck with a size too large.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:23 AM   #28
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Your are a star sir! That works for me, and also fixes all the other broken side-loaded fonts, regardless of locale. Have some freshly baked karma.

I think the Kobo 2.4.0 firmware looks for a font file in the following format:

Font Family Name-Font Subfamily Name.ttf

Font Family Name must have the same spacing as in the font itself.

Font Subfamily Name is normally one of:

Bold
Italic
BoldItalic
Regular

You do not need a space in "BoldItalic", even if there is one in the font file ("Bold Italic").

.otf file extension is also supported.

Firmware 2.1.5 would find a matching font file even if there were no spaces in the file name but there were in the Font Family Name within the font. For some reason after 2.1.5 this was changed so that the spacing had to be the same for the font to be found.

Some of the built-in fonts are still broken e.g., Avenir and Kobo Nickel, presumably because the internal font file is actually called "KoboNickel-Regular.ttf" etc.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #29
ShellShock
Wizard

Customised Fontin

I have my own version of Fontin, which is my current favourite ereader font. Fontin comes from the exljbris Font Foundry http://www.exljbris.com/fontin.html.

I don't think the license allows me to upload it here?

Last edited by ShellShock; 03-03-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I have my own version of Fontin, which is my current favourite ereader font. Fontin comes from the exljbris Font Foundry http://www.exljbris.com/fontin.html.

I don't think the license allows me to upload it here?
Speaking of Fontin, I did create a bold italic version. But I would have to redo this plus all of the others if I was to actually use Fontin again. I may give Fontin a go and see how I like it since I now know a lot more on modifying the fonts and I can fix the line space so it's set to what I like.